Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming parts to a self built bike on the cycle to work scheme

Options
  • 21-06-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

I haven't seen this answered before. I have read the document issued by the revenue commissioners linked below and it also does not answer my question.

I know i can buy a bike from anywhere i wish as long as my employer agrees. However i want to put together a bit of a dream bike that i have been fantasizing about for a while now. This will involve purchasing the frame and all parts (bars stump wheels etc ) separately. It will definitely run to over a €1,000. Can i claim for some of or all of these parts up to a value of €1,000. In the blurb they only really talk about safety equipment and stuff.

bik-exemption-for-bicycles.pdf

As an aside does anyone really expect the revenue to ever check up on bike usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

section 9.3 scuppers that plan....
    unless you buy the parts, assemble them and sell it to your employer, to get it back... see section 9.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The only way I know of that this will work is if a bike shop will supply all the parts, assemble the bike for you and invoice the employer for the cost of the bike.

Advertisement