Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Pain

Options
  • 19-06-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I've already posted this to another forum (apologies) but is prob better suited here.

Have recently returned to playing basketball a couple of nights a week. Apart form the usual aches and pains due to not being at complete fitness I've developed sever pains in the soles of my feet.

They are in the mid section of my foot. The arch is sore but it gets far more painful as it radiates out to the side of my foot.

I've had injuries and suffer from problems with hip and back. Just wondering do you think this could be caused by runners or is it something wrong with my feet??

(I don't think its the runners - it could be maybe 4 days between sessions and outside of foot is still excruciating to the touch in the wrong place)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

seeing as you have other issues relating to your lower back and limbs you should really go and seek the advice of a professional on this.

Your GP should be your first stop, they may in turn refer you to a podiatrist. You'll find loads of info on a podiatrist near you on the Irish Podiatry Assoc website. They tend to be skilled at diagnosising postural and foot related issues.

No one on an anonymous internet forum should or would be able to tell you whats wrong dude. Good luck with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Yeah - I think GP / Podiatrist / professional assessment would be the way to go too.

I'm not placed to diagnose or give you advice ... but I have had a similar experience in the past, when I took up indoor football. I found myself in pain the morning after, with cramps in my ankles and feet, and a tight feeling in my legs and lower back.

After the third week, I decided it wasn't just lack of fitness, and I got advice from my father-in-law (retired doctor). He took one look at me, and asked to see my running shoes ... they were completely unsuitable for someone of my weight, doing that kind of activity.

You wouldn't believe the difference a good pair of trainers made :)

Best of luck - let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

seeing as you have other issues relating to your lower back and limbs you should really go and seek the advice of a professional on this.

Your GP should be your first stop, they may in turn refer you to a podiatrist. You'll find loads of info on a podiatrist near you on the Irish Podiatry Assoc website. They tend to be skilled at diagnosising postural and foot related issues.

No one on an anonymous internet forum should or would be able to tell you whats wrong dude. Good luck with it though

Apologies... I should have worded the thread more carefully... Was more interested to see if people had similar problems associated due to footwear. Granted there obviously could be an underlying condition that might require medical attention.

No offense to the medical profession, but when it comes to backpain/posture/hip etc I think the solution seems to be the same. Stretch, and take anti inflammatorys, a solution which I am not willing to accept. I'd rather research the problem myself.

Thanks for the replies all the same..
    Will investigate the runners.
    :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

physio is what you need, I had a very similar problem after running a race in the wrong shoes damaging the plantar in the sole of my foot. It could also be fallen arches, no-one can really work this out for you.

Look up plantar fasciitis on google and see does it sound similar to what you are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

loctite wrote: »
    Apologies... I should have worded the thread more carefully... Was more interested to see if people had similar problems associated due to footwear. Granted there obviously could be an underlying condition that might require medical attention.

No offense to the medical profession, but when it comes to backpain/posture/hip etc I think the solution seems to be the same. Stretch, and take anti inflammatorys, a solution which I am not willing to accept. I'd rather research the problem myself.

Thanks for the replies all the same..
    Will investigate the runners.
    :)

thats why I also suggested a podiatrist. They aren't about stretchy stuff. Much more involved than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have similar problems. My left ankle joint has a congenital defect. I also have fallen arches on both feet. Orthotics have been a good help to me although it's an ongoing process.

Advertisement