Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver FTP web upload host HELP PLEASE

Options
  • 21-06-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all.
    i recently got a domain name + hosting from hosting365. im hoping to put my portfolio site live asap but cant figure out where im going wrong with the site definiton part in dreamweaver (when ur site is finished & u have to connect to the remote host.
    In the site definition dialgue box there are 5 options:

access: 'ftp' (presume this is correct option but
    am unsure for hosting365)

FTP host: i have 'www.mydomainname.com' here which is correct

host directory: i have 'http' or else 'wwwroot' or else '/'

login:
    'x1234 etc'

password ***********

now when i click OK dreamweaver tells me 'an FTP error occured-cannot make connection to host. check username + password'

im positive my login & password are correct. positive!
    so im reckoning its the host directory is where im going wrong. i think its dependant on whether its unix-based or windows-based. this means nothing to me cos i dont know & im on a mac.

can anyone help me rectify the problem
    do i need to get onto hosting365 and ring a phone that wont be answered?
    is it even FTP

any info is greatly appreciated

johnjohn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Try ftp.yourdomain.com instead of the www
    leave 'host directory' blank (or /), your user account should put you right where you want to be.
    It should work, but if you've still no joy, you could try another FTP app, like Filezilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonffanak

cheers,
    tried that www changed to ftp but now it claims 'the remote host cannot be found'
    at least i know its not my password.
    RE: FTP Apps, what? thats above me. is dreamweaver such an app?
    if so i presume its the best (xcuse my stubborness)
    cant get filezilla as am workin on mac OS 10.4.

jst to confirm: is the hosting company sposed to supply me with said info? cos they didnt!
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think they'll have emailed you all the details you need along with your username and password.
    Actually, come to think of it... you should try logging into your hosting control panel and checking out what the ftp username is, because it can be different to the hosting website login.
    This might sound weird, but see if the first 8 letters of the username will work along with the full length password... the one I use is truncated to (or generated from) the first 8 letters, so maybe that's what's wrong.
    Also, it sounds like you should go back to using www. for the hostname... my one uses ftp(dot) but the 'host not found' error seems to have put that one to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

It might be hosting365. I have one site with them and all of a sudden the ftp connection seems to have stopped working. It worked fine a couple of days ago but now it has stopped working even though I have not changed the settings. I find their lack of support ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonffanak

oh is it? thats a dose this is my first site and first time dealing with any servers.
    ive emailed them a few times re. this prob & they replied quite fast with clear instructions.
    thanks donkeystyle, turns out it was my domain name was sposed to be ftp. instad of www.
    but u told me that b4 they did.
    im finding lots of probs tho along the way just getting the hang of it.
    for some reason my root folder changes its directory from 'my documents' to a folder DW creates in 'appsupport/DW' etc
    so i resolved that i think & now when i click upload...
    of all things DW just crashes unexpectadly. i can only laugh
    try it on another machine 2moro
    cheers for helping folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement