Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to UK colleges - medicine

Options
  • 21-06-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Heylo,

I'm going into 6th year in Sept and I'm just wondering whether anyone in the know could advise me on when to start preparing for applying to UK colleges?? Also I'd be applying for Medicine so could anyone recommend any universities that have a good reputation regarding the course??

I'd really appreciate your help!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

First thing I heard about UCAS (English CAO basically) was during higher options, and applications for Medicine had to be in a week after that.

Not sure which college offer good courses, but obviously enough Cambridge/Oxford would be pretty damn good!

Basically, I'd say as soon as you get back to school open an account with UCAS, start writing your personal statement etc. You have to do some aptitude test too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I dare someone to recount the entire story of 21, if they get an Interview somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I've heard of people trying for medicine in Manchester. Scotland is supposed to be good for doing medical like courses. Watch out for the UK colleges at higher options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 severussnape

Thanks a million. It's just this whole HPAT thing has thrown me completely off course. To be honest, I would have preferred to get in the old way, with 560+ points. To me that sounds a lot easier, and less stressful than the prospect of having to study for an aptitude test that's pretty much completely foreign to us, not to mention the LC. But sure, no point complaining I suppose!

Yeah, obviously Cambridge and Oxford are preeetty prestigious, but I heard like 2 from Ireland got into Cambridge last year?? Pretty damn picky. And you can't apply for both....which sucks. Apparently Aberdeen's moving up the ranks? Oh and any advice on Queens anyone??

Thankies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Theres no fees in Scotland whereas you'd have to pay in England or NI afaik.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145417

This is a really really good thread. Been a while since i read through the first half of it but just looking at it there, theres some pretty good UCAS info on page 10 :)

Ah yeah, that's actually just what I'm looking for! Thanks a mil!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Thanks a million. It's just this whole HPAT thing has thrown me completely off course. To be honest, I would have preferred to get in the old way, with 560+ points. To me that sounds a lot easier, and less stressful than the prospect of having to study for an aptitude test that's pretty much completely foreign to us, not to mention the LC. But sure, no point complaining I suppose!

Yeah, obviously Cambridge and Oxford are preeetty prestigious, but I heard like 2 from Ireland got into Cambridge last year?? Pretty damn picky. And you can't apply for both....which sucks. Apparently Aberdeen's moving up the ranks? Oh and any advice on Queens anyone??

Thankies :D

That's a complete exaggeration about Cambridge - believe me, far more than 2 Irish people made it in.

Oxbridge apps start earlier than other colleges in the UK - check very carefully as to what the correct date is.

For UK med, I think you have to do an aptitude test (like the HPAT), so be mindful of that as well.

ALincoln wrote: »

Oxbridge apps start earlier than other colleges in the UK - check very carefully as to what the correct date is.

Medicine and Veterinary applications have to be in at the same time as Oxbridge ones afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think only 2 made Medicine.

I know one who has made Economics this year, (although it was conditional and he isn't sure if he got an LC A1)

Best of luck with oxbridge if you go for them. It's real tough for Irish students who don't do the A-Levels to get in, but some do make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Try this link-
    http://www.wanttobeadoctor.co.uk/main.php?page=25

Also go through ucas medical courses and look at qualifications-other tariffs.
    This is vital-for example Liverpool do not take Leaving Cert at all.
    Most Universities now want 6 A's some including maths.
    Need to have shown some interest in helping people or some contact with medicine-transition year and Gaisce award can help here as you need to do a personal statement as to why you need to be a doctor.
    Glasgow, Peninsula-near Plymouth definitely will take Irish students. Edinburgh Dundee much less so and you only get 4 choices!!
    So need to start much sooner than here and ukcat is the first step. UK students have already done their personal statements so be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Heylo,

applying to UK colleges??
    I was going to apply to scotland,but then i found out that there are 15 applicants each year for every place.Maybe try the North,the demand isn't as high but that's because they have fees.Good luck anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 cuppcakes!

Hi guys
    Am looking to do med in dundee, cardiff or edinburgh.
    However, when I tried to book my UKCAT in the Waterford test centre i couldn't make an appointment for it - all the possible days were basically out of bounds :S

Has this happened to anyone else or does this mean the Waterford test centre is totally booked up? Although I thought that'd hardly be the case as it's now only three weeks into test bookings.

Any help mucho appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 puthuppally

Heylo,

I'm going into 6th year in Sept and I'm just wondering whether anyone in the know could advise me on when to start preparing for applying to UK colleges?? Also I'd be applying for Medicine so could anyone recommend any universities that have a good reputation regarding the course??

I'd really appreciate your help!:D
    prepare for ukcat or gmat test.this has to be taken by october15th
    do clinical attachemnts in a GP practice , do a voluntary work.reflect on inthe personnel statement how this work influenced you into studying medicine.attend a hospital if they let you in without garda wetting.if not don,t bother.it will just show you that you have good medical connections unless you say in the interview that your sisters boy friend who is ahouse surgeon sneaked you in on a night shift.
    you have it submit your forms to UCAS by15.10.2009 for next year,15/10/2010 for admisions to2011.Doenload aucas application form and fill it,see how it goes .In the UK this is submitted electonically.your schoolcan do it for you.your teacher will have to support your application.
    aim to score AAA(UK) AAAAAB(irish points) If you think you score less
    apply to new universities exteter,norwich ,hull,keele.
    Avoid apllying to the top unis unless you are agenious -newcastle ,edinburgh,london imperial,oxbridge,sheffield
    books to read
    1 getting into medicalschool -paddyearp,
    2 questions and answers medcal interviews -you can buy it on amazon.com

and finally if money does not matter to you book for medicine interview course run by doctors for doctors,in london

and finally
    askyourself-this will, usually crop during interview
    1 why do you want to be adoctor?--- do not pput any other profession down
    2 why choose this city?- youneed to read about it
    3what do you think of yourself in 20years from now?
    4 what will happen inmedcine in 10/20 years?
    answer 3 dont say you want to be a cardiolodgit or nerosurgeon.Because you don,t know anything about it for the next 6years.
    answer4 stem cell rearch- oh no they will roast you with questions-answer something simple-- eg nuses will be taking more medical work-you never know your luck, anurse may be in the interview panel.
    before you go for interviews practice it with your friends ask themmto score your answere - eye contact and smile very important-

good luck
    <you probably don't want your email in the public domain :-)>

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

cuppcakes! wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Am looking to do med in dundee, cardiff or edinburgh.
    However, when I tried to book my UKCAT in the Waterford test centre i couldn't make an appointment for it - all the possible days were basically out of bounds :S

Has this happened to anyone else or does this mean the Waterford test centre is totally booked up? Although I thought that'd hardly be the case as it's now only three weeks into test bookings.

Any help mucho appreciated!

Dont know anything about Waterford test centre but hope below helps-

Edinburgh and Dundee both want 6 A's !!!

Adverts | Friends
    UK must do ukcat-closing date September!!
    Try this link-
    http://www.wanttobeadoctor.co.uk/main.php?page=25

Also go through ucas medical courses and look at qualifications-other tariffs.
    This is vital-for example Liverpool do not take Leaving Cert at all.
    Most Universities now want 6 A's some including maths.
    Need to have shown some interest in helping people or some contact with medicine-transition year and Gaisce award can help here as you need to do a personal statement as to why you need to be a doctor.
    Glasgow, Peninsula-near Plymouth definitely will take Irish students. Edinburgh Dundee much less so and you only get 4 choices!!
    So need to start much sooner than here and ukcat is the first step. UK students have already done their personal statements so be prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

do clinical attachemnts in a GP practice , do a voluntary work.reflect on inthe personnel statement how this work influenced you into studying medicine.attend a hospital if they let you in without garda wetting.if not don,t bother.it will just show you that you have good medical connections unless you say in the interview that your sisters boy friend who is ahouse surgeon sneaked you in on a night shift.
    you have it submit your forms to UCAS by15.10.2009 for next year,15/10/2010 for admisions to2011.Doenload aucas application form and fill it,see how it goes .In the UK this is submitted electonically.your schoolcan do it for you.your teacher will have to support your application.
    quote]

excellent advice but there's one thing i must object to: hull is not a single med school, it's hull york and their minimum requirement for irish l.c is AAAAAB. glasgow, southampton and peninsula do offer something like AAAABB, except usually they want hons math or a particular set of subjects.

it's not just your predicted grades that count, it's the subjects you take. some uni's don't care too much if you do pass math or if you don't take chemistry, others won't look at you. they all tend to love it if you do all the science subjects.

good luck!

Avoid apllying to the top unis unless you are agenious -newcastle ,edinburgh,london imperial,oxbridge,sheffield
    books to read
    1 getting into medicalschool -paddyearp,
    2 questions and answers medcal interviews -you can buy it on amazon.com

and finally if money does not matter to you book for medicine interview course run by doctors for doctors,in london

and finally
    askyourself-this will, usually crop during interview
    1 why do you want to be adoctor?--- do not pput any other profession down
    2 why choose this city?- youneed to read about it
    3what do you think of yourself in 20years from now?
    4 what will happen inmedcine in 10/20 years?
    answer 3 dont say you want to be a cardiolodgit or nerosurgeon.Because you don,t know anything about it for the next 6years.
    answer4 stem cell rearch- oh no they will roast you with questions-answer something simple-- eg nuses will be taking more medical work-you never know your luck, anurse may be in the interview panel.
    before you go for interviews practice it with your friends ask themmto score your answere - eye contact and smile very important-

good luck
    <you probably don't want your email in the public domain :-)>

Clearly well informed ;) Very helpful stuff, thanks a million :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

excellent advice but there's one thing i must object to: hull is not a single med school, it's hull york and their minimum requirement for irish l.c is AAAAAB. glasgow, southampton and peninsula do offer something like AAAABB, except usually they want hons math or a particular set of subjects.

it's not just your predicted grades that count, it's the subjects you take. some uni's don't care too much if you do pass math or if you don't take chemistry, others won't look at you. they all tend to love it if you do all the science subjects.

I got Peninsula med this year but their requirements were very low. They wanted AAAAB and a pass in any other subject, so basically AAAABD.

To: SEVERUSSNAPE, I typed out my whole interview so if you want a copy of it, let me know. It might be of some help to you!

*fingers crossed for ucd*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I got Peninsula med this year but their requirements were very low. They wanted AAAAB and a pass in any other subject, so basically AAAABD.

To: SEVERUSSNAPE, I typed out my whole interview so if you want a copy of it, let me know. It might be of some help to you!

Hi doorknob_opener (name and a half btw :D)

Em, I'm applying for med in the UK also, I'm wondering could you clear a few things? I'm a bit lost :o

About the predicted grades, are the offers based on the predicted grades in your UCAS app (or reference) or are they negotiated at an interview? I'm really worried about this, because I'm not sure whether to say I'll get AAAAAA and potentially losing my place if I don't get them or be a bit more conservative and risk not having any offers at all.

About the UKCAT: how did you get on it? Were your scores insanely high, such that you were offered a place on your average score alone? I'm finding the timing (especially in the quantitative section) impossible atm. Any tips would be very very welcome :)

Em, how much medical work experience had you prior to your application? I know they really value experience but i finding it really difficult to find any. Doctors don't seem to like random, aspiring teenagers shadowing them, unfortunately :(

One last thing, could you please PM me a copy of your interview? I'd really appreciate it as I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

Thanks a million in advance :D

-L

(@severussnape: cats much? :P)

Ahh so is it safe to assume you sat the UKCAT/BMAT?? I'm on the verge of doing the UKCAT...but I really want to apply to Oxford which insists you do the BMAT (as with Cambridge) - bit of a conundrum :confused:. It's highly doubtful I'll actually secure a place in Oxford, given their stingy record, but I'm adamant that I'll at least try..?? So this begs the question, do I sit the UKCAT, BMAT and HPAT?? Eh thanks, but no thanks. Arghh...:mad: Stress of it all...

Oh and yeah, would you mind forwarding on that interview if it's not too much trouble?? Might at least give me some clue as to what I'm getting myself into :eek:.

Good luck with your results!

Oh and @ Straight As: Cats?? Me?? Never...:cool:

• Advertisement

I'm so sorry it took me a decade to reply, I had started writing a response a week ago, but my boss came in so I had to quickly go back to doing ''work'', and then I was gone for a week. So, I'm very very sorry, PMs are on the way!

About the predicted grades, are the offers based on the predicted grades in your UCAS app (or reference) or are they negotiated at an interview? I'm really worried about this, because I'm not sure whether to say I'll get AAAAAA and potentially losing my place if I don't get them or be a bit more conservative and risk not having any offers at all.

You are selected for an interview based on your predicted grades (and UKCAT score, personal statement and Junior Cert results). Offers are more so based on your interview. The grades they ask you to get are based on the number of people they accepted and the number of places available, they have nothing to do with your predicted grades. So, put down AAAAAA (remember though that a teacher has to predict this as there is a section on the UCAS form that is to be filled out by the teacher (though you can do it yourself) asking for predicted grades for the student and some personal details of the teacher).

About the UKCAT: how did you get on it? Were your scores insanely high, such that you were offered a place on your average score alone? I'm finding the timing (especially in the quantitative section) impossible atm. Any tips would be very very welcome :)

I got high in the high 600s as an average of the three sections. I think it was 670 but I'm not sure. You won't be offered a place on your score alone. Like I said, you are granted an interview based on this score, Junior Cert, personal statement and predicted grades and a place based on the interview. To be completely honest, I did no preparation for the UKCAT. On the train to Wexford (the only place with available places by the time I was booking...hemhem...at the last minute...), I looked over the information I had printed out for about 20 minutes and that was it. I know my friend bought a few ''Thinking Skills'' books from England. Apparently they were very good, they taught you how to think quickly and logically, so you could look into that. Do the practice test until you get the timing right, even though you may know all the answers by then. Use your HPAT questions and order the UMAT (Australian version of HPAT, on which HPAT was modeled) books from Australia.

Em, how much medical work experience had you prior to your application? I know they really value experience but i finding it really difficult to find any. Doctors don't seem to like random, aspiring teenagers shadowing them, unfortunately :(

None. At all. The only thing relatively medical on my application was volunteering at an old folks home. They love that though, so you should do that if you can. I had four years of Young Scientist displays, which I brought up in the interview and which was also in my personal statement. Also, try to take a first aid course if you can. Anything remotely medical. Placement at a hospital with real-live doctors is damn impossible! I worked in the cafeteria of a hospital for a few weeks a year or two ago, so that went down on the statement too. Hmm...I really think that's all. I had loads of leadership info in my essay - I played hockey and was captain so that went down, and other sport stuff too (but in one really short paragraph). I didn't put this in my essay, but my dad was in hospital for like two years when I was in 3rd-5th year, so I brought up the fact that I had actually spent a lot of time in hospitals in my interview. Not in a here-is-my-sob-story kind of way, but in what-I-learned-from-it sort of way.

I don't know if that was helpful in any way, but if you have any more questions let me know! :)

Ahh so is it safe to assume you sat the UKCAT/BMAT?? I'm on the verge of doing the UKCAT...but I really want to apply to Oxford which insists you do the BMAT (as with Cambridge) - bit of a conundrum :confused:. It's highly doubtful I'll actually secure a place in Oxford, given their stingy record, but I'm adamant that I'll at least try..?? So this begs the question, do I sit the UKCAT, BMAT and HPAT?? Eh thanks, but no thanks. Arghh...:mad: Stress of it all...

Yup, I did both. I applied to Oxford, it went crap. You should totally go for it though! Yes, you should sit all three. BMAT applies to Imperial too (as far as I remember, I could be very wrong). It's quite tricky though. I got an average score for it on each section. I got the books they recommended (English GCSE books) but still, meh. But knowing the Bio, Chem and Physics Leaving Cert syllabi will definatelt help. As it was in October, we still hadn't finished all of the courses. But you should do really well if you do. G'luck!

PM on way.

Advertisement