Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a ceiling light

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I want to replace a ceiling light in a hallway (therefore it has 2 wall switches). When i removed the cover of the existing fitting i saw there are 3 neutral (blue) wires, 3 earth wires and 1 live (brown) wire. the new fitting i want to install has only one hole for live and one hole for neutral (and none for earth). how do i wire this new fitting?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if the fitting doesn't require an earth you connect them together to maintain earth continuity for the circuit but don't connect them to light fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

And the 3 neutral? Do they all just go into the same hole in the fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

neutrals connect together the same.they can be 'live' when separated, even with light switch off. get a sparkie if you're not sure

Advertisement