Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound-proofing options for existing stud walls

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have a 60s 3 bed semi-d and the timber stud walls between the bedrooms/bathroom upstairs offer very limited sound sound proofing. This is especially apparent in the bathroom (or should i say outside the bathroom :o). What options are available for increasing the sound insulation levels? Is there a product that can be pumped into the walls?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Yeah this is a question i've been meaning to ask someone for ages, will be keeping an eye on this thread ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Afgan

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Afgan wrote: »
    me too

Suggestions should be along any year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

I learned to live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

My timber stud walls have up to 6 mm gap between floor and underside of wall.
    Funny how the wall seems to always have the gap at the bottom..!

When i redid my bathroom, I pulled all the plasterboard off one wall, jammed some 6mm mdf under, and installed Rockwool acoustic batts.
    The biggest difference (i feel) was from pumping some acrylic sealant between the timbers and the existing plasterboard. Makes the whole lot feel so much more solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Another thing to check, is how the wall is fixed to the ceiling above. Often they are just nailed into the plasterboard ceiling; particularly where they are parallel to the ceiling joists above. Then you need to fit some crossbraces to the joists, and fix the wall to these.

Advertisement