Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical for toilet

Options
  • 20-06-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What is the name of the chemical you put in the loo cartridge?...and how much should you put in?
    I take it i could get it in a camping shop??
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Aqua Kem

You should get it in any of the camping shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers thans for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Go easy on it ...sometimes it's hard to decide which smells worse, a toilet with or without chemicals.

Also store the bottle in an extra container or zip-bag ...it whiffs a bit once opened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Also make sure you dont get any on your hands. It hard to get off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Aqua Kem is also sold in Halfords if there is one near you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I have installed a SOG unit. You basically put a breather pipe on the waste tank which goes through a filter and a small extractor fan. As you open the toilet it activates the fan so NO SMELLS can linger in the bathroom compartment unless you have been very much over indulging or have left it too long to empty.

There are NO chemicals and NO smells basically.

I never used chemicals so don't know how it compares but it all works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers Kol, there is a halfords nearby but ive already ordered some from the link Paddyb put up :-)

ANy links to one of those SOG units?
    Where do you install it?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I use Tetfords "Top & Tail" available from Halfords and I have to say that I have never had a problem with it.......been using it for about 3 yrs now. Did have the miss-fortune of using Aqua-Chem once and swore that I would never use it again

The SOG is a very small piece of kit.

A microswitch gets installed in the compartment where the waste tank goes. When you open the lever to use the loo, it turns on the fan.

The exterior door of the waste compartment (on the side of your van) gets a circle cut in to for the fan, and a thin box is placed on the outside with a filter/vent. Then there are just a few hoses/wires.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/sog-system-kits-for-motorhomes-p-26.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 parkmoy

I have a SOG fitted and it is brilliant for keeping the smells out of the bathroom. Emptying, is however, a different ball game:( To put it bluntly it stinks worse than anything I've smelt before! You can clear a toilet block in seconds!

I don't like chemicals so I use a bio fluid instead. It makes emptying more pleasant! Still the SOG does keep whiffs out of the bathroom:)

• Advertisement

what is this "bio fluid" as I am charged with emptying the waste tank and it isn't the most enjoyable experience. Still, I would not start using chemicals.

I would want to check out the ingredients in this "bio fluid" to see if it really is safe, or just has the chemicals in a lower concentration.

I have heard of people simply putting in a spoon of active yoghurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 parkmoy

There are several on the market. You see them at MH shows. This is probably the best known http://www.biomagicuk.com/index.html

If you use for liquids only they recommend adding yoghurt or a small bit of earth just to get the bio bit working since urine is sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

Aqua kem now comes in sachets 15 per tub, 1 sachet every time you empty the cassette, no mess, no spills no over or under dosing.
    About 18 euro per tub

Advertisement