Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different DMs

Options
  • 20-06-2009 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm bored with the bog standard Gnome desktop so Enlighten me - yes that's a pun :pac: ... I've been looking at installing the Enlightenment desktop but it's not in the Ubuntu repos even though lots of pages say it is.

So before I go and install it manually recommend me a nice DM with a dock instead of a top menu bar. I tried to install Cairo before but for some reason it wouldn't work for me - couldn't figure out why but it may have been to do with my dual screen setup.

I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not a fan of Gnome either but I'm loving openbox on my eee PC. I don't use my desktop in the way most do (even on Vista I never use it). Openbox is really lightweight and basic and is fully customisable. All my pc info is displayed on the desktop by conky. Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've OpenBox on my Eee as well (Cruncheee). But for my desktop I want the whole thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you want a quick look at an Englightenment desktop, take a look at Macpup Opera, you can load it into RAM and have a play about with it. It's really amazing:

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/macpup-opera

Gnome-Do has got a dock now, I think it's been well received.

Advertisement