Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

varnish for out door timber decking

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Any suggestions for nonslip varnish for decking?
    Have been told that the decking becomes very slippery after year or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey,

im just about to clean my decking and will be putting on some sort of stain/oil, sealant etc but i dont think i would use varnish ? is it a possibility?

i think one of the sadolin range products will be going on mine. not looking forward to cleaning it, but hopefully, after its all finished, itll be as good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Best to oil the decking, I have seen a very good oil called Colortrend decking oil.
    Not cheap but it looks very good once it is applied.
    The main problem with slippery decks is when the deck gets wet and algae starts to grow on it, stopping the water from penetrating the deck is a start.
    Once the deck is sealed from water penetrating it is a simple job to scrub and treat it if it starts to get slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I have seen a painter I know mixing in sand and making it non slip it might be worth trying on a small area first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 garyxxx

Thanks for the replies..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

spent about 2 hours cleaning the deck last night. it was in bits!!! found a really old tin of deck bright from richard burbridge in the local harware shop for 3.50 ;) , compared to 20 odd for a 5l can, good savings there. its a powder oxygenating cleaner, mixed in water, rubbed in on with a good stiff deck brush, left for 10 mins and then pressure washed the whole fooken lot, every single sq. inch......nightmare.

but...

by jeez lads and lassies, its like new!!! fooken delighted, when i came in this morning to see it all dry, my god, well pleased. a lot of work but worth it. i can see the knots again and the grain. it was manky :eek:

can wait now to treat it and have all the decking area looking the same aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

wreckless wrote: »
    can wait now to treat it and have all the decking area looking the same aswell.

What did you do to your decking after that, did you paint it or use decking oil or something else? I've just cleaned mine but I need to paint it next and don't know what to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rayzor187

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    What did you do to your decking after that, did you paint it or use decking oil or something else? I've just cleaned mine but I need to paint it next and don't know what to use.

Don't use varnish. UV will burn it off in no time at all and you'll have to do it again. Get a good decking oil instead. Use a 3in brush and don't go over the same plank twice because it'll appear very dark compared to one that didn't get a 2nd coat. :)

Advertisement