Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airsoft Medical Corps Recruiting (South Dublin/Wicklow)

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

The Irish Airsoft Medical Corps is the new medical team for Airsoft events here in Ireland currently based in south Dublin and are looking for members. We are setting up a corps of personnel who wish to train to become combat medics.

When you join, you will engage in a certified basic first aid and wilderness survival skills course. After which you will advance to Occupational first aid and wilderness, and only a select few will make it to the "Wilderness Medical Response Team" Where you will be trained to "Wilderness First Responder".

All courses will be thought by Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council certified and registered instructors.

The corps can/will be used by Airsoft event organizers to cover the event with medical teams in the case of injury. In remote areas, our "Wilderness Medical Response Team" will carry equipment used for maintaining basic life support (BLS) until definitive care can be provided.

We are recruiting at this moment in time for member who would be interested. Training has not yet begun and may be a few weeks/months before the first team is trained.
    If you would like to join or learn more, contact us at office.iamc@gmail.com
    joining the team is free, and as much of the training as we can make to be, will also be free for full serious members.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Sounds interesting, so is this like an order of malta for the airsoft market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iamc

Kind of. Its basically THE medical team JUST for airsoft events in ireland. I guess basically just like the order of malta.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This sounds like a commercial operation, commercial posters have to be cleared with the mods ahead of posting. Sends us a PM with a more detail of what your about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Strictly speaking this should be in the teams thread but its significantly differant to warrent some special consideration for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Very interested, mail sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Interesting! Would love to help as much as possible. Email sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

Is there any cost for doing the first aid and wilderness training or is it free like joining the team?

We hope to have as much of the training free, or as cheap as it can be. We do have internal instructors who can teach some of the courses which will be free, but some will have to be outscoursed (through Contacts).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

will you be able to offer the training to people belonging teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

is this training certified and upon completion does it come with a recognised certificate?

• Advertisement

Yes the training is fully certified, which can be used in an external basis as they are nationally recognised. Some of the training is casual and does not carry certification. Every member will be trained to Occupational First Aid level, and there are more advanced training available for select few. You can still be a member of another team, as long as the weekly training does not overlap. We are looking at Saturdays to train. Please E-mail us for mor info.

office.iamc@gmail.com

when you say weekly training, do you mean the first aid or the airsoft side of things?

offering first aid courses to all teams would be a good idea and im shore the IAA would be interested in helping with that one

First Aid training for all teams is just not possible. The time money and rescorses needed would be huge. We are working along side the Health and Safety Dept in the IAA. Weekly training will mostly be the medical side of thigs for the first while. We have a member from the reserves who will be training the tactical airsoft side of things too. Fundamentally we are an airsoft team, but we are also THE medical team.

IAMC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Hmmmmm.

i don;t mean you just do it for them :) i mean that it would be a great idea for anyone from any team to be able to approach you about taking part in the first aid courses, of course this will more than likely cost the person but for a team/club/site it could be a subsidized activity

from reading your comments you want to form a team complete the first aid training and the hire yourself out to sites and events to cover these sites/events at times, i may have got this wrong correct me if i have.

IF this is the case then i can not see how you would be avaliable for all events and times that cover would be needed, what if a team would like to go to a small event in the uk or an event is being run in kerry i can not see your team being able to cork the even necessarily unless expensive where payed for other wise it could get very expensive simply in terms of travel.

To me its far more practical to offer training to members of other teams, even if it was every 2 months or something, we have members who have complete there occupational first aid as we have to have this as a base line to cover insurance criteria, but I'm aware that a number of people would like to take this to the next level.

Sorry if i read to much into the situation i just thought you had a great resource avaliable to you and an opportunity to plug a gap that is out there.

We may very well look at providing the training for external team members, but at the moment it is an internal operation.
    As i'm sure you understand, the team is still in its very early stages and therefore we are limited at the moment. We will in the future be able to accomidate the team in further locations around Ireland, but for the moment we are going to be keeping it within a smaller area. We have been offered a vehicle which we might take and use for transport of the team. The events we can't cover will have to be given to paid organizations, for the larger events. But we hope to have a team which will be fairly flexable to be dispached to an event. Of course there will be times when we cant. However, the event organizers can alway check with us.

The fundamental reason for the team, is because it is easier and cheaper to have a team, rather than continuasly train various people from various teams. As our team has contacts and internal people, we can train a smaller group of people cheeper.

hope this helps.

IAMC

Questions if I may?

I hate to ask, I really do, its a difficult question to ask politely but as of yet nobody here has asked it, as to the question of Insurance?... Do you have any? Also what are the qualifications of the Instuctors involved?

We are in the process of obtaining the relevent insurances. We are following the guides of the good samaratin Bill 2005 and the moment.

Our instructors are all external regestered instructors and have many years experience. We have PHECC regestered Occupation FA instructors, Order of Malta instructors, EMT instructors and many more. Our core team is made of professional medical personel, however they are not representing any organization while on duty with us.

Hope this answers your quieries.

IAMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Email sent

Just so people are clear. The IAMC is not a team, however we will require its members to attend weekly training and meetings. We do allow members to join us as well as another team, but training with us is gradual to ensure no one leaves once they have their training.
    We are basicaly the 'medical service', if thats what you want to call it, for airsoft in ireland. the corps is voluntery so its more like the order of malta of airsoft.

We do hope to have our website up and running very soon, however the server to which it is being put up on is malfunctioning at the moment and we have to wait for it to be fixed.

IAMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

iamc wrote: »
    Perfectly reasonable question. As we are not an 'Organization', nor are we paid, we are not governed by the state law that requires insurance. It runs just like any team. All our members will be covered by the 'Good Samaratin Act' as the members are not paid, nore is the corps. In the near future, we will be regestered with the Pre-Hospital Care Council, as an organization and things will change then, but for now it is not needed.

Our instructors are all external regestered instructors and have many years experience. We have PHECC regestered Occupation FA instructors, Order of Malta instructors, EMT instructors and many more. Our core team is made of professional medical personel, however they are not representing any organization while on duty with us.

Hope this answers your quieries.

IAMC

Afraid no good samaritan act is in place here in Ireland, liability insurance is something you should really look at for your team and its members, as no matter how and when you treat someone you are potentially liable (granted you work withing your scope of care and your scope of practice you should be ok, but better safe than sorry)

Id be interested, im a PHECC EFR but for the moment im going to sit on the sidelines and see how it pans out for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Afraid no good samaritan act is in place here in Ireland, liability insurance is something you should really look at for your team and its members, as no matter how and when you treat someone you are potentially liable (granted you work withing your scope of care and your scope of practice you should be ok, but better safe than sorry)

Id be interested, im a PHECC EFR but for the moment im going to sit on the sidelines and see how it pans out for a bit

I'm afraid hes right... the amateur volunteer medic is in serious danger of legal action should something go wrong.

I'm a trained Combat Medical Technician, and i broke someone's ribs once performing cpr... yes, i saved thier life, and they sued me... thankfully the army took it on and slapped them rather hard for thier trouble...

It may seem a noble cause, but quite honestly, legally cover yourselves upto the eyeballs... im afraid the world just isnt this nice.

I will put this plain, and simple for everyone. We are getting insured. Both with professional indemnity and public liability. Until then, we will be training and not doing duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Actually anyone can get sued, unfortunate in this claims culture... but a bystander trained in cpr attempting it is more liable than a professional.
    As for identifying... I think you will find 'oh **** erm i know cpr?' doesnt carry as much weight as 'excuse me im an army medic' in the being allowed to help someone stakes.
    By the way... you do realise sites and ergo, events, have to have on site medical personel, (whatever level) to aquire insurance?

why are you trying to fill a full niche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

All im going to say is point link the Irish good samaritan act to me please, all throughout my training i was informed by my trainers (omac, dfb and phecc people) that there was no such act in place here.

Im just saying cover your arse, we live in a claim culture as your probably know, ive no objections to the idea an when all is in place, insurance and phecc accreditation ill have no hesitation in joining.

Just to inform everyone, the first team meeting will be this weekend in Bray, Co. Wicklow. Nothing formal, social gathering for the team to ask questions, get to know everyone and just chill. We are currently looking at either Saturday afternoon, or Friday Evening.
    Please give us feedback on when would be best, and if you can attend. Please contact Via e-mail

office.iamc@gmail.com

EDIT: Removed info to send in email.

I would like to inform everyone today about the mixup regarding the Good Samaratin Act. I was on to the director of the group, and he told me exactly what the facts are. There is a good samaratin Bill 2005. The director has asked me to appologise for my mixup and he will deal with any quieries in the future. Please pass on any quieries to office.iamc@gmail.com

Cpl.Dillan.
    IAMC

• Advertisement

Having just re-certified, my instructor informed me that if we give aid or assistance within our training and to the best of our ability and do not make the casualty worse then the law will side with us.

Yes, you have to be careful. I for one have not and will not let the threat of a lawsuit stop me from rendering assistance if it is required. But that is just me.

The only legal obligation you really have is once you start treating you cannot leave the casualty until they are passed over to a similarly qualified or higher qualified person i.e. EMT, Paramedic, Doctor, Nurse etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement