Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cbradio power supply

Options
  • 18-06-2009 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

anyone any idea why my power supply for my midland went on fire
    brought it back to maplin and they checked it and said it was still working fine
    dont really wanna chance it thought.
    or anyone know where i can get a cheap cb thatl go in my car:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The power supply went on fire yet Maplin say it's ok? Did you actually see smoke coming from the unit? The power transistors on the back of those can get very hot, especially if a proper heatsink is not used - are you sure it wasn't touching off something else that it might have burned (a cable or something)?

This is an example of the component I'm talking about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2N3055

Before you try to use the supply again, make sure that all the leads are secure (the AC power cable in as well as the 12V DC out), make sure there are no shorts (red wire touching black or the case of the radio) and make sure you check the voltage out with a voltmeter before hooking it up to a radio. Should read no more than around 14V DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

i tried one marco polo radio in it and it was grand but i tried a midland in it cause i think the marco polo was tuned differently, was just pickin up germans on it. just as i plugged in the midland there was smoke and a little flame. hopefully it was just something i rested it on.
    cheers for the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have you got the correct power supply to run the radio off? For a basic 40 channel CB with around 4W RF power output, you'll need a 12V (although they are usually 13.8V) DC power supply capable of providing 3 to 5 amps. You need more current (amps) for more powerful radios.

Hearing Germans on the radio does not mean there's something wrong with it, you are hearing foreign stations via skip. I'd keep the Midland away from the power supply anyway, it sounds like that radio is the problem. Was it ever hooked up the wrong way around i.e. + lead to - terminal and vice versa?

Also make sure your antenna is properly connected and tuned before transmitting, otherwise you risk damage to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, last week you would have heard easily Sweden, Germany, Italy. Rare occurance these days.

Weather rather than sunspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

If your radio is running high power, it can sometimes require alot of amps from the power supply. If your power supply is insufficient it can overheat or sometimes blow. I recommend a Watson Power-Mite-NF which are cheap and are also more than sufficient for 100w power output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

anyone any idea why my power supply for my midland went on fire
    brought it back to maplin and they checked it and said it was still working fine
    dont really wanna chance it thought.
    or anyone know where i can get a cheap cb thatl go in my car:)

Is this thread supposed to be some sort of joke?

How could something that goes on fire then be said to work fine?

especially after reading this
    i tried one marco polo radio in it and it was grand but i tried a midland in it cause i think the marco polo was tuned differently, was just pickin up germans on it. just as i plugged in the midland there was smoke and a little flame. hopefully it was just something i rested it on.
    cheers for the help

you're surely just winding people here up ?

I have heard nothing about Maplin selling any power supplies that are a fire hazard. If they were and this was discovered, they would have to do a recall of all that were sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

yep sure does sound a bit funny for sure different radios looking for radios
    power supply on fire me thinks you should learn about the radios first.

nope not jokin.
    started smoking and a bit of flame could be seen thru the ventilation holes.
    still works thoiugh. must have just heated the wire coat or something cause its been working ever since.
    plug it out when im not using it now though just in case.

i tried it again. sparks and a little flame and still works.
    not using it though. something is well weird with it

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

i tried it again. sparks and a little flame and still works.
    not using it though. something is well weird with it

I'm going to ask a silly question so excuse me if it sounds too direct.

The power supply is a 220-240 volt input ?

yes / no ?

• Advertisement

it is yeah, ive stopped using it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

it is yeah, ive stopped using it anyway

Assumption #1.
    The item was supplied as per regulation with a 3-pin plug on it.
    The 3-pin plug being the standard UK 220-240V PLUG.

Assumption #2.
    The plug mentioned in #1 has not been rewired or adjusted in anyway.

Assumption #3.
    The wall socket being used is wired correctly and has 220-240 volts on
    the live to neutral.

Assumption #4
    The earth lead of said wall socket is earthed.

Assumption #5.
    Nothing else flashes-sparks when plugged into the same wall socket.

Bring it back - with the receipt.

Tell them that it sparks etc when you plug it in and you're not happy.
    Ask for it to be repaired.
    When they say no...ask (ASK) for a replacement.

If they refuse ask for your money back.

If they refuse take the name of the person you're dealing with.
    Then ask for the manager.

Explain again.

Inform manager that you have just gone through the three steps
    1. asking for a repair
    2. asking for a replacement.
    3. asking for refund.

Inform manager that when you bought the item,
    you didn't expect that you would get flashes/sparks etc from it.
    Inform the manage that you can't use it because you're afraid of its
    behaviour.

Inform him that the item is not "fit for purpose" (recognised term)
    because of the flashes and sparks.

Take the managers name.

If you still dont get any satisfaction, write to their head office in England.

Your last port of call after all that is the small claims court.
    If you choose to go down that road, you must lodge the paperwork
    in the small claims court that deals with the area in which the shop
    is located -
    i.e. do not lodge a claim in the court in Tallaght if the shop is in Santry.

After that, cut the lead off it so nobody will use it again.
    Then use it as a door-stop or as a brick to stop your car from rolling back.

Advertisement