Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the negativity?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Yes, Limerick has an image problem. Yes, there are dodgy people around. Yes it has a crime problem (how big relative to other towns of it's size is open to debate).

But do we have to have umpteen threads giving out about "scum" this and "scobes" the other? Is it not possible to have a discussion about job seeking without going on a rant about the long term unemployed and thier benefits? Are some posters here not able to have a conversation that doesn't take a swipe at immigrants?

You might not have noticed but Boards.ie is one of teh 20 biggest websites in Ireland, above the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, Irishtimes.com. Independent.ie, Amazon and so on. A *lot* of people - including local and national journalists - read it. A lot of journalists source stories here. Every thread here that reeks of negativity is driving this city down. You're not just venting, or having a rant. You are having a material effect on the place you live when you use that kind of language.

We all know that this city has issues. I see no problem with talking about them here. But it doesn't have to be done in such an aggressive way - you can make your point without talking about scum (and without needing to be overly PC about it).

And if things are that bad then stop being a keyboard warrior - either move somewhere else or get stuck in and make this place better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Positivity here please.

Kevin Kiely is the New Mayor.

The Regeneration Project has begun.

The worst of the recession is over with.(Dependant on your personal situation)

The weather is improving.

The New M7 Motorway is motoring towards completion(pun intended).

Limerick / Clare County Council are going to increase the Dual Carraigeway speeds to 120kmh as per new NRA rules.

Has anybody anything else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i have to agree with you there,,some people seem hell bent on just criticising limerick,,dont know why there even living here if it so bad!!!like you said if it's that bad go do something to help the community!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

This is a nice change... LEts post something nice, something that we like about Limerick.

Each person could post just one thing nice or positive about limerick.

Sporting culture is 1 that I like...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Good thread.

IrishVamp need not apply............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good things:

* Easy to drive around, no major traffic problems.

* At a great location in Ireland, easy to get to other cities like Galway, Cork, Dublin (particularly when the new road improvements are finished.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Good thread.

IrishVamp need not apply............

I Lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good things:

* Easy to drive around, no major traffic problems.

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

When I am on a downer about Limerick city, I have an easy way to snap out of it. I just imagine that I am living in Tipp town and suddenly I am very happy with Limerick :D

The airport nearby and the ease in terms of distance to Cork and Galway and Kerry are positives for me. Plus not being near Dublin is another :)

Kess73 wrote: »
    When I am on a downer about Limerick city, I have an easy way to snap out of it. I just imagine that I am living in Tipp town and suddenly I am very happy with Limerick :D

The airport nearby and the ease in terms of distance to Cork and Galway and Kerry are positives for me. Plus not being near Dublin is another :)

Agreed on the tipp town part.

I just ignore the scobes in the city. Its the only way to go imho.

Limerick is a great city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Berty wrote: »
    Positivity here please.

Kevin Kiely is the New Mayor.

/facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Are you for real?

Ah, it's not too bad in fairness, not as bad as Dublin.

The dual carriage-way running along the south side of the city is handy if you want to quickly go from one end to the other quickly.

I'm just trying to be positive (after being told I like whining on another thread)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Besides being near to the airport, Limerick city is only 1.5 miles from Clare is another good thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Mod Edit: Post removed, keep it positive! :)

If that was your experience of Limerick then I'm awfully, awfully sorry for you. How terribly sad that you suffered in this way and I really, really hope that you haven't been left in any way traumatised by the nasty people. It's nice that you still think enough of teh city to return to the forum even after leaving though.

I've lived on the NI border during the hunger strikes. I've spent time in the Bogside in Derry. I lived in Hackney in East London. I've lived in Southern New Jersey. My wife lived in Jo'burg.

Trust me, Limerick really isn't that bad.

In almost 10 years living in this town I have never seen so much as a fist fight. I have never felt personally threatened. I have never been concerned for teh safety of my wife or children. I have never been a victim of theft. I have not been a victim of vandalism. I have owned a series of classic cars (Lotus, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes). I have left all routinely parked on the streets of Limerick and never had them damaged (unlike teh Renault I had that was keyed in Derry). I rarely lock my front door or my car. I know my neighbours and they know me.

And no I don't have a sheltered life - I've worked with people from Southill (one invited me to his wedding, it was great craic). I go out, I've walked through the center of town half cut in the early hours of the morning. Felt safer than Dublin, I'll tell you that.

Every city has a criminal element. You can call a refusal to obsess about it "hiding your head in the sand". Me, I'm too busy getting on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After all the "Limerick is crap, I hate scumbags, raheen now sucks, go home foreigners, boo hoo my job is gone" threads, its nice to have a positive happy Limerick thread for a change. I'm going to clean this thread up, so lets try and stick to the positive aspects of the city

Kudos to Amadeus for starting it - great idea, and a nice antidote to the overflow of negative threads that have popped up here in the last few weeks. Cheers.... :)

Ah, it's not too bad in fairness, not as bad as Dublin.

The dual carriage-way running along the south side of the city is handy if you want to quickly go from one end to the other quickly.

I'm just trying to be positive (after being told I like whining on another thread)! :D

Okay that is one positive that you can pass all the negative parts of the city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Southern Bypass including the tunnel is designed for us so we can reclaim our city from traffic.

Most Dublin to Galway bound traffic will go through the city and not use the Link Rd to the Dock Road.

I drop my GF off every morning on the Tipp Rd and have to get to Galway and need to drive right through the city centre.

With the tunnell we will not have to.

The City Centre should then be able to work on the pedestrianisation of the city centre(like Patrick St, Cork) and bring business, shoppers and tourism back into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Good things about Limerick:

The people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Stab*City wrote: »
    Good things about Limerick:

The people

I have to agree with this i think if you ever go any place in the world there is no one who are as friendly as limerick people , putting all the sh1t aside no matter even if you dont know someone here limerick people are always friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

i SAID THIS a year ago, but you all want to stick in the recession.

i suppose you finally realise it's all in the head. We need to start realsing that the change of thinking is all that is NEEDED. The self awareness can help this.

To change the view of Limerick. You have two choices, say something good or say something bad, whichever you focus on that is the reality that is going to happen. If your going to bitch about the city, then you must do a good deed for the city or do something positive to change the negativity, rather than sitting in your chair whining like baboon.

Here is an example
    Like let's stop "oh Limierick's has it's problems" but its a nice city"
    Start with going to the park maybe
    Start with picking up your rubbish
    Start with saying hello to people on the street
    Start with giving good ideas to people that will make the city as more vibrant place
    Start a market in the milkmarket
    Start an action campaign against anti social behaviour
    Start spreading awareness to the things we can do to make the place more friendly
    Start taking negative criticisms and finding a positive solution to amend the old way.

Every city has it's problem, there is no need to continuously point it out alll the time. Limerick imo is a very attractive city to live in. Alot of college friends who studied in Limerick said it was the best Uni city to live in. They preferred Limerick over Cork or Galway to live.

Think Of Limerick on a sunny day along the riverfront. Even when I was a kid, I was amazed at how beatiful this city was, and 14years ago there was a lot more dereliction than other cities. But now even that is changing. The city centre is very attractive IMO.

I personally from an outside point of view don't need to speak downtrodden about Limerick, because i don't give this treatment to any town in Ireland. I also don't watch T.V, so RTE can't twist my perception of reality either.

Seriously guys it's about time people start appreciating the good things about the place, if anything it makes you feel better just by doing that.

That my two cent's.

There is only problem with Limerick right now, is that alot of whiners and donogooders are stuck in the negative frame of mind, not the city, and they are responsible for tarnishing and downing the city.

You dont watch TV - something wrong with you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Lots of people don't watch TV or very very little of it. Might watch 10 minutes a week myself. Might have something to do with all the unbelieveable sh*te that's on. Plus you can pick up your news on the web or radio.

I agree with what a lot of what mysterious said, except to say that the people who are tarnishing limerick are really the 350 individuals the gardai have identified as being involved in gangland violence and criminality, and I think alot of ordinary people are just sick to their teeth of it and the bad publicity it brings from the media which seems to be disproportionate and biased when compared to what is going on in the capital. Personally I think Limerick city centre is alot lot safer than it was in the mid to late 80's in terms of visible anti-social behaviour/drunken brawls in nightclubs and the streets. Gangland violence in recent years has certainly skewed the figures and makes the city seem dangerous when it's not. And aesthetically of course it has improved dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

What I like about Limerick:
    1/The arena in UL, what a fantastic facility, the running track, the sports centre, the 50m pool, the walks along the river there, Im there several times a week training (swimming, athletics) and I really love it.
    2/Lough Gur - so beautiful, so peaceful. A place like that in Dublin would be crowded all the time.
    3/The Shannon - a lovely river running thru the city centre, you can watch the swans almost every day, lots of greenery on the Clare side.
    4/Cratloe Woods.
    5/Curragh Chase.
    6/emmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

At long last Limerick has a Venue that can attract and host big Acts.
    no more traveling all the way to Dublin to see a Concert if its possible they
    can be lured into playing down here!

Limerick now has its own Skate park nice for an alternative sport/pasttime
    Limerick now has its own Airsoft site. nice for an alternative sport/pasttime

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

we have our own airsoft site?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

zuroph wrote: »
    we have our own airsoft site?! :eek:

Yes in Ballyneety a bit west of the Golf Course.
    The Politicians were even out canvassing on the opening day
    before the elections.

http://pl-pl.facebook.com/pages/Limerick-Airsoft-Camp/75712384622?ref=mf
    http://limerickairsoft.darkbb.com/

th_LAC090509814.jpgth_LAC090509769.jpg
    th_LAC090509764.jpgth_LAC090509674.jpg

You dont watch TV - something wrong with you! :)

No there is something wrong with you, if you think reality is on t.V.

Reality is all around you, maybe you have forgotten that:)

Nothing wrong with me;)

I love the old georgian area of Limerick espeicially Mallow, Old Cresent, Glenthworth street, Baker place, Taits clock and Catherine street is very pretty too.

Also Henry street as a modern street is classy.

You should be really proud of your city centre and make more an efffort to make is better ankd keep it tidy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'll try and give an honest appraisal of Limerick City.....

What I like about it
    1. The mocking sense of humour that you get from some of the inner city natives, it can be quite amusing and entertaining.
    2. Thomond Park, King John's Castle, The Hunt Museum.
    3. Its size, not too big, not too small.
    4. Its layout - easy to navigate.
    5. Henry St - A fine straight and wide, mostly one-way street, newly renovated and a model for all other city streets.
    6. Dooradoyle - as a suburb its got nearly everything, great pubs, the Crescent, library, good gyms, very few traffic problems and near the ring road.

What I dislike about it
    1. Its over-run with scumbags, sorry but it is.
    2. Its lack of intimacy - it doesn't have any quaint, narrow shopping streets/cafe areas like Cork or Galway and therefore doesn't attract tourists.
    3. The niteclub bouncers - very ignorant and nearly all on power trips, the worst in Ireland.
    4. The Gaelic Grounds - a white elephant if ever I saw one, a 30k capacity stadium would have done fine. Also the Mackey Stand is a disaster!
    5. Turning its back on the Shannon - although recent attempts would seem to suggest otherwise, the city does largely turn its back on the river, instead of facing onto it and developing the docklands into a trendy spot.
    6. William St - self explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mysterious wrote: »
    Catherine street is very pretty too.
    Catherine St is as ugly as it gets! Its falling down, the amount of derelict buildings on it is shocking and its home to some highly undesireable folk. One of my least favourite parts of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

grenache wrote: »
    Catherine St is as ugly as it gets! Its falling down, the amount of derelict buildings on it is shocking and its home to some highly undesireable folk. One of my least favourite parts of the city.
    Agreed, saying Catherine St is pretty is way off the mark. The lower part that has been pedestrianised is nice but the majority is derelict, it's a pity cause it has big potential.

Positives about Limerick
    Standard of Third Level Education
    Sporting Ethos
    Sporting Arenas
    Dolans Warehouse
    Riverside Developments
    Standard of Hotel Accomodation
    The Pubs
    The People
    O Callaghan/Clancy Strand
    Negatives about Limerick
    Lack of top quality restaurants
    O Connell St up as far as the Crescent
    William St
    Patrick St
    Not enough Mens clothing stores, limited options.
    Unreliable Bus Service
    Scum making a nuisance of themselves in respected areas
    No city centre cinema
    Standard of footpaths

Advertisement