Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland or England

Options
  • 17-06-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I need advice people. I have been offered the h.dip in ireland and the PGCE in Oxford in England. The teaching council have only Okayed me for physics, I was hoping for maths aswell:mad:. So I know they need teachers in science in England so should I just do that course and cancel my H.Dip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't really understand what you're asking. Either course will qualify you to teach in Ireland or the UK. Your degree will only allow you to teach Physics in Ireland regardless of whether you do the HDip/PGCE. Is it a case that you will be allowed to teach maths as well in the UK and you're trying to decide where and what you want to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

If you do the PGCE and decide to return to Irelans this will mean that you will have to sit an exam on the history of the Irish Education system, and you will also have to pay in the region of 200euro for your qualification to be recognised here. That however, is subject to your PGCE course being on the Teaching Council's list of approved courses.

Have you checked that the college offering you the PGCE is recognised by the Teaching Council?

Your decision should depend on where you see yourself spending the majority of your teaching career

Advertisement