Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dempsey Ignores Own Programme for Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

About as likely as Harney ever being attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

is any of this a surprise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

SeanW wrote: »
    is any of this a surprise?

Only if you're as gullible as a mouse ready to gorge on the cheese in a trap.

There's lots of mice out there by the way.:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Given that they can't even run a bus service in these cities, with Bus Eireann planning to either completely pull or stop after 7pm many bus routes, I'm glad they haven't wasted money on this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

This topic got me thinking and I do remember contacting a certain Cork based senator about Public Transport in the regional cities, specifically Cork, but all of them to be honest. Gmail is great for searching, so low and behold I found the reply which I received on the 21st of March, 2008.
    I share your views on the lack of public transport infrastructure outside
    of the Dublin area. In the programme for government we have a commitment on
    a feasibility study for light rail in Cork. This study is now being done
    and will be completed in time for the local elections in 2009, where I hope
    it will bring about debate and decisions on the allocations of resources.
    Cork bus fleet needs to dramatically increased and we are making arguments
    in relation to that. Overall measures have to be put in place regadring the
    costs of, access to and the availability of public transport in Cork. This
    is something I'm committed to, and confident that improvements are and will
    be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So Dan Boyle said the Cork version would be complete by the 5th of June. Has he got a copy yet and can he forward it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So Dan Boyle said the Cork version would be complete by the 5th of June. Has he got a copy yet and can he forward it ???

Well I've just sent an email asking is it done, and if I can see it? I had forgotten about it, and this thread reminded me of it.

This contract went out in Galway

http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL105506
    http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC111134

I can find no 'equivalent' in Cork or in Limerick or in Waterford on eTenders .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Colm R wrote: »
    Well I've just sent an email asking is it done, and if I can see it? I had forgotten about it, and this thread reminded me of it.

Don't worry he will squirm out and blame the changing global economic climate which no one could have foreseen largely because we had our heads buried up the backsides of developers in the galway tent and have now emerged from this state ....smelling pretty bad as we have all had a very soft landing in deep dark soft brown stuff but don't worry because we are all going forward within the parameters of a very difficult situation and now not only do we smell of S H one T but we will continue to talk a good load as well.....

It was promised as COMPLETE by June 2009 .

Therefore it should have been STARTED between June 2007 and June 2008.

Tell him to stick government boilerplate Lehman Brothers excuses up his hole if he mentions them , that was in September 2008 long after the tenders should have issued :( I expect the greens to squirm a tad more than Dempsey , thye wwere the ones who added this promise to the programme for government .

Also ask Ciaran Cuffe.

transport is his watch , see

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/people/ciaran_cuffe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

bk wrote: »
    Given that they can't even run a bus service in these cities, with Bus Eireann planning to either completely pull or stop after 7pm many bus routes, I'm glad they haven't wasted money on this nonsense.

Well, in Limerick for one thing Bus Éireann are hampered by nimby councillors blocking the rollout of bus corridors. Having buses sitting in traffic cuts down on profits in at least two ways (takes extra buses/drivers, less attractive service for commuters).

Luas would be separate from traffic. In Limerick it would probably be viable and a far more patronised/attractive service than the bus on the major routes (UL/Castletroy, Raheen, Caherdavin) - these incidentally are the routes BÉ aren't stopping after 7. UL route is timetabled every 15 mins - at peak times you can wait 45 mins for a bus due to traffic causing gaps. Buses even so can be full to bursting (people packed even between drivers cab/windscreen/doors) despite the hellish service.

Advertisement