Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefered road from East to West

Options
  • 19-06-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi. I planning go for little trip from Meath to Mayo.
    Google maps showing 2 options:

1. N4 through Longford > N5 to Castlera > and then N60 to Ashford Castle. (199km)
    2. N53 (terrible road) through Mullingar > N6 to Athlone > R363 (17km) > N63 > to Tuam R333 > R334 Headford >Ashford Castle (207km)

Which road is quicker?? (not shorter) :D

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

do you mean the M6 to athlone? coz that's an ace road. drove it last week and you really do fly along, you can then go from athlone to tuam, alot of the way on decent roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where in Meath to Where in Mayo????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 michael_d

Kells to Cong (Ashford Castle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

From joining the N6 after Mullingar, you'd only be on the really good road for a very short time before turning off at Athlone, there's no point doing that from what I can see.
    The N4 is a good road as far as Longford so I'd head for that.

I'd almost be tempted to go for the N4/N5 to where it meets the N17. Turn left there and head through Claremorris and from Claremorris head to Ballinrobe and then Cong. The N4/N5 would be a good road, and the N17 is a good road, so you'd only be doing real cross country for the last bit.
    It is about 35km longer though.

There's no good option though, especially when you don't know the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Best route:

N6-N18-N17(4km north of Claregalway)-N84-R334

Btw the N84 is one of the worst secondary routes in the country IMO but it better than the other route especially for a 3hr + journey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement