Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Dublin to Newry

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am living in Dublin and am due to head up to newry next week. The place I have to go is the Forkhill road, Newry. This road it just at the end of the M1 motorway and is the first exit off the roundabout.

As i don't know anything about the area as i have not been up the north before and am a little concerned as to the "troubles" up their and the whole loyalist/catholic feuds, can anyone advise me on this area and if there is any "troubles" that take place around this area?

Cheers.

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was only up that direction on Friday, the only "trouble" was the road diversion via Omeath and the hour traffic jam entering Newry on the canal road. :mad:

Change your registration plate to yellow and you will be fine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Where exactly do you expect to find a Loyalist on the Forkhill Road in Newry? You are more likely to encounter a dancing elephant in a tutu.

Apart from anything else this area has been flooded with shoppers from all over Ireland for the last year and they all seem to do OK, apart from being delayed in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Thanks for your replies. I wouldn't know where loyalists/catholics locate as I've never been up the north before. The only thing I know of is what I see on tv, hear on the radio and read in the papers.

djt0607 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I wouldn't know where loyalists/catholics locate as I've never been up the north before.

Easy Loyalist areas have red white and blue curbstones and bunting while republican areas have green white and orange. :)

Avoid the north coming up to the 12th July. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Easy Loyalist areas have red white and blue curbstones and bunting while republican areas have green white and orange. :)

Avoid the north coming up to the 12th July. :eek:

Yup... I'm arriving into Belfast International Airport on the evening of the 11th... gonna be fun!!!

• Advertisement

johnfás wrote: »
    Yup... I'm arriving into Belfast International Airport on the evening of the 11th... gonna be fun!!!
    They are practicing for it already, was on the Doneygal road last Friday evening and the place was crawling with armoured PSNI landrovers expecting the worst. I would avoid the North like the plague this time of year especially with a southern plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

tangent: the reason I first went to Munich was to avoid having to study for my masters over the summer in Belfast. But that was back when the Garvaghy road ****e was still happening and the whole of the north was full of roadblocks for the couple of weeks in July.

but on topic. South Armagh doesnt have sectarianism on a par with North Belfast which is always on the telly for it. Theres hardly any Protestants and certainly no marches to worry about that near the border. Your journey will be as uneventful now as it would have been a week before christmas.

Your biggest problem will be more mundane like a possible traffic jam before the roundabout or a longer wait if they are blasting rocks at the roundabout for the new motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

You've nothing to worry about going north.

You've nothing to worry about going north.
    The tourists on this open top bus wouldn't agree with you on that statement.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0621/belfast.html

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I was shopping in Newry for the first time yesterday, its grand, I'd say that every three out of five cars had ROI number plates. And there was a giant sign by the Buttercrane shopping centre that read 'your euro's go further'.

It was all very friendly & it was class when driving on the M1 all the road signs, road markings and speed limits suddenly changed to UK standards. That was the border, simple. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

johnfás wrote: »

They're going to eat your children alive up there...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The only thing I know of is what I see on tv, hear on the radio and read in the papers.

And these reports don't say where things happen? Like you might get involved with Limerick gangs when going to Lahinch, sure it is near enough. And being in Dublin is dangerous with all of those murders, you'll be wise to stay in Newry.
    Your journey will be as uneventful now as it would have been a week before christmas.

More so, there was fierce traffic the week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Dublin is much more dangerous than Northern Ireland. People have better things to do than to wait for a stray tourist to pray upon.

Advertisement