Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone had any luck getting money back from Sky?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

ok, ok, ok. so i'm an idiot for not noticing. now we've got that out of the way

seems that for a while some chap in england has been putting their sky subscription on *my* credit card.

i'v been trying to get a redund from sky.

today they told me (and i quote)

"let me tell you what sky is going to do for you... nothing!"

that was the way he call centre manager said it.

it was only with great reluctance (and i think about 6 or 7 phone calls) that they agreed to stop the transactions in the future.

what are my options?
    --
    simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

cancel your credit card.

have you tried getting the money back from your cc provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I would initiate a chargeback with your credit card company.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Contact your credit card company and explain the situation.
    Any charges that were taken inthe last 6 months will be charged back to you, as they can only do chargebacks for 6 months from the time of complaint.

As a precursor to this, ring Sky back and explain that they are fraudulent transactions and that you are initiating chargeback proceedings with your credit card company. These chargebacks are expensive for the company involved so they might back down once you tell them this.

I had a similar situation a few years ago where someone in the US had used my credit card details (dont know to this day how they got them) but as soon as I rang my bank they reversed the chargesand put a monitor on my account for any other charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Report Sky for their fraudulent charges on your credit card. They should have spotted the mistake when the customer's address didn't match the credit card, and yes they can (and should) check that. Report it to the Garda fraud squad.

Ring Sky back, ask for someone senior, and tell them you've reported their fraud, and you'll be taking civil action against them next, but you'll withdraw the complaint if they make a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭simonckenyon

the person who said "i'll tell you what sky are going to do for you... nothing" was the call centre manager.

i am in the process of going the chargeback route. after that it is the legal option.

not sure which of the seven stages i'm in. sometimes i feel like crying in frustration. sometimes it is just plain seething anger.

i just cannot believe that sky think this is a reasonable way to treat a customer.

the upshot is. don't pay your sky bill with a credit card. at least with a direct debit you have legal redress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

the person who said "i'll tell you what sky are going to do for you... nothing" was the call centre manager.

i am in the process of going the chargeback route. after that it is the legal option.

not sure which of the seven stages i'm in. sometimes i feel like crying in frustration. sometimes it is just plain seething anger.

i just cannot believe that sky think this is a reasonable way to treat a customer.

the upshot is. don't pay your sky bill with a credit card. at least with a direct debit you have legal redress.

Your issue is with the credit card company not sky. Very simple, inform the credit card co in writing & call their fraud helpline (not the bog standard customer service dept)
    Tell them that you did not authorise the use of your card for this service and that you wish for the money to be refunded. Also as you expect someone fraudently used your card, you require a new card with different card number.

Should take about 10 days to resolve fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

at least with a direct debit you have legal redress.

You have very little, if any, protection when using direct debits, especially with a "trusted" company like Sky that have access to direct debit plus (the ability to set up direct debits without your written or verbal approval). The IPSO have never taken action against any company that abuses the system, and most of the banks shrug their responsibilities, or will deny them outright.
    darc wrote: »
    Your issue is with the credit card company not sky.

I would say the issue is with Sky for charging one of their customers bills to the OP's card. It's Sky's mistake, from what I'm reading anyway.

There's a limited time frame on when you can do a charge back (usually 3 months), so a years worth of charges won't be reversed, unless you go at Sky for their mistake/fraud.

I dont think its entirely clear what has happened but fraud being the most likely, I've never encountered sky charging one customer using anothers card. In any case legally the payment contract is with the credit card company.

jor el wrote: »
    Y
    I would say the issue is with Sky for charging one of their customers bills to the OP's card. It's Sky's mistake, from what I'm reading anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭simonckenyon

Tony wrote: »
    I've never encountered sky charging one customer using anothers card. In any case legally the payment contract is with the credit card company.
    well they did to me. they said i could have authorised it. i did not.

anyway, what can i say. i was an idiot for not noticing sooner.

i am going through the process of claiming through the bank. i'm not holding my breath.

Yes but I think it was another party using your details

well they did to me. they said i could have authorised it. i did not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement