Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Church and the cervical vaccine

Options
  • 19-06-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

what does the church have against it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Long story short, a sexually transmitted virus can cause cervical cancer, and obviously the best way to avoid this is by not having pre-marital sex. If you vaccinate women against then it they're just going to go have sex all willy nilly.

tl;dr: Because they're freakin morons.

ps, hey Hurin, add this to my list of why I hate religion kthnxbye

Edit: Spelling and alcohol do not mix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm not sure that the catholic church has an official policy on it, but there are certainly plenty of other religious institutions which deprecate it in fairly lurid terms.

The current medical understanding is that cervical cancer is caused by a virus which is sexually transmitted. If a woman sticks to the religious view of sex in which she has only ever has sex with just one virgin man, then she's not understood to be at risk of developing the disease. Conversely, a woman who does not stick to the religious view of sex certainly is at risk of developing the disease -- either through having sex with more than one man, or by having sex with a man who had sex with at least one other woman.

The possibility that women might "sleep around" is offensive to many religious people, and it seems that a lot of them think that having a potentially fatal threat linked to "sleeping around" is a good idea.

The fact that women will almost certainly die is not a concern.

I don't think the Church as a whole has an official position on the matter. One of the big scandals was a Catholic school in Manchester that forbid students from getting the vaccine. Their solution: "Instead of taking it for granted that teenagers will engage in sexual activity, we can offer a vision of a full life keeping yourself for a lifelong partnership in marriage."

Well it's a policy that's working for AIDS in Africa, right?

Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Zillah wrote: »
    ps, hey Hurin, add this to my list of why I hate religion kthnxbye

'kthnx' for smearing (sorry) all religious people for the crimes of the Catholic Church.

BTW it wasn't cancelled because the boys in purple complained but because the boys in the Finance dept complained.

From your thread last week:

I don't want to start them off thinking in such an intolerant and close minded fashion. I don't want my children to chop the world up into tidy packages of right and wrong, of good and evil, and have them believe such things are true in the sense that the statement "The sky is blue" is true.

Isn't this what you're doing here and every other time you get angry about the crimes of religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There are other fundamental christian "cults" who are also opposed to this.

My OHs flatmate is a member of some American cult called the "Church of Christ" or some ****...completely brain washed and a whole different thread...but anyway...

My OH has had 2 procedures for pre cancerous cervical cancer cells over the past 10 years...so one evening watching TV..a prog came on about the vaccine and it being available and the flatmate pipes up about how wrong and disgusting it is to have such a vaccine available in that it encourages sex etc.

My OH hit the ceiling and informed her about her own procedures and that if that vaccine had been available 15-20 yrs ago things wld be very different.

It certainly quietened her flatmate.

ps This flatmate also states that the Pope is not a Christian...:D

• Advertisement

Húrin wrote: »
    'kthnx' for smearing (sorry) all religious people for the crimes of the Catholic Church.

BTW it wasn't cancelled because the boys in purple complained but because the boys in the Finance dept complained.

Here now, there's a difference between the claims of "Religion caused this" and "All religious people are responsible for this". If you want to distance yourself from this sort of madness then please do so, the less support lunatics like this can claim the better.

ps This flatmate also states that the Pope is not a Christian...:D

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

Yeah I know...what can you say to that.

Mental stuff. She is 22 and completely brainwashed and speaks with the strongest American accent. This cult, I mean Chruch *cough*, is based in mid west USA and being friends with or speaking to people outside their own church is frowned upon and there is unbelievable pressure on them to marry as soon as possible. My OH found her crying one night as she is "past it" and "on the shelf" and will never find a husband..she is 22:eek:

there is unbelievable pressure on them to marry as soon as possible.
    ...and create more little people who will be subjected to the same indoctrination and the same subsequent pressure to reproduce early and often.

Behold the power of the Meme. Yuk.

robindch wrote: »
    ...and create more little people who will be subjected to the same indoctrination and the same subsequent pressure to reproduce early and often.

Behold the power of the Meme. Yuk.

Oh yeah absolutely, it's all about control and every child is a blessing and getting pregnant is actively encouraged..once married of course. She is also sending over money to them regularly which is worrying....as she never has any money.

Sorry going off topic...

• Advertisement

Oh yeah absolutely, it's all about control and every child is a blessing and getting pregnant is actively encouraged..once married of course. She is also sending over money to them regularly which is worrying....as she never has any money.

Sorry going off topic...
    Not off-topic at all -- this kind of openly memetic behaviour is not all that common in religion; it's usually done with a bit more subtlety.

Are you aware of any documents which prescribe this behavior? Or is it all transmitted by word of mouth?

robindch wrote: »
    Not off-topic at all -- this kind of openly memetic behaviour is not all that common in religion; it's usually done with a bit more subtlety.

Are you aware of any documents which prescribe this behavior? Or is it all transmitted by word of mouth?

From what I can gather, its word of mouth, I dont see her with any papers, documents etc. She does get a lot of CDs sent to her. Now myself and the OH are atheist and I am very much opposed to religion so I dont get into any debates with her and it isnt discussed when I am around.

TBH how can you have a normal and frank discussion with somebody who is so brainwashed (apologies for using such a emotive term)? You cant because she doesnt think for herself.

Other than that she she lovely, oh yeah and the chronic hypocondria, eating disorder, addiction to laxatives and pain killers aside.

She goes to worship every Sunday but its always in somebodies house as opposed to any centralised place like a Chruch building.

We are just waiting for her to rebel. The pressure she put under especially by her family (who are also in this cult) is cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Now myself and the OH are atheist ...

How did she wind up living with a cult member?

Theres a sitcom in this I tell ya.:D

dvpower wrote: »
    How did she wind up living with a cult member?

Theres a sitcom in this I tell ya.:D

LOL.

The OH owns the house she needs the tenant to pay her mortgage..simple as.

I left my edition of "The God Delusion" in the kitchen one day and to be fair she didnt take the bait...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I left my edition of "The God Delusion" in the kitchen one day and to be fair she didnt take the bait...:D

You should make a shrine consisting of a life size cardboard standee of Richard Dawkins surrounded by candles and incense.

Perhaps she needs to hear from a nicer and more liberal Christian church.
    Yeah I know...what can you say to that.

Mental stuff. She is 22 and completely brainwashed and speaks with the strongest American accent. This cult, I mean Chruch *cough*, is based in mid west USA and being friends with or speaking to people outside their own church is frowned upon and there is unbelievable pressure on them to marry as soon as possible.

Sounds like a cult. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Mormon Church.

TBH I dont think she knows what she is involved with as any questions the OH asks get very sparse answers.

But what we are told is that they are the only true church in the world...dont you know...;)..and the pope is not a christian..she has honestly said that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

TBH I dont think she knows what she is involved with as any questions the OH asks get very sparse answers.

But what we are told is that they are the only true church in the world...dont you know...;)..and the pope is not a christian..she has honestly said that..

You get a lot of that from some of the Baptists....

'I've nothing against my Catholic brothers and sisters.......(big smile - pause).....BUT THEY FOLLOW A CHURCH OF EYE-DOLA-TARY'.

Mind you, even branches of the Klan let in Papists now.....

Theres more than a few suspects as to her exact allegiance....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

Nodin wrote: »
    You get a lot of that from some of the Baptists....

'I've nothing against my Catholic brothers and sisters.......(big smile - pause).....BUT THEY FOLLOW A CHURCH OF EYE-DOLA-TARY'.

Mind you, even branches of the Klan let in Papists now.....

Theres more than a few suspects as to her exact allegiance....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

I am familiar with Baptists and they make no claim to be the only true church. According to their definition, whatever churches have people who genuinely trust in Jesus Christ alone are the true churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I am familiar with Baptists .

I was referring to the anti-catholic element
    eg
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2594/
    http://www.gnfc.org/
    http://www.justforcatholics.org/

"The three Bob Jones's, especially Bob Jones, Jr., sharply criticized the Roman Catholic Church. For instance, Jones, Jr. once said that Catholicism was "not another Christian denomination. It is a satanic counterfeit, an ecclesiastic tyranny over the souls of men....It is the old harlot of the book of the Revelation—'the Mother of Harlots.'" All popes, Jones asserted, "are demon possessed."[90] In 2000, then-president Bob Jones III referred, on the University's web page, to Mormons and Catholics as "cults which call themselves Christian."[
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University#Criticism_of_Catholicism_and_Mormonism

• Advertisement

In addition, Baptists, while a large denomination in America, are not a recent American import here. Baptists have been in Ireland for over 300 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I am familiar with Baptists and they make no claim to be the only true church. According to their definition, whatever churches have people who genuinely trust in Jesus Christ alone are the true churches.

Of course people that don't agree with them don't genuinely trust in Jesus...
    And people that pray to saints, even if just as intercedents, doesn't trust in Jesus alone

:)

From your thread last week:

Isn't this what you're doing here and every other time you get angry about the crimes of religion?

Didn't see this edit until now. Suffice to say, no, absolutely not. What I do, each and every time religion does something reprehensible, is to register my entirely subjective opinion that such is reprehensible. I have never, ever, claimed objectivity in such a regard, and frankly I'm a little disappointed that you have so misunderstood me.

Advertisement