Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a drink

Options
  • 18-06-2009 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

anyboo i'm 18 now a week and im goin to the pub drinking. i've had bulmers before, just tastes like cidona really, hate heineken altogether! thats all ive tried, oh and bud-YUCK! just wondering wat would you advise me to drink, whats strong, light, sweet etc. pints wise now
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

cearrbach wrote: »
    anyboo i'm 18 now a week and im goin to the pub drinking. i've had bulmers before, just tastes like cidona really, hate heineken altogether! thats all ive tried, oh and bud-YUCK! just wondering wat would you advise me to drink, whats strong, light, sweet etc. pints wise now

A lot of people your age drink erdinger. Its a German wheat-beer. Not mad for it myself but a lot of my mates seem to like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

try snakebite! Its a mixture of cider, beer and ribena! Tastes like sugar but tis alcohol! Really easy to drink too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Jameson & red! :p

NYOM NYOM NYOM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There's nothing like a good Guinness, but I reckon it's a bit of an acquired taste.

I usually look for one of Staropramen, Warsteiner or Budvar, depending on where I am. If none of the above is available, or the Guinness is decent, I'll go for the black stuff. Becks is also decent compared to the alternatives. Leffe has a kick to it, but is tasty and worth a try on the rare occasions it's available.

Spirit-wise, I'd usually be a Jemmy man, but I'm known to have the odd Capt. Morgan's or Havana Club with a splash of coke. The most common vodka in pubs (Smirnoff, Huzzar) is sh1te, avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Are you male or female? I'm guessing you might be male since you tried Heineken and Bud first. Don't worry if you don't take to beer straight away, it can take a while to acquire the taste. Same goes for Guinness.

The nice drinks are all the alcopops (WKD, Bacardi Breezer, Smirnoff Ice etc.) but they are pricey and might not suit an 18 yo male's image. Other than that, try Kopparberg. It's cider that comes in apple, mixed berry and pear flavour. It's very sweet and very drinkable, loads of young guys and girls drink it. I'd recommend the pear or mixed berry one.

If you do feel like trying more beer, my favourites are Spaten or Hoffbrau, they can be hard to come by though. Erdinger is nice too.

Happy drinking =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭jacool

I'm going to sound really old now, but leave the spirits for a year or two - they banjax your stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jacool wrote: »
    I'm going to sound really old now, but leave the spirits for a year or two - they banjax your stomach
    If you don't dilute them to the same degree as your beer or cider it might. And unfortunately with the extortionate prices in pubs many people refuse to dilute them adequately, and so give spirits a "bad name" for several reasons. I would favour spirits over beer for health reasons, but it would costs a fortune to head out for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Try Tiger beer its in a pint bottle very nice beer, easy to drink too kinda expensive tho its my favourite beer when im not skint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

As i said when this was posted in AH

BUCKFAST

/thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

just wondering wat would you advise me to drink, whats strong, light, sweet etc. pints wise now
    I'll agree with you on the bud, its pure piss tbh...i only took it up myself in Feb and so far have liked Tiger, Corona and Miller. Not much of a drinker and still checking beers out but from what i've heard most American beers aint worth your money, stick to European or Asian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Galway hooker for the win. Beer should have a taste.

kenmc wrote: »

But does it have to be a horrible taste!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

But does it have to be a horrible taste!!

I take it you don't like hops then...

Galway Hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

kenmc wrote: »

+1 on that. Not a bad brew at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I'd recommend a Belgian beer like Leffe for ya-slightly sweet but very nice
    For spirits I'd say Havana Club white rum with Sprite and wedge of lime

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Gin and tonic with a splash of lime .. light and refreshing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cearrbach

all them drinks you've mentioned, are they available in pubs or just off licenses?

Innis and Gunn is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kingram

Try a Smithwicks, there is a reason it has survived since 1710, oldest brewery in ireland, great value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

all them drinks you've mentioned, are they available in pubs or just off licenses?
    I think the only one listed which is NOT available in the offlicences is Galway Hooker. All the rest are available in any decent pub or offlicence, Hooker only in selected pubs around the country - Website lists the pubs.
    kingram wrote: »
    Try a Smithwicks, there is a reason it has survived since 1710, oldest brewery in ireland, great value
    It's fairly flavorless though. Try Porterhouse Red, Castle/Rebel/Writers Red, Rusty Red or OHaras Red for similar styles but with more flavour.

Advertisement