Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Tracking

Options
  • 17-06-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Interesting link here to a new type of software that can automaticly track the movements of people in live cctv footage. It can flag up interesting bits so you wouldnt need a tired underpaid guy staring at a bank of screens. Good thing or bad thing, what do ye think? You could say its an invasion of privacy but that seems to be the way things are going anyway...

http://digg.com/security/Automatic_CCTV_tracking_more_Big_Brother

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

A lot of CCTV systems do this now. Axis and a lot of the IP based ones are trying to develop it but its a good bit off replacing someone. I know of one Chinese manufacturer that has developed a DVR that will track suspicious behaviour and will alert you if a bag has been left unattended for example. The funniest one though is it will alert you of potential shop lifters!!

I'd say this technology is about 15 years from being really good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sss.ie

This software is called analytics. Not all CCTV systems can do it. There are some DVR's that can have this software added, these DVR's are normaly PC based DVR's. I this a very relible tool to cut down on false alarms if it used right. The average cost of just the lience for this type of software is around €3000 per lience channel. The cheaper systems out there are not the most reliable. Honeywell have a system called the Active Alert which is the best on the market. They have now came out with a DVR called the RapidEye which now has 8 channels of analytics embedded into the DVR, this is a major break through. Also ANPR is also on some DVR's.

The problem with some of the systems out there supplied by different security companies is the back up and services which it can supply. We all think that a good deal is great, but if something is cheap there is a reson why. When it comes to cheap DVR's we wont use them in our company. CCTV is not just a camera connected to a recourder and then watch it on the monitor it's alaot more and the same can be said for analytics.

if you go to http://www.securitysystems.ie you will find more information on the Fusion and RapedEye DVR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

What is it with everyone using the Fusion name for everything these days!!!!

Yes I agree with you about the set up but these products are used in very specific situations. Maybe 1-5% of the security market, and so becuase of this you can charge for it. But its all a bit strange a piece of software decideding you are possibly guilty of a crime before you do, Im not sure as a security installer do I like that. This is too much like AI for my liking!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yea privacy is a thing of the past. soon you will need to public facebook accessible IP cameras in your house or society won't trust you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

ah but sure thats nothing...

you could have a few lads walking down the street and the camera's would be more interested in that rather than the lad around the back nickin a car :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sss.ie

whats that got to do with it?

Advertisement