Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl chisels

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

picked up a set of carving chisels this morning in lidl €23 not sure how good they are yet, box is still in the car unopened. One of them looks like a corner chisel though and that is what intrigues me as i know they can be hard to get, also looks like goose neck chisel in the set... I know lidl stuff can be crap but they will get me started. They are specials from last week so I can't post a link to the picture. They had a few sets left in the shop in finglas. I will open them this evening and have a look and let you know if they look any good. I just find it handy not to have to go looking into which carving chisels to get to start out with. If they break or are crap then I have only wasted €23 at least. Was hoping to do some letter carving at some point. Found this nice little you tube video as a link on the village carpenter website. Sure there are 100's more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Zrz0r2Nz4

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

opened the box, they are OK you get what you pay for. They are as dull as a box of rocks but i will just sharpen them as I use them. They are from 6mm wide to 14mm wide. I will have to get some slipstones actually!

Here are some pics of the box with the list of profiles that are in in in case you are interested.

I can't manage attachments in firefox for some reason, had to do it in internet explorer! I feel dirty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

Not bad for €23 and an introduction to the skill of carving anyway. I bought a cheap set of "bevel edge" (not really) chisels from Lidl a few years ago and I find them useful where I might be working on old timber with a hidden nail etc. Also good for removing paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

ha, paint and nails the last gasp of a crap chisel

:D

Advertisement