Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diesel advice please?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

hey all, I hope I am in the right place. I just have a quick question concerning diesel.
    About 2 weeks ago I was asked to go to the petrol station and fill diesel into a drum. So off I go, I went to the 'motor diesel' pump down where the trucks fill up in the petrol station. When I got back and gave the drum of diesel over to the guy I got it for he went about putting it into the jeep. He asked me why I got 'green diesel' and told me he couldn't use it cos he would get into trouble. I told him I didn't, I went to the right pump and that the 'green diesel' pump was two pumps down. Two other men had a look, and said, 'thats green diesel'.
    So, basically my question is, what colour(s) can 'motor diesel' come in? This was a reputable petrol station with a brilliant reputation, surely the lads are wrong and not the petrol station?
    I realise I may sound like I haven't a clue (cos I don't!) I have always driven petrol cars but I have gone and gotten 'green diesel' a good few times so I know that much!
    Sorry about this long winded story just to ask my 'quick' question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Road diesel is clear only. green is for agricultural vehicles only. You must have got the wrong pump. No way would a service station have that wrong ..... hopefully.

The agricultural stuff is very obviously green and I dont see how the 2 guys would get it mixed up with the clear stuff so its a strange one. Id check the service station again to see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Two other men had a look, and said, 'thats green diesel'.
    Lol, have to laugh at their "qualification" being their gender.. :p

On the question, assuming you filled at the correct pump (go back and check) and the garage is correct - what was in the drum before you put the mystery diesel in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Green diesel costs a little bit less per litre , so if you still have the receipt you can work out which you actually bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

thanks for the replies.
    I did go back and have a look again the other day when I was getting my petrol. I distinctly remember being at the start of the 6 or so pumps in that area of the petrol station. The pump is black, like all the other motor diesel pumps in the station. Also it says on it MOTOR DIESEL on it. I never checked the price (I wasn't paying with my money!) and as for the receipt, I didn't get one.
    There had been nothing in the drum when i used it, apparently it was cleaned out. But even if there was, it wouldn't have coloured the 'white' diesel so green.
    I worked in this petrol station a good few year back and know the layout quite well, and I've gotten the 'green diesel' in drums a few times for machinary and also have gotten the kerosene for a heater I used to have. I had never gotten 'motor diesel' before, this is why I had to ask the colours and all! I was wondering whether the diesel trucks use was the same as the ones for cars.
    I am stumped! Probably such a simple explanation but I just wondered!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

imagin asking someone to go to the shop and get a dirty drum a diesel for you,

what a useless bastard,

does he ever ask you to wipe his ass for him

glad he wasn't happy, hope he paid you

• Advertisement

mukki wrote: »
    imagin asking someone to go to the shop and get a dirty drum a diesel for you,

what a useless bastard,

does he ever ask you to wipe his ass for him
    Why would you not go and get diesel or anything at all for your boyfriend/girlfriend???????

glad he wasn't happy, hope he paid you
    Never said anything about him not being happy, I just he said it was the wrong one.

Besides, I wanted advice on diesel... thats all

If you didn't have any advice mukki you should have saved yourself the time and refrained from replying to my thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I never checked the price (I wasn't paying with my money!) and as for the receipt, I didn't get one.

I have no advice on your diesel problem, but if you're spending someone else's money, you should always get a receipt.

Zube wrote: »
    I have no advice on your diesel problem, but if you're spending someone else's money, you should always get a receipt.
    Oh i completely agree with you on that, you are dead right. I would normally get a receipt if I was spending someone else's money except because it was my boyfriends, I never thought. I never get a receipt when i get petrol for myself, or in this case diesel. I think when they don't give one out like they would in supermarkets or clothes shops I just don't think.

I might have been a bit hasty in my last post about the 'advice' things, but when I read it, it p!ssed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Never said anything about him not being happy, I just he said it was the wrong one.

Besides, I wanted advice on diesel... thats all

If you didn't have any advice mukki you should have saved yourself the time and refrained from replying to my thread.

my advice regarding carrying dirty drums of diesel in your car was to tell him to get it himself next time

but...

i was standing up for you and giving out fook about "the guy you got it for", but in doing so i pissed you off so

i can't win...leaves thread

mukki wrote: »
    my advice regarding carrying dirty drums of diesel in your car was to tell him to get it himself next time

but...

i was standing up for you and giving out fook about "the guy you got it for", but in doing so i pissed you off so

i can't win...leaves thread

I apologise It was the way I read it, thats the trouble with text, you can't hear the 'tone' sometimes. i thought you meant I had a dirty drum, as in all stuff in it to make it 'green'

hmmm.... maybe I should change my name to 'flighty girl' instead of 'smiley girl'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

i thought you meant I had a dirty drum

Steady there, this is a family site.

[nyuk nyuk nyuk]

• Registered Users Posts: 7 merlin84

Zube wrote: »
    Steady there, this is a family site.

[nyuk nyuk nyuk]
    just while we are on the topic of diesel, anyone know anywhere to get the old green stuff in the region of cork city, i ve recently moved to cork and my tractor is thirsty?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

if there was a small ammount of green diesel in the bottom of the drum, it would apparently stain the road diesel that you put into it.... ive heard of guys who used a drop of green borrowed of a farmer when they ran out one nite and got dipped a few days later and failed...... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Leman-Russ

Op how clear was the drum you were using derv/road diesel has a greenish hew to it when light pass's through it. If it's a very light green/blue it's alright, if its green diesel its very green. Its also not unheard of for the garage to accidentally put green into a fuel bunker and not know about it. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this topic died around a month ago. why dig it up now :(

Advertisement