Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make-Up Artist School

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi Guys,
    I am mad about make-up and thinking of doing a professional make-up artistry course have ya any recommendations for Dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi, I did a basic course at The Makeup Room in Pembroke Place in 2007 and I found it great. I just did it for myself mainly but a lot of the girls went on to do higher courses and pursue careers in the industry.

When I did the course the fee was €1,000 but we were given kits worth about €650 with loads of really good brushes, makeup, kit bags etc to get you started. Your 'Portfolio Day' is also included.. They basically get everyone in for a full day with full use of the studio and a professional Photographer and you bring in your own models. They take before and after shots for your CV if you decide to take it further, lots of fun :D

Here's the website www.themakeuproom.ie

Skincare is also included as part of the course.. I really enjoyed it..

Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Beauty Addict

Thanks, that sounds good. Did you feel fully confident after the course that you would become a professional make-up artist..
    like for example if a xpose called u the next day to do a demonstration would feel confident enough in doing it?

i was just checking the make-up room there and their gone from Dublin City Centre ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I did a course there last year, it was over about 3 months. It was alright but not great, you certainly couldn't do the example mentioned! It focussed a lot on being a professional but didn't give you the skills to do it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pythia wrote: »
    I did a course there last year, it was over about 3 months. It was alright but not great, you certainly couldn't do the example mentioned! It focussed a lot on being a professional but didn't give you the skills to do it.

Yeah I'd agree with that, I learned some good techiques for doing my own makeup, particularly my eyes but like I said it was a basic course so wouldn't be going off to do any fashion shows :D The kit is great though, I still have most of my makeup from the course..

I did my portfolio day on the same day as some of the more advanced students and their stuff was pretty impressive tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Are there many job oppurtunities in make-up?
    I really want to do it after school but I heard there is not many:(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

You could have a look on the Brown Sugar Hair website, I know they have a link to their make up school and courses from there! They do great hair from what I've seen so could be no harm talking to them about their make up courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Done a course with the make up room. Its now based in a house just across the bridge in dolphins barn.
    the course with the kit is not available anymore.
    Its just a basic course. You recieve a cert at the end of it and we got a C.D with 2 photos on it. thats all we got to take at the course.
    In all honesty I picked up skills for myself not to go out and work.
    Had a number of problems with them during the course in how it was delivered and after also.
    the recession has sent them downhill.

Elliee wrote: »
    Done a course with the make up room. Its now based in a house just across the bridge in dolphins barn.
    Its just a basic course. You recieve a cert at the end of it and we got a C.D with 2 photos on it. thats all we got to take at the course.
    Had a number of problems with them during the course in how it was delivered and after also.

Awh thats too bad.. dam recession ha!

Are there many job oppurtunities in make-up?
    I really want to do it after school but I heard there is not many:(

I think there would be think of how xpose and the new 02 are developing they need free lance artists all the time i'd say. Also the big brands and shops lik mac, benefit, brown thomas they all hire professional make-up artists

• Advertisement

You could have a look on the Brown Sugar Hair website, I know they have a link to their make up school and courses from there! They do great hair from what I've seen so could be no harm talking to them about their make up courses!

ye not alot of info on their page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Just Enquiring

I've been trying to track down the people in The Make Up Room for the last couple of weeks but my phone messages go unanswered, my emails have permanent delivery failures and now the website seems to have been shut down.

I got a voucher for a make up course for Christmas and I'm hoping to either do the course or get some of the money back. Does anybody know what the address on the Crumlin Road that they were operating from was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Just Enquiring

Elliee wrote: »
    Do you have any contact details for the house they were operating from on the Crumlin Road as I got a voucher for a course for Christmas and I've been trying to contact them for the past few weeks without any success?

Not feeling too hopeful after reading about the problems you've had!

No I havin a clue!

But good news I found the perfect course!!!

I enrolled in LA Make-Up's Module 3 course. Its a 2 month full time course covering all the aspects of make-up from beauty make-up to airbrushing, special effects & photo shoots!

I am so excited you get to do work experience & there is a 1 year open door policy so after my course I can resit classes (if needed).

And OMG they have celebrity make-up artists coming over from Hollywood to teach us!

I'm starting on the 31st August so I will keep yous posted on how its going x

Check out my course at http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/c-d-become-a-professional-make-up-artist.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Affiliated??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Do you have any contact details for the house they were operating from on the Crumlin Road as I got a voucher for a course for Christmas and I've been trying to contact them for the past few weeks without any success?

Not feeling too hopeful after reading about the problems you've had!

The 'pricipal's name is <snip>, it's her you'd wanna go after.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭binga

i went to portabello school and trained as a make up artist full time for a year. to be honest i didn't find it very good and wouldn't recommend it. the course cost 7000 for the year, that included exam fees and kits. i worked on a make up counter for a year after. i would recommend doing a part time course or applying to the make up counters themselves to get experience. they will usually send you on courses. also youtube is great for inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

binga wrote: »
    i went to portabello school and trained as a make up artist full time for a year. to be honest i didn't find it very good and wouldn't recommend it. the course cost 7000 for the year, that included exam fees and kits. i worked on a make up counter for a year after. i would recommend doing a part time course or applying to the make up counters themselves to get experience. they will usually send you on courses. also youtube is great for inspiration

My friend trained at Portobello although I don't think it was the full time course, not sure. I met her on the set of 'King Arthur'. I also worked with her on The Tudors last year. She's working on it again this year. She also does make-up for TV. In an industry like make-up you learn the basics and then it's up to you if you want to push yourself to get ahead in the industry. It's a tough career choice no matter where you train!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭binga

Larianne wrote: »
    My friend trained at Portobello although I don't think it was the full time course, not sure. I met her on the set of 'King Arthur'. I also worked with her on The Tudors last year. She's working on it again this year. She also does make-up for TV. In an industry like make-up you learn the basics and then it's up to you if you want to push yourself to get ahead in the industry. It's a tough career choice no matter where you train!

well i know from my class of 15 not one is working as a full time make up artist. i decided it wasn't for me after working professionally at it and wish i hadn't paid so much money for the course.

binga wrote: »
    well i know from my class of 15 not one is working as a full time make up artist. i decided it wasn't for me after working professionally at it and wish i hadn't paid so much money for the course.

As I said, it is a tough career choice and involves stints on the dole or working in restaurants etc. But you can make a good amount of money if you get a stint on a production over the summer.

You're best bet to get steady work is to head over to London where there's more work, although also more competition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 weetobs

I did the evening class in portabello school in lower dominick street.its the fashion theatre and media makeup course....enjoyed it alot but very pricey....about going out there and working they say you learn 10% of your skills in college and 90% with experience.iv done some freelance work since and one of these included a wedding!scary stuf at the time but she was delighted with it.and you build up confidence this way.but check it out if youve got the money i took a loan out for it but in the end i hope to make my money back:)

weetobs wrote: »
    I did the evening class in portabello school in lower dominick street.its the fashion theatre and media makeup course....enjoyed it alot but very pricey....about going out there and working they say you learn 10% of your skills in college and 90% with experience.iv done some freelance work since and one of these included a wedding!scary stuf at the time but she was delighted with it.and you build up confidence this way.but check it out if youve got the money i took a loan out for it but in the end i hope to make my money back:)

Weddings is your best way of making an income!! Seriously, you can charge ridiculous amounts of money for a few (sometimes stressful) hours of work! ;)

dlambirl wrote: »
    Affiliated??

What do you mean? Like Brand Affiliated?

I know it sounds tough to get a job in the industry but at least LA Make-Up offer a work experience opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

do you mean you have to do work experience during the course??
    i thought it was all short courses they do??
    or do they mean they offer job opportunities after???
    sorry im a bit confused!!!!! :confused::confused:

it sounds like a great course id love to do it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tinker_bell

<SNIP>

Please do NOT post anyone's personal details, including private mobile numbers, on Boards.ie

hanner wrote: »
    do you mean you have to do work experience during the course??
    i thought it was all short courses they do??
    or do they mean they offer job opportunities after???
    sorry im a bit confused!!!!! :confused::confused:

it sounds like a great course id love to do it myself!

Ye I cant wait for it start! Em well I was talking to a girl on facebook who did work experience on the course with them & the work experience was body painting models on grafton street for a TV ad! Sounded like great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 !SJ!

Hey iam thinking about doing that course next year!its a good bit of money you have 2 pay so i want 2 know is it wort it!can uyou keep me updated please :) thanks

!SJ! wrote: »
    Hey iam thinking about doing that course next year!its a good bit of money you have 2 pay so i want 2 know is it wort it!can uyou keep me updated please :) thanks

No prob, today was my 2nd day, its brill so far! The tutors are amazing, they have worked on so many famous faces! its very professional. I learned so much already about my own personal make-up. Been experimenting all evening with different colours & tones!

il try keep you updated every week or so to let ya know how I am getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 !SJ!

hey thanks for the update so far!any downs about the course so far??do ye get a mid-term for example :)

• Advertisement

!SJ! wrote: »
    hey thanks for the update so far!any downs about the course so far??do ye get a mid-term for example :)

Hi sorry i didnt get to update over the course but it was brilliant.

No mid-term as the course is only 2 months full time, Monday-Friday.

We had great work experience, we worked on the roses of tralee for a photoshoot! We also had a team of 30 promotion staff in at 7am for full make-up & hair, of which we had only half hour each to get through them all so the pressure was on but it was great time keeping experience!

We had 4 Photoshoots for our 8 image portfolio folders. I loved them, you actually feel like you are at the back of a fashion show when doing a shoot!
    I actually loved them so much I went back to do another one last week, its great LA Make-Up have 1 year open door policy so you can go back & resit in on classes & photoshoots.

I am going over to do their new course in London at the end of November. Its 5 day 'Ultimate Pro' course taught by a Celebrity Make-up Artist so I can't wait!!

At the moment, I am waiting to hear back from my interview with Benefit & Im also sitting in on classes in the academy to get teaching experience.

So overall loving my new career!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement