Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Dungarvan (or Waterford)

Options
  • 17-06-2009 7:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I will be shortly driving to Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. I'm wondering what is the best way to get there, driving from Dublin. For the sake of ease, assume that I am starting my journey at the Red Cow Roundabout at the M50/N7 interchange.

According to Google Maps, there are 2 viable routes.
    1.) M7 to Portlaoise, turn off on N8/M8 heading near Thurles, Cashel, Caher and then ducking across country to Dungarvan. Link
    2.) M7 as far as Newbridge, turn off on N9/M9, heading towards Carlow, Gowran, Thomastown, Carrick-on-Suir, Dungarvan. Link

I'm thinking that despite Google Maps picking 1 as the best route, I think that 2 is a better way.
    What do you think? If using route 2, would it better going to Dungarvan via Carrick-on-Suir or Waterford city?

Also, are there any good places to eat along the way from Dublin - Dungarvan, ideally around a half-way point? It would be great if there was also a place near a good restaurant to pay the M50 toll.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I would go as follows:

M7 - M9/N9 - N10 to Kilkenny
    Then N76 towards Clonmel
    Turn off onto R696 towards Carrick
    R676 towards Dungarvan (joins N25 at Lemybrien)

I'd only go via Thomastown if it's rush hour, since KK can be a bit of a bottleneck. The roads in that area are really crap. No idea about the Thurles route, and I'd avoid Waterford city, since the approach from the north plus the streets in the city centre are busy pretty much all day long.

A good spot to eat (apparently - I've never eaten there myself) is Paddy's country pub between Paulstown and KK on the N10.

The roads aren't all that bad. The N76 between KK and Callan is a bad stretch, as is almost all the R696 - although that's only a few miles.

After Carrick, the drive is very very nice, since you come around the Comeraghs, and then later at the Pike you come through a gap which reveals Dungarvan bay - enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

i did carlow to dungarvan today and back, i went carlow-kilkenny-carrick- dungarvan.

and came back via waterford, to carlow, it was ten minutes longer the waterford way, and the roads are probably slightly better the kilkenny way also..

and i 2nd paddys country pub, also, or the fox and goose also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Like fricatus, I'd go Via Clonmel, but I'd go via M7/N8/M8 to Cashel, take the exit for Clonmel/Roselawn/R688

The route via Caher and back the N24 to Clonmel might be a good but longer than direct route, you'ld be going 120 on the M8 and the N24 has no towns until Clonmel.
    The route from Clonmel to Dungarvan has fairly good surface, but it's windy enough and goes over a good hilly area.

Advertisement