Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points dropping in courses 09?

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

anybody have any opinions on this?

I was thinking it will drop by maybe 20-30 points this year as there isnt much work out there for those wishing to be solicitors and barristers.....Furthermore, with the introduction of two new law courses(international and clinical) the competition for places will drop, hence a further points drop... anyone have any thoughts on this? Agree, Disagree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Agree. However this unmitigated disaster will set more and more clowns on a path towards the legal profession. Oh dear god, when will they ever learn.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

20-30 is a bit optimistic . . . . It'll probably be somewhere in the region of 0-15 . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

anyone eles have that down on their CAO??

I think the points might go up:rolleyes:
    what do other people think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

Everyone says it's going to go up significantly this year. Do you think this is true? I did the leaving last year, reapplied to the CAO again this year, and have the points, it wouldn't go well over 500, would it?

I'd say it will be about 490/500 maybe go to 505.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

One of the heads in Law Clinical is a passed pupil of my school (passed school now, thats weird to say lol). Anyway she said she didnt expect much of a drop even with the two new courses, and overall theres only a 2% drop in applications for law so i wouldnt expect a drop of more than 5-10 points, if any. Thinking about moving it up my CAO, as i have all 3 as 3,4 and 5, but Limerick's Law Plus is an attractive prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

****ing saffy your everywhere.

yeah, Mary I, number 1, don't think i'll get it, but sure, i've been told points might be going down too, so can't make any guesses, How'd you think you'll get on? if I get in, ill be the last one in the door tbh.. 380-390 area

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    ****ing saffy your everywhere.

yeah, Mary I, number 1, don't think i'll get it, but sure, i've been told points might be going down too, so can't make any guesses, How'd you think you'll get on? if I get in, ill be the last one in the door tbh.. 380-390 area

haha. sorry lol. but its not like I have much posts:p

I hope I'll get it as I expect about 410 but I dunno.
    Theres nothing eles on my CAO that I actually want to do so I better get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

As regards the law clinical and international, I don't think they are creating anymore places, just taking places from the regular law! Im not certain about this, I think I heard it at UCCs open day. Correct me if Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Does anybody think the points for Communication Studies on DCU will drop by, say, 200 points? aint no jobs in that there meedia after all...

Maybe I'll be the only one there. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

I heard some teacher say some points will be going up in 50's!!
    There has been a bigger application to the CAO this year than ever so I'd say most courses will go up in points.. except architecture that is supposedly down 21%:).. I want arts anyway in UCC so I cant see myself not getting that!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Dante09 wrote: »
    Agree. However this unmitigated disaster will set more and more clowns on a path towards the legal profession. Oh dear god, when will they ever learn.:confused:

Apparently the setting up of this NAMA crowd has the legal profession rubbing their hands! Its all legal stuff involved and theres plenty of it for everyone!
    Skally-wag wrote: »
    Everyone says it's going to go up significantly this year. Do you think this is true? I did the leaving last year, reapplied to the CAO again this year, and have the points, it wouldn't go well over 500, would it?

I was told at the beginning of the year that everyone is going to be jumping into the teaching wagon because of the recession. But now people are saying the opposite. Theres going to be a load of newly qualified teachers drawing the dole/emigrating because there has been severe cutbacks in education. Mary I have stopped their graduate diploma in education because of the lack of jobs available.

But it is all speculation. Nobody knows for sure how it will pan out. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Im just hoping TCD Science remains still or drops slightly. Not too big a jump please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

what does everyone think about the position of foreign language courses? Up or down? I hope to god they at least stay the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I was looking over careersportal.ie recently trying to find back-up courses for my CAO application. On the right hand side of a particular course description on the website there is usually a history given of the points for that course in the past, for example from 1999 to 2008, depending on the age of the course itself of course. Then suddenly I wondered, is there a relationship between CAO points and the economic circumstances of the country. Is it possible that because of the recession at the moment the demand for certain courses might drop (and thus the CAO points for that course would drop too) when people see the lack of employment in the particular sector the course deals with.

Lets take construction, for example, as far as I know there has been a massive drop in employment in this sector. Well, what type of courses in university might deal with construction, maybe architecture or engineering. Leaving cert students might consider trying another course instead because of the lack of employment in that sector. This means lack of demand and as a result of the way the CAO works, the CAO points might drop.

Well what does this all has to do with CAO points records on careerportal.ie. We might be able to observe from this if there is a direct relationship between CAO points and economic circumstances in the past. Let's take the common entry into engineering in Trinity as an example (TR032). The CAO points are given for this course on the website between 1997 and 2008. The highest points in that eleven year period were between 2003 and 2005. As far as I know this was the height of the construction boom. The demand was high therefore the CAO points were high because people could avail of jobs easier. Again public perception is key here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

With regards to Law, TCD have two new law courses, DCU has a new one, and NUI Maynooth just added law and business to their Arts course. There's looooads of new law courses, and I really, really hope this forces the points down. That, and the fact there's been a decrease in applicants for law in general...

No idea what we're all gonna do once we've got our degree but meh, we'll cross that when we come to it, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

hey
    I know of one course that took a big fall in points last year
    computer & electronic systems in GMIT
    was 400 in 07 but in 08 fell to 145 because they couldnt fill the coursebiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Cian92 wrote: »
    As regards the law clinical and international, I don't think they are creating anymore places, just taking places from the regular law! Im not certain about this, I think I heard it at UCCs open day. Correct me if Im wrong.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, there's 10 places or so for each. The college won't create 20 new places - they'll just set aside 20 ones that would have been straight BCL. If anything, I'd say the points for BCLC and BCLInt will be slightly higher than pure BCL. (But BCL starts from an eminently attainable amount - generally 500, so you might have to get about 520ish, which certainly isn't insurmountable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I wonder if things like Arts will drop? the only reason i can imagine they would is coz more people would be applying to specified courses to get into a specified career easier durin the recession.
    I'd be fine if they stayed the same too though.

Does anyone know whether the amount of college applications have increased this year or not? I'd love it if someone could link me to statistics(if there are any)about how much of an increase there is this year since last year in college appliations/specified courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Law Clinical and international only have about 15-16 places between them, so probably wont change the points hugely. I got into Clinical this year, and had to do a big interview process- much easier for you guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Jade182 wrote: »
    I'd love it if someone could link me to statistics(if there are any

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

Anybody else think that theyve heard an awful lot of people applying for Law Plus in UL...............points rise on the horizon there and maybe a drop in points in other law courses??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Does anyone know if there are figures for the combined totals of places available in each category in those CAO Stats.? Eg. Sciences/Applied Sciences

mikemac wrote: »
    I predict points for law courses will drop hugely!

Sure you don't even need a law degree to work in the area.
    You can do any degree and then do your FE-1's or Kings Inn course part-time.

Law was a prestigous occupation, it ain't anymore..........and that's a good thing

First para: I'd love to see exactly what evidence you can provide for that, other than meaningless speculation. From what you posted below, it sounds like you don't know an awful lot about the subject.

Second para: Yeah...right. Trust me, very few people without law degrees actually make it as solicitors, and few to none make it as barristers. If people with commerce degrees/politics degrees etc were flooding the industry, there would be no point in offering law degrees. But colleges still do. Take for example two people going for a traineeship. One has an LLB (or BCL) and one has a BComm. Who's going to get the job? Realistically (making allowance for exceptional circumstances), it's going to be the LLBer.

Third para: Make I ask why?

For God's sake, people like you need to grow up and stop trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ALincoln wrote: »
    If people with commerce degrees/politics degrees etc were flooding the industry, there would be no point in offering law degrees. But colleges still do. Take for example two people going for a traineeship. One has an LLB (or BCL) and one has a BComm. Who's going to get the job? Realistically (making allowance for exceptional circumstances), it's going to be the LLBer.

But the guy with the LLB and the guy with the BA going for the same traineeship who have both done the FE-1s will both be in with the same chance of getting the traineeship based on their academic qualifications because all that matters is the FE-1s to the firm. The degree doesn't matter diddly-squat. That's why you don't even need a degree now to become a solicitor/barrister. You can just do the prelims before the FE-1s.

The only advantage a law degree gives you is that you have covered a lot of material for the FE-1s even though you will have to update some of your knowledge depending on legislation.

I'd prefer a guy with a wider knowledge base rather than a focus on law. I know who I'd give the job to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 applewhite

First para: I'd love to see exactly what evidence you can provide for that, other than meaningless speculation. From what you posted below, it sounds like you don't know an awful lot about the subject.

Second para: Yeah...right. Trust me, very few people without law degrees actually make it as solicitors, and few to none make it as barristers. If people with commerce degrees/politics degrees etc were flooding the industry, there would be no point in offering law degrees. But colleges still do. Take for example two people going for a traineeship. One has an LLB (or BCL) and one has a BComm. Who's going to get the job? Realistically (making allowance for exceptional circumstances), it's going to be the LLBer.

Third para: Make I ask why?

For God's sake, people like you need to grow up and stop trolling.

Eh, my sister is a lawyer earning the big bucks and she doesn't even have a law degree.She has a 2.1 in Business from Ul and all her fe-1 exams passed. She was one of 4 chosen out of 14 apprentices in her law firm to be kept on in permanent positions. Your argument has no merit I'm afraid.

applewhite wrote: »
    Eh, my sister is a lawyer earning the big bucks and she doesn't even have a law degree.She has a 2.1 in Business from Ul and all her fe-1 exams passed. She was one of 4 chosen out of 14 apprentices in her law firm to be kept on in permanent positions. Your argument has no merit I'm afraid.

Even if that is true, it's an insolated example. Statistics are overwhelmingly against non law graduates. Argument by anecdote is meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Argument by anecdote is meaningless.

Seconded.

Advertisement