Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non itunes ipod software

Options
  • 21-06-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I have my mp3s on an 3.5" external hdd, I want to transfer my music to my ipod but I do not want to have to needlessly add it all to itunes, does anyone know of a piece of software which would allow me just to transfer direct without much hassle?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

My PC wouldnt let me open iTunes so i got one called "Poddox", it worked well.

As far as i know, MediaMonkey and WimAmp work too

• Registered Users Posts: 82,127 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So you mean you can own an ipod and never have to use itunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Overheal wrote: »
    So you mean you can own an ipod and never have to use itunes?

yup. been that way for a good few years now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_iPod_managers

Thanks, ill consider that the next time I snub the thought of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Overheal wrote: »
    Thanks, ill consider that the next time I snub the thought of getting one.

I honestly can't figure out if you're being sarcastic.

iTunes can be very handy but sometimes computers decide to not let it work

• Advertisement

Its just another layer of corporate DRM I'd rather not have taking up resources on my machine. Im sure it has its usefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

j0e wrote: »
    I have my mp3s on an 3.5" external hdd, I want to transfer my music to my ipod but I do not want to have to needlessly add it all to itunes, does anyone know of a piece of software which would allow me just to transfer direct without much hassle?

SharePod is easy to use and works!
    Here's some of the main features:

Add & remove music and videos from your iPod
    Add, remove and edit playlists
    Add & remove album art
    View and backup photos
    Copy music, videos and playlists from your iPod to PC
    Import music/videos into your iTunes library, including playlists and ratings
    Tag editing
    Drag n' drop to and from Explorer
    Simple, clean interface
    Quick to load and use with no unnecessary complicated features.

sharepod1.jpg

sharepod2.jpg

Ideal for copying all your music from an iPod to your PC, especially if the machine your iPod is currently registered to is no longer available & your iPod is the only source for all your treasured music.

Great for transferring your music form iPod to PC with the ability to automatically import to iTunes during the copy process too.

And whats more, SharePod is completely free! SharePod was designed from the start to be lightweight, quick and responsive, it has all (well hopefully most...!) of the features you need and none of the features you don't.

Note:

Avoid running SharePod and iTunes at the same time. Neither application will know about changes made by the other, and your iPod could get out of sync with both.

How do I stop the iPod from auto sync'ing when connected to iTunes? If I auto-sync, I'll lose some of the music that's only on my iPod!

While connecting the iPod to the computer, hold down the Shift + Ctrl keys. This will stop the iPod from auto sync'ing with iTunes. Wait until you are sure the iPod has mounted and iTunes appears.
    Right click on the iPod icon in iTunes' source column and select iPod Options, then check the box that says "Manually manage songs and playlists". You can now manage your library manually without losing any songs on the iPod.

Requirements:
    No installation required.
    Microsoft Netframework v2.0 or higher.

Download:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I honestly can't figure out if you're being sarcastic.

he's not, I was the same way for years. Itunes is a horrible application to run on a PC. the DRM, the conflicts with other devices (iTunes once stopped me from using my external HDD), the 1000 or so stupid services that need to run at start up, and so on...

however, now that my old Dell DJ is beginning to pack in i'll probably be getting a classic in the next few weeks, hurray for shareware!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can you use an iPhone without iTunes and still use all fuctions(DL Apps etc) I wonder?

There is a plugin for around 20USD for wmp player that will interrogate iPods. If you use that normally as you can just drag and drop playlists etc. Dont know the name, just google it :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

media monkey claims to be able to do what is required but as i dont have a ipod coudent be shure

• Advertisement
Advertisement