Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick, but where?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi everybody, I'm moving to Limerick in October (from Italy) to work for eight months at Colaiste Chiarain high school, in Croom.
    I was recommended to find a room in Dooradoyle or Raheen (because the school's bus stops near Raheen's church), but I think they're too far from the city centre, so there is no nightlife there, right?
    I'd like to share a house with university students because students know how to have fun (I'm still a student), so what would you suggest? I think Castletroy is where most students live, but maybe it's too far from the bus stop in Raheen...
    Do students live in the city centre too? And which areas would you recommend?
    Thank you, any piece of advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Castletroy is at the opposite side of the city compared to raheen so it would take you ages in the morning to get to work. You can get a bus in town to croom takes about 25 min. So its up to you really then. Closer to work but further from town/ night lfie or closer to night life. Then its along the lines of how much rent can you afford.

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Lelia-House-St-Lelia-Street-Limerick-City-Co-Limerick/578585/

This place is 5 min walk from the city centre and its very close to the main pubs clubs but might be too expensive for you by yourself. Not sure if they have single apartments free

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could look for accommodation in or around the South Circular Road. This is where Mary Immaculate College is located so there will be plenty of students staying around that area, it is also not too far from the city centre or Dooradoyle. A word of advice is to get a place early as the students will be returning to college around September/October and snap up most of the accommodation quickly.

Here is a good website for looking for accommodation: http://www.daft.ie/

And welcome to Limerick and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lord Henry

age/sex/pics ?

This town needs more Italian wimminz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 novinthesky

I'm looking for an ensuite bedroom, I can afford up to 350 euros per month. I'll see if there is something near South Circular Road. Is that a safe area? Cause I've been told that there are some rough areas in Limerick...
    Thank you.

By the way, I'm 24 and I'm a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'm looking for an ensuite bedroom, I can afford up to 350 euros per month. I'll see if there is something near South Circular Road. Is that a safe area? Cause I've been told that there are some rough areas in Limerick...
    Thank you.

By the way, I'm 24 and I'm a girl.

The South Circular Road is a safe area. Like the other poster said, there's a college called Mary Immaculate near there, it's a pretty small one though. The main university of Limerick campus is in an area called Castletroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The South Circular road is a very nice area with new apts and period houses. There are some areas in Limerick you may not wish to live in but you WILL NOT FIND any accomodation in the papers for those area's so fear not.

Any questions you have about a specific area then do not be afriad to ask.

Also, you do not need to tell us your A/S/L even though somebody asked. I doubt their intentions were or will be of any benefit to you. :D

Living on the South Circular road will give you access to the City Centre by walking and is 5-10 minute walk(depending on which end of the road) to the Crescent Shopping Centre.

Make sure when you are looking at rooms that you get an en suite bedroom. €350 a month will definately get you this and probably satelittle tv or similar.

Thank you Berty.
    Do you know if the 304 bus route passes by South Circular Road, or at least close to it? Because that is the bus route to Raheen, which is where I should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thank you Berty.
    Do you know if the 304 bus route passes by South Circular Road, or at least close to it? Because that is the bus route to Raheen, which is where I should go.

It stops at many places just off the South Circular Road. It comes up O'Connell Avenue and continues along Ballinacura Terrace into Dooradoyle and onto Raheen to the Industrial Estate and comes back.

All depending on where you are on the South Circular road the bus stops are anywhere between 2 minutes and 5 minutes walk from where you would be.

Raheen and Dooradoyle are also good locations and both areas are very multi cultural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lord Henry

Berty stop it you are killing me man:D

Novinthesky I was only joking regarding your age and sex but glad you answered all the same:pac:

I would agree with Bertie and say that the South Circular Road is your best option, particularly the area around Mary Immaculate College.

Here is a link to places you can rent in that area

Actually, I need a room, not a flat. Do you think if I come there in July that I can find something interesting other than the ads on daft.ie? Where should I look?
    Thank you, guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You should find great choice in Dooradoyle/Raheen..since Dell started the layoffs lots of vacancies so you should be able to get a good deal around or haggle for a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Colaiste Chiaran have buses running from all sides of the city (including Ennis Road and Castletroy areas) to Croom so as long as you don't mind being on the bus with the students you will be teaching, your options are wide open on where you rent. Check with the school when you have narrrowed down some of the areas your interested in. Welcome to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't recommend travelling with students that you will work with during the day.

I am sure some Croom teachers travel out there from Limerick City and can provide you with a lift most days.

Have the school been supportive to you? Have theyoffered you advice on accommodation or other information on the city?

I think you will have a good time here. Some bad people in a few districts, but the majority are fantastic. The national media have to sell newspapers and are usually not very interested in the fantastic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Hey novinthesky, you will be one of my colleauges next year! I've sent you a PM. If you need a place to stay while looking its no problem there are two of us from the school in the house here, spare room etc. CC staff are all over the city, mail me and I will advise...

By the way staff members do not travel on school buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You know nova, since you're Italian and female, if you are good looking maybe there's a job for you with Silvio Berlusconi when you return to Italy :D

grenache wrote: »
    You know nova, since you're Italian and female, if you are good looking maybe there's a job for you with Silvio Berlusconi when you return to Italy :D

Yeah, I know, our President is sooo generous. Only, he makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ciao, benvenuti in irlanda :pac: (in ottobre pero...)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Ciao, benvenuti in irlanda :pac: (in ottobre pero...)

Grazie.

Advertisement