Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the guy marching around town??

Options
  • 19-06-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anybody know anything about the guy that marches around town??

I often see him in the door way of Birthdays on O'Connell street. He talks to himself and salutes traffic lights He sometimes directs traffic. He always has his pants tucked into his socks and listens to an iPod. I'm surprised the guards haven't helped him or anything. He even drives a car, I think he lives in it. I've nothing against him as he seems fairly happy in himself, just concerned for his safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

He even drives a car,

Is it a Grey/Silver Peugeot 206?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

Yep, he often parks on Mulgrave Street opposite O'Neills shop, on the island. I think its a 01 D

Yep, he often parks on Mulgrave Street opposite O'Neills shop, on the island. I think its a 01 D

If it is the same guy he parks/lives by the old gate between Tom Kilroys and the roundabout towards Patrickswell in his car.

He used to come into the Shell in Corbally years ago when I worked there and get something like £2.50 petrol and carried his money in a plastic bag. He smelled something awful. His car was full of rubbish.

I never really spoke to him but he didnt appear to be all there even all those years ago.

Maybe time is a healer or maybe not.

Thats him. He hangs his jocks off the sun visor during the day. I think he has curtains for night time. Its sad but he seems happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dunno if its the same guy, But I was on my way to
    my grandfathers funeral a while back and as I walked up
    william street there was this Mad crazy Old guy, with his socks outside his pants, and a cane/hobo cloth thing on a stick marching down william street near foxes bow....doing all sorts of Irish/English foot drill.

I was very tempted to shout out some foot drill orders
    as gaeilge like I did when training recruits in my FCA days
    just to see if he reacted but I got a stern warning from the boss (the girlfriend) to leave him be.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

He always mentions streetnames in his speeches too.
    "I pledge my allegiance to Catherine St, William St, Rutland St, Mary St." etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've seen him coming out of the St Vincent De Paul place on Hartstonge St a few times. He colect some cloths and marches back own Catherine St, he must be ex army or else just a bona fide fruit loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

That fella is a right scientist. Its a bit scary to think that this fella actually drives, can he actually afford insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have never seen this person.

Although i think everyone knows Jerry/Gerry...who goes around with a bag and umbrella, he has grey hair. Goes around on all the buses too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Although i think everyone knows Jerry/Gerry...who goes around with a bag and umbrella, he has grey hair. Goes around on all the buses too

Ger boogie!!!

No wonder bus eireann are in debt. Look at how much they'd make if they charged him! :p

• Advertisement

Saw the bus guy again today. I see him nearly every day. As opposed to the other guy he is very well dressed and neat.

I saw him in Superquinn buying a new bag one day, nothing to put in it mind. He obviously was not a fan of the superquinn bag and is now back to the Tesco long life bag. Imagine, he is a bag snob. :confused:

I saw him today getting on a bus on Mulgrave St. You could see the bus driver go through the motions of a SIGH when he was pulling over. :D

Although being on Mulgrave St he was certainly not the maddest person on the Street.

Have any of you seen the people who pour out of St Josephs. They all sit around drinking and smoking on the bench's and bus stop.

Tax cents at work obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

407022859a11071441426l.jpg
    Is this who your on about?

I've seen him a few times around limerick. When he wants to cross the street he stops at the footpath edge and balances on one foot with the other one straight out in front of him. He can hold that stance for up to a minute then he looks back and hand gestures his imaginary troops behind him thats its safe to follow and runs across the street.

Berty wrote: »
    I saw him today getting on a bus on Mulgrave St. You could see the bus driver go through the motions of a SIGH when he was pulling over. :D

Although being on Mulgrave St he was certainly not the maddest person on the Street.

Have any of you seen the people who pour out of St Josephs. They all sit around drinking and smoking on the bench's and bus stop.

Tax cents at work obviously.

They aren't from St Josephs, most of them are from the Simon Community. All the St Josephs crowd do is smoke and clean rubbish off the foot paths into the gutters (well one guy does anyway)! Cleanest footpaths in Limerick!

407022859a11071441426l.jpg
    Is this who your on about?

I've seen him a few times around limerick. When he wants to cross the street he stops at the footpath edge and balances on one foot with the other one straight out in front of him. He can hold that stance for up to a minute then he looks back and hand gestures his imaginary troops behind him thats its safe to follow and runs across the street.

That is him! I find it cruel that you took a picture of him. He is a human being after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I remember seeing this guy i town a few months ago and thinking wtf???

That is him! I find it cruel that you took a picture of him. He is a human being after all

Well I was actually taking a photo of the Birthday shop front!, there just so happened to be a crazy sitting there.

I'd love to know what he listens to on his ipod.

Even the fact that he has an ipod means he must be able to use a computer. I wonder does he get annoyed too with all the new ipod updates from apple.

I've also heard stories form friends that actually saw "crazy Joey" sit into his car and drive around limerick. Apparently he drove for about an hour all around limerick and then retraced his footsteps and parked the car again in the same spot at the top of Williams st.

Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

They aren't from St Josephs, most of them are from the Simon Community. All the St Josephs crowd do is smoke and clean rubbish off the foot paths into the gutters (well one guy does anyway)! Cleanest footpaths in Limerick!

I always see that guy when I'm up at the school of music!!

So does anyone know his name or where he comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Does anybody know anything about the guy that marches around town??

I often see him in the door way of Birthdays on O'Connell street. He talks to himself and salutes traffic lights He sometimes directs traffic. He always has his pants tucked into his socks and listens to an iPod. I'm surprised the guards haven't helped him or anything. He even drives a car, I think he lives in it. I've nothing against him as he seems fairly happy in himself, just concerned for his safety.

I wonder are you on about Willy Buses, go`s around swinging an umbrella, talking to himself and jumping on buses, Limerick sure has it characters, remember Coco!!ha, Francis!! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I wonder are you on about Willy Buses, go`s around swinging an umbrella, talking to himself and jumping on buses, Limerick sure has it characters, remember Coco!!ha, Francis!! RIP

Somthing I had a mild interest in before, there
    was a thread on it here a good while back about all
    the Limerick Characters.

From the guy who stood outside the AIB corner with a sign,
    to the bloke who tried to bury his dead father in his back garden, to the lady with the dogs in the prams, the guy with the bike who used to sell the Limerick Leader at the
    O'Connell statue, the mad bloke with the invilid on board sign, willy 3 toes and all the other characters.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

So does anyone know his name or where he comes from?

I've heard some people call him "Crazy Joey" and i've also heard people took photos and videos of him and were going to set up a facebook profile for him. Whether this is true or not i guess only time will tell!

I've heard some people call him "Crazy Joey" and i've also heard people took photos and videos of him and were going to set up a facebook profile for him. Whether this is true or not i guess only time will tell!

Yip i guess only time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

bullets wrote: »
    Dunno if its the same guy, But I was on my way to
    my grandfathers funeral a while back and as I walked up
    william street there was this Mad crazy Old guy, with his socks outside his pants, and a cane/hobo cloth thing on a stick marching down william street near foxes bow....doing all sorts of Irish/English foot drill.

I was very tempted to shout out some foot drill orders
    as gaeilge like I did when training recruits in my FCA days
    just to see if he reacted but I got a stern warning from the boss (the girlfriend) to leave him be.

~B

Ah you should have done it. Sounds like your GF would make a better sergeant major than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

There was always an old guy who had a dog who used be around Limerick. I remember him around Christmas time years ago, he used hang around Noel Edwards pub(I'm going back a good few years now) I used always give him some money whenever I met him..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

+1, I've never seen the guy in the photo. I'll be on the lookout in town though.

Jerry/Gerry, however, I've seen many a time. I've noticed him randomly saluting women and staring a little too long after them. I'm sure he's harmless enough, but it's still worth being cautious!

Isn't it strange that these characters manage to survive in Limerick? It's almost like it's not really that bad...could the media be wrong?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have seen that lad with the umbrella and bag today just outside bean-a-ti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Willy Buses? I thought his nickname was Gerry the Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Mr. K wrote: »
    Jerry/Gerry, however, I've seen many a time. I've noticed him randomly saluting women and staring a little too long after them. I'm sure he's harmless enough, but it's still worth being cautious!

I see this guy everywhere, he gets the bus out to the coonagh roundabout, he's out in superquinn in casteltroy, around TK Macs, he's even got on the bus in Shannon TC.

Whats his story? As far as I can tell he makes a career out of the euro coins left in random trolleys in shopping centre car parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What about that woman with grey hair tied up in a bun who wanders around town that checks all the phone boxes for change? always has an umbrella and bag of shopping with her, can smell her a mile away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement