Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokey Eyes for Dummies?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me any foolproof tips for smokey eyes, and maybe recommend some good products to achieve it?

Am a bit rubbish with make up, and have only ever managed to pull off the raccoon look!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

hey you can do smokey eyes with browns, greys lots of colours. The darkest part of the eye should be at the eye lid just before the eyelashes. lots of mascara and you could put the eye shadow on the bottom eye lashes

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Get yourself some Chanel liquid eyeliner in the pen... very easy to apply.

And some Mac eyeshadow in Matt Black - it's called Carbon.

I have blue eyes so I have Mac 'Sable' which is a lovely brown/plum colour.

I put on brown eyeliner which makes it easier for some reason to apply the Chanel liquid black eyeliner over it. Then I put a little 'Sable' and a little 'Carbon' on and loads of Benefit Bad Gal Lash Black Mascara. Look up youtube tutorials too - they're very good if you're trying to achieve a specific look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 angelika

Have a look at Lauren Luke's tutorials on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81?blend=1&ob=4

She does some great smoky looks and tells you all the products she uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Think Benefit do a little kit for smokey eyes, has step by step instructions as well. Had it a while ago and was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

chocgirl wrote: »
    Think Benefit do a little kit for smokey eyes, has step by step instructions as well. Had it a while ago and was good.

This was what I was going to reccommend! It's called Smokin' Eyes, and comes with little instructions. It's pretty good! They also do one in browns called Big Beautiful Eyes... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

hey you can do smokey eyes with browns, greys lots of colours. The darkest part of the eye should be at the eye lid just before the eyelashes. lots of mascara and you could put the eye shadow on the bottom eye lashes

I would disagree with this, however, different eyeshapes call for different techniques. I would use 3 colours - light, medium and dark. You often see sets that come with colours predetermines to work together - for example cream, mid brown and dark brown or white, silver and black.

Put the lightest colour all over your eye socket. Then put the medium colour from your 'crease' (where your eyelid creases) to your lash line. Then use the dark colour along the 'outer v' and inside the crease. The blend, blend, blend! Nothing looks worse than unblended eyemake up and is the key to smokeyness.

I have attached this pic of eye areas (didn't make myself). eye shadow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Buy the Bobbi Brown makeup guide, when I was working in my last job I used to do makeup touch ups and this book was my bible.
    It has step by step instuctions.
    A really good tip for doing the eyeliner is to place dots of eyeliner along the lids and join them up. Use a powder shadow first and then use your liquid/gel liner.

Practise makes perfect. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I agree with Pythia. Buy a decent eye shadow trio with a light, a medium and a very dark shadow. Also buy a good eyeliner pencil, to match the darkest shade of the eye shadow. And get yourself a blending brush. This is your best friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

the bare minerals eye foil is very good and comes with a little instruction booklet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 orlaj

This was what I was going to reccommend! It's called Smokin' Eyes, and comes with little instructions. It's pretty good! They also do one in browns called Big Beautiful Eyes... :)

Had the benefit big beautiful eyes didnt like it am very fair with blue eyes ..just didnt look right for me maybe someone with tanned skin and brown eyes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I bought this recently and was delighted with it. I am useless with make up but was delighted at how well it turned out.

I would suggest that you ask the sales assistant to give you a demo when buying it. Most are happy to do so if you pick a quiet time.

There are some good videos on youtube as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

there are alot of good tutorials on youtube, just type in 'smokey eyes' and search from there :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have both and I love em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Do u think u need a certain eye & hair colour nto pull off black smoky eyes?!
    Like shud purple be used for brown hair, black for black??
    thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Pythia wrote: »
    I would disagree with this, however, different eyeshapes call for different techniques. I would use 3 colours - light, medium and dark. You often see sets that come with colours predetermines to work together - for example cream, mid brown and dark brown or white, silver and black.

Put the lightest colour all over your eye socket. Then put the medium colour from your 'crease' (where your eyelid creases) to your lash line. Then use the dark colour along the 'outer v' and inside the crease. The blend, blend, blend! Nothing looks worse than unblended eyemake up and is the key to smokeyness.

I have attached this pic of eye areas (didn't make myself). eye shadow.jpg
    Thats a good pic thx! whats ur eye socket then??

Advertisement