Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to the Port French Festival?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

There's no mention of it the past couple of years. Has it completely gone by the wayside?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The main reason for it going by the way side is the same as most festivals in this country.

Insurance costs firstly.......also the fact that the pubs are the ones who make all the money but are very slow to put their hands in their pockets to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Its a shame. And the pubs are mad, they have to be missing out on business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oh they'd still have it.....if someone else paid for it all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭puremule

The main reason for it going by the way side is the same as most festivals in this country.

Insurance costs firstly.......also the fact that the pubs are the ones who make all the money but are very slow to put their hands in their pockets to help out.

I was on the committee myself for a couple of years and it was a nightmare trying to get the businesses in the town to support the festival financially. The majority of the bars would pledge €100 and considered this to be generous donation. Also most of them refused to apply for bar extensions claiming they would need extra staff meaning less profit blah blah blah. One shop actually gave us €5:eek: as their donation and no I didn't leave out any zero's it was a €5 note!!

Thats pretty much the summarized version as to why Portarlington has no festival

Advertisement