Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence category and Axils

Options
  • 17-06-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,

I have done research and all I find is, a B class Driving License allows you to drive up to 3500Kgs and 8 Passages.

But someone told me that I can only driver vehicles with two Axils.

And what exactly is twin axels?

Eg.
    When there is one axel at the back with 4 wheels on it?
    Or when there is two axels, and the amount of weels dosn't matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

As far as I know campers are exempt from licence regulations here. The rules you mention are for mini buses and other commercials.
    Twin axle means 2 axles on the rear
    Twin wheeled means 1 axle with 2 wheels on the rear
    so basically a car licence suffices for ALL motorhomes in Rep Ireland.
    Correct me if I'm wrong on the licence issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

According to EU rules, twin axles (them with the double tyres) and double axles where the distance between the hub of each axle is less than 1 meter count as one axle.

I would guess that this applies here too.

I'm not aware that there is a limitation on axles on a class B licence anyway, but I could be wrong there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Cool.

My van has 4 wheels on the back, attached to one axial (it is not yet registered as a camper. The GVW is 3500Kgs there are seats for 3 people including me. Can I drive it on a B Licence.

I have driven vans with 6 wheels and a GVW of 3500Kgs for years and have been stopped by the Gardie and the Italian Police no problems.

But this van looks like a truck. It's not a truck if you look closely you can see that it is a van.
    If you put a spoiler and alloys on a ford Fiester it doesn’t turn into a sports car. This is the same it’s a LT40 Van with Box Body. See attached image.

By the way the conversion is going well I will update later or tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Thanks, you posted while I was writing.

I have serached the officale websites regarding this issue and can't find any thing that says I can not drive this van.

If any one thinks differnt let me know.

Thanks again.

My (camper) van has four wheels on the back also and a GVW of 3.5 tons

• Advertisement

Sol_MB wrote: »
    I have serached the officale websites regarding this issue and can't find any thing that says I can not drive this van.

That's because there is nothing that says so :D ...you can definitely drive this van on your licence

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Hi All,
    I am a bit confused regarding this topic, I rang a well known HGV/truck driving school and asked what licence was need for driving a camper over 3,500kgs and they said a B licence is fine as long as its was always a camper (not modified/converted) and not imported.

But most forums seem to say that once the MTPLM is above 3500kg's that a C1 licence is needed (covers up to 7,500kg's)

I suspect that a C1 licence is required but does anybody here know for sure which is correct ? Thanks

vinniem wrote: »
    they said a B licence is fine as long as its was always a camper (not modified/converted) and not imported.

This being Ireland there may well be such an exemption ...but it would be the first I've heard of it.

Anywhere else (and 99.9% likely here too) you definitly need a C1 licence (or an old B licence that covers you up to 7.5 tonnes) to drive it.

It's also in your own interest to get some training/experience on a larger vehicle, as regardless of their weight, motorhomes are fairly bulky yokes and quite different to drive than a car.

Thanks, I think in the UK that if your licence was issued pre 1997 that you can drive on a B licence above 3500kg (I presume this only applies if lic issued in UK)

Hi All, now I am very confused!! Was happy enough needed a C licence (GVW 3850kg) so applied for C test, about to take lessons.. but found below link on another thread and see that my campervan fits into none of these catagories i.e. C or C1? Help please, what licence do i need??:)

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/representative-vehicles-for-driving-test/index.html

• Advertisement

That list of "representative vehicles" is very confusing as it lists weights that have nothing to do with the actual licence category weights.
    (B<3.5t C1< 7.5t C)

In your case, you could get away with a C1 licence, but I would recommend getting the full C anyway, as driving experience on a "real truck" can only be good later on for driving your motorhome.

Genreally speaking, licences work downwards ...once you got the biggest one, all smaller ones are included.

Thanks Peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickwor1111

Hi Lads , anything over 3500kgs you need a c1 or a c licence , regardless of how many wheels it has , b licence covers you up to 3500 kgs GVW , i have recently seen traders advertising RV s weighing in over 6000 kgs with " can be driven on a B licence " this is b******t , if you have an accidnet your insurance will not cover you , be careful !!!!!

i have recently seen traders advertising RV s weighing in over 6000 kgs with " can be driven on a B licence " this is b******t ,

Not entirely ...depends on how old your are :D

Some of us oldtimers would have B licences that go up to 7.5 tons :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This is the law guys.
    If you passed your car test before 1st January 1997 you will automatically have "Grandfather rights" to the following, in addition to your category B licence:-
    Category C1 which entitles you to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, towing a trailer up to 750kg, and
    Category B+E which entitles you to drive a car towing any trailer.

If you passed your car test after 1st January 1997 you are only entitled to:-
    Category B which only allows you to drive vehicles up 3.5 tonnes towing a trailer up to 750kg (but not exceeding a train weight of 3.5tonnes)

AND it's all down to weight, its got nothing to do with the type of vehicle or the number of wheels (the pictograms on the licence are only for demonstration purposes).
    Of course if there are more than eight passenger seats then a category D or D1 licence is required depending on the weight of the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

If you passed your car test before 1st January 1997 you will automatically have "Grandfather rights" to the following, in addition to your category B licence:-
    Category C1 which entitles you to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, towing a trailer up to 750kg, and
    Category B+E which entitles you to drive a car towing any trailer

Your saying you can get your licence ticked for C1, without doing test if you passed B licence before 1997.. is this correct? Can you post linky where it says that?

Hi Niloc1951, As per KoNit's post can you tell us where to find this info offically as I have seen this mentioned before, got my B licence in 1995 Rang local motor tax/ licence office in Clonmel before Chistmas and put this suggestion to the lady...her reply was there is no such thing, only way to get C1 or C is to do test in that cat. My camper is 3850kg so if this is true then great!!!!...although have C test next month anyway..ah well! Please let us know..Thanks

KoNiT wrote: »
    Your saying you can get your licence ticked for C1, without doing test if you passed B licence before 1997.. is this correct? Can you post linky where it says that?
    That's it, provide it hasn't been off your current licence long enough for it to have 'lapsed'. Check with your local road tax/licensing office.

Hello Niloc1951, you said that "this is the law" in a previous post, where is this documented? I can't find any referance to this in Ireland. This is definitely the case in the UK, but not ROI as far as I can see. I would really appreciate if you could put me onto something here..so can get c1 on my licence if I am entitled to it. Thanks Vinnie:)

vinniem wrote: »
    Hello Niloc1951, you said that "this is the law" in a previous post, where is this documented? I can't find any referance to this in Ireland. This is definitely the case in the UK, but not ROI as far as I can see. I would really appreciate if you could put me onto something here..so can get c1 on my licence if I am entitled to it. Thanks Vinnie:)

I've had C1 on all licences since the new licences came out in '97. I know I said 'it's the law' I personally can't find reference to it on an Irish site, it's what is termed a 'grandfather right' which means one is entitled not to loose what one had, or was legal, if new regulations are brought in.
    My most recent personal experience of this 'grandfather right' being applied is two friend of mine who noticed that the C1 was gone from their licence going into the local licence issuing office and getting the category restored to their licence without any difficulty.
    But, as I said, maybe if it has been off ones licence for over a certain period it might be considered lapsed - why not check with your local licensing office to see how you stand personally.
    Anecdotally, I have heard the if one hasn't noticed the category missing for over five years then it may not be restored as it will be considered as 'lapsed'.
    One must remember that when renewing ones driving licence the new licence will only have the categories which were ticked by the applicant on the renewal form, the 'system' does not appear to automatically bring what was in the expired licence forward on the the new licence.
    IMHO a lot of people lost their C1 because they overlooked to tick that box and only ticked the B box to renew their car licence.
    Up to recently one did not get back the expired licence so there was no way of checking the new against the old, I have been told that this has been changed and now the old licence is given back defaced, to help people to check it's correct against the old one.
    BTW depending on ones age a medical is required.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Just rang local licence office and told this was when car test was called C cat and before 1989?!?!? TBH I don't think the girl knew what she was on about and not very helpfull...told me to ring dept of transport!! Great service we pay for!:mad:

All, just to clear this up once and for all!! Have spoke directly with dept of transport today and the licence system changed Nov 1989, if you had done you car test before that time..only then can you automatically get C1 on you licence (medical required)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Mmmm..... If you got your licence in '87 (no test required) you also had a licence to drive a truck! Do grandfather rights apply here? Can't wait to tell my mum:)

Just passed my C cat test yesterday which was a major relief:):) Want to pass on the benifit from my experience..please anybody out there thinking of buying a camper be very carefull of the MTPLM (laden weight)...as from once this is over 3500kg's you need a C1/C cat licence(as per this thread) and don't listen to the seller as they will say B licence is fine!!! If you don't have a C Lic, believe me its costly enough and hassle to get, between lessons test fees etc so something else to consider. Also It's not the base vehicle laden weight that you have to look at but the convertors plate (under the bonnet) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Just to clear something up. You must have a "B" licence (new type) before you can apply for any other licence,there is no falling scale, only a climbing one. A "B" Licence covers you to drive any car or light commerical up to 3.5 tonnes, after that you need a higher grade licence and a medical cert........................b

Re-Licence.
    S.I.no.377/1979 (licensing of drivers) (Amendment) regulations,1979.

The only people able to carry license categories forward are those who had a license before 1979, the youngest will be in their early sixties and will need a medical. The above ruling can be checked on the statutes for 1979.......................b :D

boyoh wrote: »
    Re-Licence.

The only people able to carry license categories forward are those who had a license before 1979, the youngest will be in their early sixties and will need a medical. The above ruling can be checked on the statutes for 1979.......................b :D

I think the sums are a bit wrong, if passed test at age 18 in 1978, that's 32 years ago, would be age 50 now..

Hands up on the calculations, but the law changed in 1979.....b :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Re-Licence.

What do you mean by carry license categories forward?

• Advertisement

Hands up on the calculations, but the law changed in 1979.....b :eek:
    I know, I know, but I was only giving an example of someone who might have passed their test just before the law changed to illustrate that, if you passed your test when about 18 years of age and you are now in the region of 50 years of age you might be eligible to scrape under the bar.:)

Advertisement