Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from Benefit to Allowance

Options
  • 18-06-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

My Jobseekers Benefit will run out in 2 months so I have already handed in all the paper work for Jobseekers Allowance thinking I would have it sorted in time to change over if i comply. But when i handed it all in she said my application will be assessed when my dole runs out. So does that mean they wont even look at it until my dole runs out and then i have to wait weeks before i hear anything about the allowance?? Therefore I will have a period of no money coming in at all??? :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You're being premature, are you trying to make a career out of being on the dole? You may get employment in the next two months - plus there is a backlog and you're supposed to wait to get a letter stating that your credits will run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

snubbleste wrote: »
    You're being premature, are you trying to make a career out of being on the dole? You may get employment in the next two months - plus there is a backlog and you're supposed to wait to get a letter stating that your credits will run out.

Exactly - you may get a job before that.....

You can go to the CWO while you are waiting on the payment and they will give you a supplement payment, the amount depending on your circumstances. If you get this payment from the CWO you wont get your JSA backdated as you would be already lifting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

well if i get employment before that then great i will tell them that and it wont go ahead but no harm in putting stuff forward seeing as i have been out of work for 10 months already. I dont think there is any harm in trying to cover my ass. I was going to wait until i got a letter but just mentioned it while in dole office last week and they handed me the forms so i wasnt going to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

how do you make a career out of €204 per week??? Don't be daft.

I was in the same position- my credits ran out, my dole was stopped and I went back into the jobs mill, I was doing odd-jobs but then things turned sour. I did not ask for Allowance, did not apply. So I waited 1 year, and when the situation turned sufficiently bad I went back to Allowance.

It doesnt matter which route you take, they are both legit.

Advertisement