Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Architecture Awards 2009 - Vote Thomond Park

Options
  • 18-06-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Thomond Park is shortlisted for the Public Choice Award and you can vote for your choice (be it Thomond Park or not) at http://www.irisharchitectureawards.ie/2009/. It would be nice if Thomond Park did win, so lets get voting!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are some awful looking examples on that shortlist, although I must say that the Wexford Opera House looks very well. Victoria square is another that I like, having been inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Lads, I know we are all proud of rugby in this city and Thomond Park, but in all honesty, what is so architecturally significant about it to merit this award. I have voted for Victoria Hall in Belfast as I consider it to be unique in an Irish sense and I find its look intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

i know what you mean..Victoria Hall and the Wexford opera house are arechitecturally great... BUT realistically when has merit EVER had anything to do with winning awards? :)

Vote local

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jmccoy wrote: »
    Lads, I know we are all proud of rugby in this city and Thomond Park, but in all honesty, what is so architecturally significant about it to merit this award. I have voted for Victoria Hall in Belfast as I consider it to be unique in an Irish sense and I find its look intriguing.
    Agreed, I'm proud of Thomond Park but the lighthouse cinema or the wexford opera house are far more worthy of the prize.

vkid wrote: »
    i know what you mean..Victoria Hall and the Wexford opera house are arechitecturally great... BUT realistically when has merit EVER had anything to do with winning awards? :)

Vote local

So don't vote for whichever you think is the best, vote local even if you think it is not the best?

Sounds like a speech on one of those god awful talent (less) shows that RTE churn out when copying what they see on other channels.

Wexford Opera House got my vote as it is far more impressive when there in person than I found Thomond Park to be, and like Victoria Square, it caused me to stop and see it as something different.

Thomond park does not have that effect on me after being in famous stadiums in other countries that blow the socks off of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

jmccoy wrote: »

Except its British and not Irish :eek::eek::eek:

Only joking!

Victoria Square is amazing and it Christmas time it looks spectacular.

I think Thomond is an amazing structure and well deserving of recognition. The only thing I dont like is the yellow and black seats dotted around the place, I dont see the purpose and its not uniform. Was this an attempt at modern art? It might just work as...

solice wrote: »

Only joking!

I think Thomond is an amazing structure and well deserving of recognition. The only thing I dont like is the yellow and black seats dotted around the place, I dont see the purpose and its not uniform. Was this an attempt at modern art? It might just work as...

I have to agree. I was up there last December and the place looked amazing. I was back there again last month and it still looks amazing, so well laid out, full of good shops and facilities and very interesting on the eye. I love the pub they have inside there too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

solice wrote: »

Only joking!

The yellow and navy seats creates an illusion of capacity when the place isn't full for an event. I think it looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

It won!!!
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limericks-Thomond-Park-wins-architecture.5388551.jp

Thanks to all those who voted for Thomond Park. It was announced on Morning Ireland that it was a clear winner. This is positive news for Limerick, we need all the help we can get. I hope we can have more news like this and less useless threads like "Lets Slag Off Limerick". People coming into this City for the first time do read things like this and if we don't accentuate every positive virtue that this City has, we will constantly be behind Dublin, Cork etc and moaners will be complaining about it here.

Advertisement