Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Glasses ?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Thought I would start a thread about something that may concern us all ,if not now then sometime in the future and that is eye strain .I suppose like many of us I spend a considerable amount of time on the pc and latley have noticed my eyes are sometimes very sore which I put down to continuous use of looking at computer screen . I looked up on the net about this and as we are all aware , we do spend a considerable amount of time sat in the one position looking ( if not staring) at our screens .This over a period of time puts a considerable amount of stress on our eyes , neck and back whcih can lead to tension headaches or migraine

So I was wondering , does anybody use computer glasses which are supposedly great for reducing eye strain and glare from pc screens and if so , what type do you recomend ? .There seems to be two main types available ,normal computer glasses and the pin head type .

Lots of sites with information but just want to get other people opinions and expierences off computer glasses before deciding which (if any ) ones to choose

Thanks for any help in this matter .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

I very much agree with you and computer glasses can benefit as long as they are properly fitted and correctly prescribed. Better to consult Optometrists and ophthalmologists who are knowledgeable in problems resulting from computer vision syndrome and can help you find an appropriate pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thanks for you're input Joanbent and will look into seeing an Optometrists and Ophthalmologists .It would be easy to just order a pair of computer glasses of the web but best to see somebody in person who is knowledgeable in problems resulting from computer vision syndrome rather than ordering a pair of the web . I know it's early days with this thread on this forum .But I think this will become a problem for many people of all age groups who continue to use the pc over long periods , on a regular daily basis .

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Hi, I'm like you, always on my computer:rolleyes:
    I recently got computer glasses because I had the same thing as you, strained eyes. Now that I have them there is a considerable difference.

That's intresting lalee .Might I ask as to wear you bought the glasses from and did you go see an Optometrists ,Ophthalmologists or Optician beforehand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I went to Vision Express. They told me that there's a huge amount of people getting glasses specifically for their computers/reading.

• Advertisement

I think the problem as I mentioned is we spend so much time staring / looking into our pc monitors and although we can sometimes make our bodys more comfortable while typing on lap tops ,it's more difficult on pc were we are sitting in one position and focusing for long periods .Even with lap tops we can put strain on our necks and backs leading in the long term to eye strain and headaches .

Thanks Lalee17

( excuse typo errors in first post )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

I wear a weaker rx with prism lenses for computer use, it's half my distance rx. This has significantly alleviated my eye strain, not just for computer use, but also for reading. (I have about two degrees of astigmatism so reading without glasses gives me headaches) Ask your optometrist for an eye exam, explaining your problem. Of course, regular breaks from the screen are just as important.

Advertisement