Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new pup

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Ok I need advice!
    I got a pup labrador a week or two ago and need help on how to train him to do his business outside...
    I've tried all the old mehods of stickin his nose in it an givin out to him but i just want to know am i going about it the right way or is there a less harser way of doing it?
    I know it will take time and effort but any advice on any aspect of lookin after my pup wud be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Please stop sticking your puppies nose into his own dirt, it's cruel, totally unnecessary and does more harm than good. The puppy does not learn to go outside, he learns to go where you can't see it.

The only way to teach a pup to go outside is through patience and reward, you catch puppy going on the floor, you pick him up, walk outside, put him on the ground, stay with him until he finishes going then praise praise praise. Bring the dog out every few mins, after food, after drink, after play, after sleep, when he goes you praise. If he does go indoors, blame yourself for not getting him out on time, it's not his fault, he's a baby.

To help with the nighttime, try crate training. Just ensure you don't leave him too long in it and for the first few months, it is necessary to let him out very late at night, then get up at 4 or 5 am to let him out again, he's too young to hold it for any length of time just yet.

Best of luck!

If you need anymore advice on training, check here, some of the people on here are geniuses (or should that be genii?) at getting a dog to do what you want it to do using nice gentle methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

Hello

Please don't try the old methods such as nose rubbing etc. They don't work.

The best training methods are positive ones. Everytime your pup goes to the toilet outside heaps loads and loads of praise on him and give him a treat so he associates going outside with good thing. You can also start saying the same word (such as 'empty') at the exact time he goes so he associates the word with the act. Then use it while praising

To avoid accidents inside you need to take him out really regularly and praise when he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

+ 1 on crate training!!
    I also got a labrador puppy 2 weeks ago and we crate trained him from the start!! He has only had 1 accident in the house and he really understands now that he needs to go outside to go!!! Anytime he goes outside praise him like mad, if he has an accident inside just clean it up and move on, don't give out to him!! Don't stick your puppy's nose in its own business, that's really cruel and it can actually damage their sense of smell!!

Crate training imo is definitely the way to go!! My pup loves his crate, its his space and he feels safe in it!! There's plenty of information online about crate training, it's so easy and effective! Good luck with your puppy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is the pup? as it takes weeks, even months to train a pup so dont expect it all in a week.
    Please dont rub his nose in it either, its so cruel.

As the other posters said, positive rewards and patience. My dog was 7 months before he fully house trained, some dogs take longer than others, makes can take longer than females too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Misticalz2003

He is only 7 weeks and im not saying I'm in a rush for him to be trained was just askin advice on the best way too get him trained as i didnt like to stick his nose in it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

7 weeks?? how old was the pup when you got it? it shouldnt be taken from the mother til around 8 weeks.

If you didnt want to stick his nose in then you shouldnt have in the first place.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Seven weeks?!!! That puppy was far too young to have left his mother yet. :(

I also agree with the other posters, please don't stick your puppy's nose in the mess. Aside from being quite disgusting, it actually has the opposite effect on training; it teaches him that to go to the toilet is wrong, and because he obviously has to go to the bathroom he will start doing it under chairs and tables and places you can't see to avoid your getting mad at him. Also, please remember that your puppy is only a baby and toilet training will probably take weeks if not months (depending on you puppy).

Some helpful tips include;
    1. Never punish him after he has had an accident, he won't know what he's being punished for. If you catch him in the act of going to the toilet in the house, a deep (but not loud, and don't shout) 'No' to show him that's wrong and take him straight to where you want him to toilet. Once he has done his business, praise, praise, praise!
    2. Take him to the same spot, through the same door every time.
    3. Please remember that puppies have only little bladders and no control so he will need to get out often i.e. when he wakes from a nap, after eating, after drinking, after playing and pretty much anytime he gets excited. Set up a routine for him and it will make toilet training so much easier. If you work and can't be there during the day, have a neighbour, friend or family member come over once or twice to let him out to the toilet (like I said, puppies are only babies with little bladders and can't be expected to hold all day).
    4. Have patience. Training a puppy takes time and you will only make him nervous and more prone to accidents if you get cross or frustrated. Always rember to praise lavishly when he goes where you want him to go. Puppies want to please you and will learn much quicker with gentle, positive methods.
    5. Read up on crate training as it really is a fantastic tool to help train your puppy. Most puppies want to keep their beds clean (the exception being those who have come from puppy mills or pet stores and were left in their own mess and so were taught to go in their beds. These puppies will be very hard to train, through no fault of their own, and extra patience is required).

So the pup was 5 or 6 weeks old when you got him?

Did you get him from a friend or did you buy him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

So the pup was 5 or 6 weeks old when you got him?

Did you get him from a friend or did you buy him?

I wonder is this op for real or is it a wind up ???????????

I'd imagine the OP is probably just not very well informed. I mean her opening line was
    I got a pup labrador a week or two ago
    and in fairness to the OP I'm terrible with time as well. I have been known to say something "a few months ago" when it may have been last week and vice versa.

For the pups sake I hope the op is just a bit mixed up with how old the pup is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd imagine the OP is probably just not very well informed. I mean her opening line was and in fairness to the OP I'm terrible with time as well. I have been known to say something "a few months ago" when it may have been last week and vice versa.

For the pups sake I hope the op is just a bit mixed up with how old the pup is.

Can yas all just relax and stop biting the head off the poor girl. She's come here to get some advice and a bit of help. Not to be told off.

If someone sold her the pup too soon, it's hardly her fault. The best thing to do is give her good advice. She's already taking steps to looking after her pup well just by getting advice on here. Most people wouldn't even bother.

As mentioned in the above post, the pup could easily be nine or ten weeks and the OP said seven by mistake.

Either way, she has the pup now so how about she's given advice like she asked and not told off and ganged up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

cloudy day wrote: »
    I wonder is this op for real or is it a wind up ???????????

It's not up to you to decide. I don't see anything wrong with the ops post. As helena said sometimes time is hard to tell, especially if you've been very busy like with a new pup. The op hasn't elaborated on how she got the pup so early but there may be a reason. Op i suggest like others- running out with the pup when it starts to go and then praise. And bringin the pup out onto the grass after meals and other things help too. I had puppy mats with newspaper at night time and she went on it 80% of the time. When they're that young they can't hold anything for long so they'll just go, like a baby would. Giving out to the pup a while after its gone indoors doesn't help as they don't remember so they won't understand why they're in trouble. Best of luck. Oh and at night making their area smaller helps, especially if you're using mats or paper, if they've a large area they won't remember where the toilet is.

OP if the dog is that young he may need some extra help in certain apects of development, like bite inhibition and it will be more difficult to toilet train him. Can you try figure out exactly how long you have the pup and how old he is. Some people here can give some very good advice on how best to deal with a pup that young.

If he was sold to you before 8 weeks, please please please report the breeder (I don't know where to, maybe another poster can let you know if there is somewhere to go with a complaint like that). If you got the pup before 8 weeks from a friend/aquaintence, maybe you could mention that you heard a pup shouldn't be taken that early, even suggest the do some research if they intend to breed again.

Everybody has a learning curve when they get a new animal, even if you've had pets for years, each pet is different and you have to change your methods with them to an extent. You said you didn't feel right sticking his nose in it. In future, trust your instincts, if it feels wrong for your dog, don't do it. Again, many people here are more than happy to give advice on different training methods.

I got the pup off a friend who's dog had pups and if im right he is about 8 weeks now and was 7 when i got him couldnt be 100% sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

star-pants wrote: »
    It's not up to you to decide. I don't see anything wrong with the ops post. As helena said sometimes time is hard to tell, especially if you've been very busy like with a new pup. The op hasn't elaborated on how she got the pup so early but there may be a reason. Op i suggest like others- running out with the pup when it starts to go and then praise. And bringin the pup out onto the grass after meals and other things help too. I had puppy mats with newspaper at night time and she went on it 80% of the time. When they're that young they can't hold anything for long so they'll just go, like a baby would. Giving out to the pup a while after its gone indoors doesn't help as they don't remember so they won't understand why they're in trouble. Best of luck. Oh and at night making their area smaller helps, especially if you're using mats or paper, if they've a large area they won't remember where the toilet is.

I've heard that cardboard and paper isn't great as dogs actually like to go on it and the feel of it (and how they can rip and scrape it etc.) encourages them to go on it too.

Dogs are just the same as us. They don't want to go to the toilet where they are eating/sleeping. I keep my dog both inside and outside. Outside in the day because I think it'd be cruel to have her locked inside when there's a big garden outside and inside in the evening when she can rest. She only ever goes in the garden and she learned that herself.

She never goes to the toilet where she sleeps at night or in the evening when I let her inside. She even goes to the door in the evenings to be let out the back and that wasn't through training, she does it herself instinctively. She also goes soon after she's let out in the morning but never in her bed area. Your puppy will learn as time goes on but I wouldn't worry too much about it now OP.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

There are mats you can buy,, not that expensive euther,, they train the dog to go to the toilet in the one spot every time..how they work i dont know buy my friends has them for her dogs and she found them great..
    Also,, never give negative commands to the dog,, never give out to it,,be positive and it will pay off in the end..

1 more thing,, make sure the dog is well vacinated and wormed.. there is a disease / virus called Parvo and is deathly to pups if the catch it,, 90% of cases die from it, so do not let the pup near other dogs or dont take for walks outside your house until it receives its last inhjections ( leave a week or so after the final one ) and you are flyin it. good lukcx with the dog,, labs are a great breed.

Ya i was told that alri so he has had his first shot and second one due and he was given his worm tablet and i havent taken him for walks yet like you said.

He just adorable tho pure pet lol i miss him wen im in work lik how sad is dat lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

our golden took 5 days to train and no more accidents our newf on the other hand was still having accidents up till he was 9 months. when he did go nothing for it but a mop (kitchen paper is of no use for a newfy accident). no point giving out to him just kept reinfocing the good behaviour.

enjoy your puppy

download this and read it its excellent

http://www.siriuspup.com/pdfs/BEFOREphotos.pdf

Advertisement