Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Samba Festival 2009

Options
  • 18-06-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Is anyone else repelled yet strangely drawn by the idea of crusties trying to samba? :confused:

This should be left to those who do it best. The rest of us should watch them IMO. Personally, I think the festival has declined since the halcyon days when the biggest drum in the world was at the festival, circa 1999...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

Samba is terriable and makes my ears bleed. I dont think anyone bar Phil Cunningham really cares for it anymore. Sheduling it the same weekend as Oxygen every year hasnt helped either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Didn't realise it was still going , I used to participate during the 'halcyon' days 95-99 or there abouts, was always a decent weekend.

Agreed putting it on now over oxygen weekend is a bit silly.

Even back when i was involved, I always felt the people involved in it got more out of it then Joe Public. Still any extra visitors into the town is always a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lynnog81

I love the idea of the samba festival but have been 3 years now and it has been a dissapointment i have to say. Stand on west street watch the parade which lasts about 10 minutes then go to a pub in a hope of a bit of life about the place.

First year I went to mcphails after the parade and it was just like any other normal day, the bands where not on until 8 that night and the parade is over about 4ish id day. second year we went into boroccos, no evidence of any samba like activity going on here. last year we went to D Hotel, there was a group who where after been in the parade just playing music amongst themselves and it actually felt like we shouldnt have even been there.

I reckon if it was in a big green area with a big stage where all bands could play and people could have a picnic/drink whatever it would be much better.

I know its always weather permitting though which can be a bummer in this country!

Anyway long live the Samba Festival, just a few improvements could be made maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

I can't comment as I have never been to the one in town - the campaign never makes enough noise to attract my attention.

However, I do agree, we need more events in Drogheda - with or without attracting people from outside.

Annual Graffiti artist thing is cool and all, how about something that's more mainstream - may with River Boyne involved (just thinking out loud here) like an upstream canoeing challenge may be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I think it's a down right waste after all the work they did to improve in dominic's park not to use it for such events as this. But parking is not exactly great around there.

I remember in 'my day' in the car park at the back of the shopping center before the carpark was built there was a stage on the sunday of the samba fest albeit a trailer :D but still there was a full afternoon of music going on. There are a few other places that would be perfect for this though such as the market area there or the abbey car park.

Also if memory serves , wasnt there at one point a concert on the quay there at the sound shop / dole office ? I think the rev's may have played at it. That was a good afternoon. More like this please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Blarggggh wrote: »
    Samba is terriable and makes my ears bleed. I dont think anyone bar Phil Cunningham really cares for it anymore. Sheduling it the same weekend as Oxygen every year hasnt helped either

See thats the attitude that has the festival on its knees , as well as some truly inept organising from the commitee .I have been playing music in this town for neraly 15 years and have played at loads of samba festivals .The public perception of the fest is strange to say the least .It gets no support from local publicans or the arts funding bodies .Ten years the fest was massive and was on the verge of being one the biggest festivals in the country .Guinness sponserd it one year and it was a massive success ,mcphails said the sold more drink in that one wkend then any other single wkend in its past .The place was rammed from fri to sun .Guinness pulled out saying it was to " exotic for our image " wtf is that supposed to mean ? As for the music making your ears bleed :rolleyes: , therte are tons of different styles of music played within the samba fest .Samba is from brazil and uses guitars , percussion , vocals etc .I presume what makes your ears bleed is the community drumming groups on the street , fair enough thats not for everyone . Lots of other styles this year also .BIKO are a local group from Drogheda playing music from all oveer the world , south african , latin ,eastern european etc ,they are playing in mcphails at 7 on sat evening and are well worth a watch . Mangeira are a latin/salsa group with a great brass section playing in the d hotel later on sat night .Cachimbo are another great band playing in bru at the end of festival party on sun nite cuban style percussion with mandolin , bass , sax , guitar and vocals .Wont make your ears bleed .you might even enjoy yourself :D

Advertisement