Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Aftermath

Options
  • 19-06-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭

Thread for discussing how it went for you and what answers you got.

Personally I think I might have passed (wasn't expecting to, but did higher anyway, because the stuff I DID know I reckoned I could do on Higher just as well), so you could say i found it easy enough.

As for answers:

1(a): Simple enough proof.
    1(b)(i): Goes up, then goes down twice as steep.
    1(b)(ii): F = 1 (didn't give units, lose marks?)

2(a)(i): i got 983.06m at first, but then did it again and got 582.41m
    2(a)(ii): 464m; 352m
    2(b): sqrt((uT-8)/(u*u))

3(a)(i): 200/14sqrt(10)cosA
    3(a)(ii): blah blah blah: Angles must be pi/4 + 2npi or -pi/4 + 2npi
    3(b): didn't get.

5(a)(i): 4u/(1+e) and 4ue/(1+e) (everything for my question 5 is complete guesswork btw.
    5(a)(ii): blah blah blah v2>v1 and since momentum conserved and u2<u1 then Ball 2 must have gained speed.
    5(a)(iii): 2.6
    5(b)(i): Drew triangle out with points at center or two circles and point it hits circle, then sin^-1(r/2r) = 30.
    5(b)(ii): Ended up getting that both balls end up moving at 30 degrees, so wrong :P.

6(a)(i): Distance proportional to force applied therefore SHM?

And can't remember the answer for 6(a)(ii) or 10(a), that's all i attempted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

it was lovely! , didnt get the second part of collisions and forgot that the triangular lamina for moments of inertia had a weird centre of gravity! , didnt fully get projectiles out , everything else was lovely , did Q2 , Q1, Q3 ,Q4 , Q5 ,Q8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It was an alright paper. Lots of tricky bits. 4 was hard. I messed it up and I ended up doing it 3 times so hopefully one of my 3 answers is right.

How did you do the prove cosA = 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Fringe wrote: »
    It was an alright paper. Lots of tricky bits. 4 was hard. I messed it up and I ended up doing it 3 times so hopefully one of my 3 answers is right.

How did you do the prove cosA = 30?
    Connect the centre of circles to each other, and to the point of contact of U and the circle B, and you end up with a right angled triangle (since U must be tangent to B), distance between 2 centres is 2r, distance between centre of B and point of contact is r, so sinA = r/2r =1/2

I thought the derivation of the simple harmonic motion formula was very nice. You just had to find the second derivative of the x(t) function.

I used calculus for 2(a) as well, I got 160m for their closest distance; I don't know if that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I thought the derivation of the simple harmonic motion formula was very nice. You just had to find the second derivative of the x(t) function.

I used calculus for 2(a) as well, I got 160m for their closest distance; I don't know if that's right.

i got 160 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Connect the centre of circles to each other, and to the point of contact of U and the circle B, and you end up with a right angled triangle (since U must be tangent to B), distance between 2 centres is 2r, distance between centre of B and point of contact is r, so sinA = r/2r =1/2

Ah, ok. I looked at the paper now and only just saw the tangent just touches B. Didn't see that. I thought I had to do something like that so I drew a triangle. I just threw in a sin-1 3r/6r = 30 with a badly drawn diagram. Hope I get the marks for that.

And I got 160m for the closest distance as well.

The time I got for the second part was something like T/sqrt(49u^2 - 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Garf

I didn't have enough time. I stopped and moved onto the next question at all 5 of the 25 minute intervals and got no question fully worked out.

If the department of education want more people to pass mathematical subjects, what they need to do is give us more time in exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

D I S A S T E R

question 3 was the only one i did fully.
    question 7 was absolutely disgusting.
    did q1,4,5,10 but didn't get all parts of any of them

so annoyed that this is what i finishing with, cause it was my worst exam by a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

Did 1-4, answered them all, but 5 & 7 poorly... As long as you wrote the right methods although not exact correct answers, you'll still get marks for that right? Hope I get a pass at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickey64

here are some of the answers i got
    2b ut÷(4+u)
    5aiii e=1÷3
    5bii a goes north, b goes west 9.4dgr north
    5biii 13.48%
    6b 8820M÷(pi x N)sqr'd
    10a y=sqr root of(sqr root(x÷2)-1)
    10bi u=sqr root of (3g÷k)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Fince wrote: »
    D I S A S T E R

question 3 was the only one i did fully.
    question 7 was absolutely disgusting.
    did q1,4,5,10 but didn't get all parts of any of them

so annoyed that this is what i finishing with, cause it was my worst exam by a distance.

Agreed.... I have no idea what happened to me, my standard in App.maths is atroscious, I blame it on me putting it onto the back of my mind since it was at the end of the LC. and I was counting that for points... I'll be lucky if I pass. I have to go change my CAO

Crystler wrote: »
    I'll be lucky if I pass. I have to go change my CAO

Don't! Don't go changing your CAO, you'll kick yourself in August. Leave whatever course(s) you want to do at the top, and then move your reserves into 2nd/3rd place. That way, if you don't get the points for your first choice you'll be fine, and if you do get the points for your 1st/2nd or whatever you'll be fine also. If you change it, you're just limiting yourself. It's a big mistake to change it around too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hamonrye

shockingly bad, very disappointed.

Don't! Don't go changing your CAO, you'll kick yourself in August. Leave whatever course(s) you want to do at the top, and then move your reserves into 2nd/3rd place. That way, if you don't get the points for your first choice you'll be fine, and if you do get the points for your 1st/2nd or whatever you'll be fine also. If you change it, you're just limiting yourself. It's a big mistake to change it around too much.

Ya, but I had alot banking on app.maths, and due to it being a flop my 1st 5 choices are a flop now.... (medicine in all 5 colleges- so i kinda have to alter it if I want to go to college next year.... I guess I can wait till monday to see how the HPAT went... but still) any career guidance teachers here?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Ya, but I had alot banking on app.maths, and due to it being a flop my 1st 5 choices are a flop now.... (medicine in all 5 colleges- so i kinda have to alter it if I want to go to college next year.... I guess I can wait till monday to see how the HPAT went... but still) any career guidance teachers here?!!?

Relax! if you had decent methods, you'll get enough marks in it. Its not so much about answers as method. All the students in my school (three to be precise) thought that was a really hard exam. I can do most of the questions in the past exam papers but a lot of the questions this year were much harder and will be marked accordingly. You might get a better result than you expected!

The only question i found fairly easy on that paper was the projectiles one. I dont think i got completely correct answers for any other question but my methods were all good. It was only a few mathematical slips that will have taken me down so im hoping for a half decent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Did anyone get the range question out? I got it with 12 on the bottom line instead of 13. I presume I was wrong and there is no flaw in the question?

AndyWhite wrote: »
    Relax! if you had decent methods, you'll get enough marks in it. Its not so much about answers as method. All the students in my school (three to be precise) thought that was a really hard exam. I can do most of the questions in the past exam papers but a lot of the questions this year were much harder and will be marked accordingly. You might get a better result than you expected!

The only question i found fairly easy on that paper was the projectiles one. I dont think i got completely correct answers for any other question but my methods were all good. It was only a few mathematical slips that will have taken me down so im hoping for a half decent result.

Ya, I presume so, the past papers were alot more manageable than this paper in my opinion, or it's most likely because it was completely new, that's why i didn't know what to do. My methods were decent but ended up the same... wrong, but I just wrote down every action possible to do the questions :S....

According to the irish times, this paper was unfair, according to the Teachers association in app.maths, teachers even found it tricky. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0620/1224249190863.html

Hopefully, just putting in methods (might have applied the wrong types of things, but no fault on my mathematics just my abstract thinking of the diagrams messed me up. (I sometimes mix up A with B etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Ya, I presume so, the past papers were alot more manageable than this paper in my opinion, or it's most likely because it was completely new, that's why i didn't know what to do. My methods were decent but ended up the same... wrong, but I just wrote down every action possible to do the questions :S....

According to the irish times, this paper was unfair, according to the Teachers association in app.maths, teachers even found it tricky. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0620/1224249190863.html

Hopefully, just putting in methods (might have applied the wrong types of things, but no fault on my mathematics just my abstract thinking of the diagrams messed me up. (I sometimes mix up A with B etc...)

Yeah, I think that's everyones main downfall in the subject. just silly little mistakes! Im interested to see how the marks will go for the exam now but id say that 20% of A1s will drop quite sharply this year! Im still glad i did the subject though! Itll be worthwhile for me regardless cos im going for an engineering course next year! Anyway, exams are over now! not worth worrying about the whole time! enjoy the summer!

Advertisement