Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An observation on Irelands Memorial Records

Options
  • 20-06-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Irelands Memorial records is supposed to memoralise the 49,600 Irishmen that they say died in ww1. The main bulk of this database adopts the assumption that all men that died in Irish Regiments were Irishmen, this is not so.
    I have just completed my fourth book on Irish vcasualties and here is what I find.

There were 752 Wicklow casualties in ww1, Irelands Memorial Records only records 406 of these. They missed 346.
    There were 874 Wexford casualties in ww1, Irelands Memorial Records only records 510 of these. They missed 364.
    There were 1392 Tipperary casualties in ww1, Irelands Memorial Records only records 956 of these. They missed 436.
    There were 640 Offaly (King's County) casualties in ww1, Irelands Memorial Records only records 406 of these. They missed 234.

From these 4 Counties we have a total of 1380 men who are not in Irelands Memorial Records.
    Now I do not have the backing of the Government nor do I have the resources available to the Government yet a little gobsheen like me can find these men. I am sure it is because I WANTED to. I went out of my way to search in every hidden corner and crack and reference available to me to remember these unfortunate lads. We live in a more open-minded society in Ireland now, perhaps it time to re-visit making an accurate book of remembrance for the irishmen and women who died in the Great War.
    I put it to you that Irelands Memorial Records was a sop for the people and smacks of a conspiracy or at the least an inept attempt to record these unfortunate men.
    What do you think?.
    Please forgive me if I do not reply until tommorrow as I am now off to launch the Wickow War Dead in Carnew in Wicklow and have to leave for it in a few minutes
    Kind regards and thanks for listening to my rant.
    Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

present your finds with evidence to the government or specific deperantment

otherwise your work was just for you, and you cant really complain

as it is a vast and dificult job compiling those lists......

but fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

present your finds with evidence to the government or specific deperantment

otherwise your work was just for you, and you cant really complain

as it is a vast and dificult job compiling those lists......

but fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Where are you getting the 49,600 figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Thats the number of casualties in Irelands Memorial Records.
    Tom.

I'm confused by your OP. 49,600 men from Ireland died in the war, ok. Not all of the men in the Irish regiments were Irish, true. But you seem to be saying that the non-Irish members of the regiments were written out of the memorial? Are these men part of your 49,600 figure? Are they commemorated in Britain/Ulster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I am saying that not all the men in Irish Regiments were Irish but because they were in Irish Regiments they were recorded in Irelands Memorial records.
    An Irishman is a man from Ireland as far as I know. A man from London I would class as an Englishman. What you are saying is, would I say that the Englishmen in Irish Regiments should not be Irelands Memorial Records? I have no view on it either way, I am just stating a fact that there are Englishmen in Irelands Memorial records and readers of the roll assume they are all Irishmen who died in ww1 when in fact they were not.
    Tom.

You know what, never mind.

Advertisement