Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Southbound

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

Resurfacing works going on all day and night Sunday under the Kill interchange. The road is 3 years old and I havent noticed any problems there. Anyone know what the problem is/was? Two mile tailbacks this afternoon.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not even on AA Roadwatch, not on the schemes list on the Kildare roads site, very very strange indeed. It was only the inner two lanes and H/S they had up when I went through earlier today (obviously they had to have a lane to let traffic through!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

MYOB wrote: »
    Not even on AA Roadwatch, not on the schemes list on the Kildare roads site, very very strange indeed. It was only the inner two lanes and H/S they had up when I went through earlier today (obviously they had to have a lane to let traffic through!)

Still the same tonight. They were running the new surface over. Lights were in place, so they were defo planning on being there after dark anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wound it be anything to do with the water logging that happens on that stretch, the camber is terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It could be. You do notice that the slip road at Topaz is always flooded really badly whenever it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Surely the N/M7 runs East / West?

Portlaoise is west of Dublin, Cork is south of Portlaoise. I agree the N8 runs north south but the Naas Road runs west from Dublin, the N11 runs south.

Where did this northbound on the N7 come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

trad wrote: »

Portlaoise is west of Dublin, Cork is south of Portlaoise. I agree the N8 runs north south but the Naas Road runs west from Dublin, the N11 runs south.

The same people who advertise delays on the M50 southbound while approaching it from the M1 Southbound, when there are delays n the M50 westbound and no delays southbound from the M1 to the Port...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

its NE-SW bound

You could call the Naas road Nb or SB - WB or SB

Did you know that the south bound bore of the port tunnel is actually part of the M50 north bound. Only in Irleland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Did you know that the south bound bore of the port tunnel is actually part of the M50 north bound. Only in Irleland

Please stop this

"ONLY IN IRELAND"

Bulls***! :mad:

There are cock-ups in other countries you know! :mad:

1) Boston Big Dig - flooding, collapsing ceilings etc.
    2) London's M25 - does is still have a dual 2 lane section approaching the A10 junction?
    3) New section of A1(M) near Leeds where the surface was subsiding during construction!
    4) Subsided bridges along the M40 near Stratford upon Avon (maybe they're fixed now)!
    5) Terrible surfaces on the motorways in Belgium (well in the 1990's anyway)!
    6) Dangerous diverge off-slips in France (and apparently in Germany too)!

The list could go on and on...

In short, if you so don't like Ireland, just leave!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The traffic was at a complete standstill on Sunday 2pm approx. A wall of brake lights just after the Poitin Stil and before the Athgoe turn-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Please stop this

"ONLY IN IRELAND"

Bulls***! :mad:

There are cock-ups in other countries you know! :mad:

1) Boston Big Dig - flooding, collapsing ceilings etc.
    2) London's M25 - does is still have a dual 2 lane section approaching the A10 junction?
    3) New section of A1(M) near Leeds where the surface was subsiding during construction!
    4) Subsided bridges along the M40 near Stratford upon Avon (maybe they're fixed now)!
    5) Terrible surfaces on the motorways in Belgium (well in the 1990's anyway)!
    6) Dangerous diverge off-slips in France (and apparently in Germany too)!

The list could go on and on...

In short, if you so don't like Ireland, just leave!!! :mad:

I think the post was more to do with NE/SW on the N7 being incorrectly referred to as just North or South rather than bashing Ireland. Out of habit and laziness it has become the norm for people to refer to the N7 this way.

Also, the M50 pre-port tunnell was wrongly referred to as North/South when really it should have been Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise. With all signage and people referring to it as Northbound/Southbound it was a bit tricky to stop this bad habit when the PT opened (making the M50 into a more complete ring). So you could be travelling across the top or bottom of Dublin on the M50 in an East or West direction and signage and most people in Ireland would tell you that you're travelling Northbound or Southbound :confused:. If you're driving North on the M50 and stay on the 'ring' you'll end up Soutbound in the Tunnell. It should be 'Clockwise' all the way.

Makes no sense and would have been easier in the long run if we referred to these directions properly from the very beginning.

My reference to "only in Ireland" refers to the total inability of most people to recognise compas points ie. West v South. I believe that the N7 southbound is a throwback to the early days of AA Roadwatch.

What do you make of this?

M50 West.JPG

KevR wrote: »
    I think the post was more to do with NE/SW on the N7 being incorrectly referred to as just North or South rather than bashing Ireland. Out of habit and laziness it has become the norm for people to refer to the N7 this way.

Also, the M50 pre-port tunnell was wrongly referred to as North/South when really it should have been Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise. With all signage and people referring to it as Northbound/Southbound it was a bit tricky to stop this bad habit when the PT opened (making the M50 into a more complete ring). So you could be travelling across the top or bottom of Dublin on the M50 in an East or West direction and signage and most people in Ireland would tell you that you're travelling Northbound or Southbound :confused:. If you're driving North on the M50 and stay on the 'ring' you'll end up Soutbound in the Tunnell. It should be 'Clockwise' all the way.

Makes no sense and would have been easier in the long run if we referred to these directions properly from the very beginning.

Agree completely with what you're saying! I for one would have simply called the DPT the M1 which would also have sorted out this nonsense - and it would be one less TOTSO too! However, clockwise and anti-clockwise would work nicely too, especially with an O-Ring in place.

The problem I have with this 'only in Ireland' BS is that it shows no national pride on the part of such posters. IMO, there aren't many countries where the people at the helm aren't morons. The people running Ireland are morons, the people running Britain are morons, the people running France, Spain, Italy etc are morons. what I'm saying is that the in-competency shown here in Ireland is a global problem - like think of the cock-up that China (yes even China) made of the Three Gorges Dam project - like the new earthquakes it created, as well as drought etc. I just hope to God that Barrack Obama is an exception and that he will improve things around the world a bit!

Regards!

My reference to "only in Ireland" refers to the total inability of most people to recognise compas points ie. West v South. I believe that the N7 southbound is a throwback to the early days of AA Roadwatch.

What do you make of this?

M50 West.JPG

Agreed, it is complete nonsense, like what is M50 West supposed to mean? Maybe we should just go with Clockwise/Anti-clockwise, or rename the DPT the M1 and go with North/South for both the M1 and M50 motorways.

Regards!

I'm not knocking this country, just some of the over percise politically correct brigade that seem to work in the roads authorities in this country.

The photo of the M50 west I took about 3 years ago not long after the mis-mash that is Junction 13 / 14 of the M50 opened. It is technically correct in that the M50 does run westwards from there but the popular convention is that the M50 runs N/S. I'm all for clockwise and anticlockwise. The best I heard on the radio was "the N32 northbound". Figure that one out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can we leave this thread for the N7 resurfacing,, and put weird road names in another thread ;)

The best I heard on the radio was "the N32 northbound". Figure that one out.

Im guessing if coming M50 northbound and continuing straight thru to clarehall, thats what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No, the tunnel IS an integral part of the M50 in both directions. The M1 begins at the airport interchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Anyway, the new surface on the N7 SOUTH WEST bound, under the Kill interchange (que discussion on junction numbers) is really nice.:rolleyes:

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Anyway, the new surface on the N7 SOUTH WEST bound, under the Kill interchange (que discussion on junction numbers) is really nice.:rolleyes:

But it never was bad, why was it redone? Did they change the camber of the road, or drainage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

sdonn wrote: »
    No, the tunnel IS an integral part of the M50 in both directions. The M1 begins at the airport interchange.

?

I don't get the relevance of this (true) statement to trad's also true statement that the southbound bore of the DPT is "M50 Northbound", and vice versa; due to them not using clockwise/counter clockwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MYOB wrote: »
    ?

I don't get the relevance of this (true) statement to trad's also true statement that the southbound bore of the DPT is "M50 Northbound", and vice versa; due to them not using clockwise/counter clockwise.

Ah yeah looks like I got him out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

DWCommuter wrote: »

Apart from this section, is the surfacing on the "ryder cup" section of the N7 all the same? especially in the wet?

The M1 has a bit from the Airport north that has no spray and another section that has loads of spray and they're both from Balbriggan to Dublin Airport
    ana a big bump at the end of the Malahide viaduct (Southbound :) )

Advertisement