Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiant wall heating & heat pumps

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'd like to ask if anyone has ever installed/used any radiant wall heating systems?
    Under-floor heating is pretty well established but its probably not ideal for retrofitting into an old (+150yrs) building.
    Radiant wall heating with a heat pump seems a good alternative.
    I have a 1300sqft house that I'm renovating and looking at different options... any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Don't know very much about them, but to work in the radiant mode, I would have thought that they would need very high temperatures.

Generally, water output heat pumps are at their most efficient with an output temperature of around 35C-45C. Above that, they need immersion boosting which drastically reduces the efficiency, that's why they're often used with underfloor which works well at the lower temperatures.

For retrofit, what about an air output heat pump? My personal choice would be air to air units which are cheap, reliable, easy to fit and control and available with good efficiency, but I know not everybody likes them, I expect we'll hear alternative views soon enough!

Cheeble-eers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MrT1

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It works using the principle as under-floor heating so low water temepratures from heat pumps should be perfect i.e. 35/30 oC.
    I want to be able to use heat pump at night- with heat stored in the building fabric for the next day - a 50mm screed used in under-floor heating is perfect for this but I was just wondering what the wall heating equivalent is?? & How air is bled from the system??Installaing AAV's at high points in the system isnt really feasible if pipes are installed in wall.

Advertisement