Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone else find this disconcerting?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

while trying to find some info on the new laws concering RiF (replica imitation firearms) which as we know includes us airsofters i stumbled across this little pearl.....
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/13624

now according to the last few lines which state and i quote "According to a Department spokesperson new restrictions and greater powers to ban the sale of such devices in shops around the country will be brought through the Dail by July 2 and are expected to become law by the summer recess."
    now this frightens me. dous this mean that from the summer we will no longer be able to play our chosen sport, due to the fact that we will nolonger be able to aquire the equipment with which to do so (up coming ban on imports, and now a ban on sale of Rif in ireland, what the hell are we supposed to do?) or is it only a ban on replicas and deacts that will exempt airsoft?
    has anyone else heared about this??????

(sorry if this is already covered elseware..)

Lux-et-veritas
    light and truth

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

it just means airsoft retailers will be licenced so there will no longer be gadget type shops selling them, you also wont be able to buy your kit from abroad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

This is old news my friend.
    And its powers to ban, not ban.
    The MPB mentioned months ago gives the minister the power to ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Thats based upon the first draught of the Miscellaneous Provisions Bill, which is currently being brought through the process of becoming the law. The IAA is working to get some of those things changed such as the supernintendo having power over sites and shops, and the ban on imports. Check their site for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Whats the story with importing parts anyway? Is that gonna be stopped as well? That would really piss me off

zero19 wrote: »
    Whats the story with importing parts anyway? Is that gonna be stopped as well? That would really piss me off

It only says realistic imitation firearms, not related accessories so you will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

rif are being controled, so if it looks like a firearm or piece of ordinance then it will be resricted so if your mother could mistake it for a weapon then it will more than likely be covered by the new importation laws

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lux-et-veritas

it still feels like another nail in the coffin for airsoft, and frankly i feel as though i am being presicuted for partisipating in the sport that i love, as well as having my fredom of choice revoked......

im sorry if im being a bit over the top here, but i hate all the bull sh** we get from mindless joe public and the equaly mindless members of government who will continue with there knee jerk reactions that in the long run change and prevent nothing..

end of rant.....

lux et veritas
    light and truth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I might point out for the 'end of the world oh noes' types... that we have this... the vcra... and british airsoft is still going strong. If not stronger since replica gun crime has tailed off thanks to the ban... and shown airsoft is not to blame

well i wouldent class myself as an end of the world type, (sorry if it came across like that), and i have lived under the uk system (im from huddersfield origionally). what i resent is legeslation that victomises or inhibits our pastimes, granting the power to ban just makes it easyer for them to do just that someware down the line...
    any hoo i just wanted to add my two penneth worth and im now following the goings on with IAA, i would however recommend that anyone on here who isnt a member already should sign up asap it isnt much to join and the money goes towards keeping the sport we all love going.. great stuff lads, hipp hipp hurahh..

lux et veritas

light and truth

Hey how long does it take to process the membership from when you send off the form?

• Advertisement

hi Toasty113

not sure how long it takes to process, best idea mate is log on to there website here

http://irishairsoft.ie/

then go to contact me and drop them an email, and they will answer your qvestions..

oh by the way i hasten to add im not a representative of the IAA its just my oppinion that thay do a good and very difficult job and sould get all the support the airsofting community can provide...

lux et veritas

light and truth

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Toasty113 wrote: »
    Hey how long does it take to process the membership from when you send off the form?

Hi Toasty,

2 weeks from signup, now we have our new printing system running.

Regards
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

well i wouldent class myself as an end of the world type, (sorry if it came across like that), and i have lived under the uk system (im from huddersfield origionally). what i resent is legeslation that victomises or inhibits our pastimes, granting the power to ban just makes it easyer for them to do just that someware down the line...
    any hoo i just wanted to add my two penneth worth and im now following the goings on with IAA, i would however recommend that anyone on here who isnt a member already should sign up asap it isnt much to join and the money goes towards keeping the sport we all love going.. great stuff lads, hipp hipp hurahh..

lux et veritas

light and truth

In one sense it restricts our freedom and that is regrettable, on the other hand it legitimises and recognises the sport of airsoft in law for the first time, thereby ending the legal limbo we were in up to this. So while it is worrying to think that the Minister of Justice has the power to ban airsoft almost at a whim with the new legislation, in the context of the limbo we were in up to this, it could be argued that the minister already had that power. So while the new legislation may spell it out in black and white, the Minister could always have banned airsoft, so nothing has changed really. The import restrictions suck though, I understand the logic behind them, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it, my credit card will sleep a little sounder in my wallet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just to drop a line according to a local Swedish airsofter.

They have to be part of a "gun or skirmish" club to have permission to obatin,purchase or operate airsoft guns. I dont know if this is the truth, the guy was a bit hammered ( lightweight) but one of the irish lads said it was true.

Him and all his mates play twice a year, two berget events....thats it.

He was absolutely gobsmacked to learn I play every week, and sometimes 2-3times a week. He nearly jizzed when I told him of the indoor site we have, and he basically thought i was blowing it out of my arse when i said there was like 3-4 skirmish sites within a 10 minute drive from me.

According to him, we have it pretty ****ing sweet.

Although he could not comprahend how our snipers operate at the same joule.
    And when I replied " Well man its a case of its just the law, wed love to do it, but the law is the law and im happy enough playing with 1 joule"

" Your ****ing crazy man, crazy, like, what the ****, do you even have snipers, like man, ****, you havnt played airsoft until you get absolutely ahnihalated with 600fps"

Great conversation, and when I mentioned Classic Army he replied in his awesome accent

"Dude what the ****, I'm no starter, I dont buy ****ing clones"

The lol was immense as you could imagine.

(Had to explain that CA were once a "high end" brand hahahhahaha

yep sounds pretty much the same as the uk system...

we are one step further than the uk system, they still at least have the possibility of personal importation

too true mate, fingers crossed the IAA can do something about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Puding wrote: »
    we are one step further than the uk system, they still at least have the possibility of personal importation

Its also a step better than UK where you have to avail of a specific defence to purchase and own equipment. No such restriction is included in the bill - a very good thing.

swings and roundabouts , both system have there ups and downs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Puding wrote: »
    swings and roundabouts , both system have there ups and downs

True. Not pleased with the ban on personal imports myself. It smacks of nothing more than pandering to the customs unions but when given a choice between total restriction and the freedom to do I wish within reasonable confines - I think I know which one I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SOLID_SNAKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bit late for that, the thread's nearly a year old:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

chainsaw1.jpg

As ever Blay as sharp as a whistle to take down the zombie threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

fayer wrote: »
    Hi Toasty,

2 weeks from signup, now we have our new printing system running.

Regards
    Steve

Hi Steve is the paypal fixed signing up yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

jeawan wrote: »
    Hi Steve is the paypal fixed signing up yet ?
    If you want specific IAA information you can visit the IAA website at http://www.irishairsoft.ie or you can email us at info@irishairsoft.ie

Rich

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Necro thread goes off topic and dies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement