Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabayon

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Half considering this. Is it really any better than gentoo? If so, why? The FAQ isn't inspiring me to switch (my use flags are already optimised for my hardware for example).

I am slightly bored of the upkeep that gentoo requires v's say ubuntu, but I love having the latest and greatest of some stuff (mencoder and wine spring to mind), and also it has a tiny memory footprint because there's not a lot of stuff installed compared to a "normal" binary distro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bluplr

I've only used the sabayon livecd so don't know about how it runs. Have you considered arch linux? It has the best of both worlds with having extremely up to date software with a very quick package manager.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I hadn't considered arch. I'll look into it, thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yes, that arch linux could be just the ticket. I might give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sabayon looks great, I'm dl'in now to have a go

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

You'll fit right in with all the other Gentoo defectors.

• Advertisement

Tillotson wrote: »
    You'll fit right in with all the other Gentoo defectors.

Nope, it doesn't like my hardware so I'll be sticking with Debian for now

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

I meant Gentoo to Arch. If your hardware doesn't work with either of these then your doing it wrong.

Tillotson wrote: »
    I meant Gentoo to Arch. If your hardware doesn't work with either of these then your doing it wrong.

I didn't try very hard, it doesn't like my fake raid and wouldn't boot from cd without spewing out some error so i just gave up. Might have another go later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i'm new to linux, sabayon is the dog's bollix
    4.2 worked straight out of the box, nvidea, and wireless...perfect, compiz and emerald theme manager already to go ! 10/10
    dual booting with win 7

Advertisement