Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding Classical Studies....

Options
  • 17-06-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

If you misread a question is your answer an automatic zero?There was a question on my classics paper today saying "compare the treatment of Odysseus in the Odyssey to Ulysses in the Aeneid".I misread Ulysses for Aeneas and wrote a decent answer on the treament of Odysseus vs Aeneus.If I got zero it could be devastating to my final grade :O .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

He might give you a few marks for effort if its really good. I nearly fell for it too. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

my teacher is going to the meeting of the classical society tomorrow to discuss the marking scheme.He said he'll bring it up.Nice paper overall though.I felt the A but alas it has probably slipped away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

you might get a few, but not much. That question looked painful!

Yeah this is hella annoying.I could've answered that question aswell.It makes me sad it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

meathawk wrote: »
    If you misread a question is your answer an automatic zero?There was a question on my classics paper today saying "compare the treatment of Odysseus in the Odyssey to Ulysses in the Aeneid".I misread Ulysses for Aeneas and wrote a decent answer on the treament of Odysseus vs Aeneus.If I got zero it could be devastating to my final grade :O .

I'd be surprised if you are the only one to make that mistake. They gave you an optical illusionary sentence sequence where the eye automatically generates Aeneas because of the pattern.

It probably wasn't their intention to insert an illusionary sentence but your teacher should do some googleing tonight on psychological testing where examinees consistently misread sentences. Then tomorrow cry foul like hell. If you have the stats to back it up go for a big appeal

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the killer pathway33.It was only after I had left and some mentioned to me that is was Ulysses.The exam was near perfect up until that point.I did it as my last question you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I did it as my last question you see.

The fact that it's your last question and you have been energetically drained for the past 2 weeks. An optical illusion couldnt have come at a worse point.

Actually the guy on countdown to 306 said examiners can see when candidates are tiring near the end of an exam and make an allowance for this but I wouldn't get my hopes up:(. Still nothing wrong with presenting your case as strongly as you can. At least then you will have 1 regret less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bat_Ami

Count yourself lucky! I could not write one word on TWO of the essays- nearly cried in the exam in the middle of all those construction studies peoples!! We simply didn't cover the things that came up! Gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Oh, Stephen.. that is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was anyone else very happy with the exam except.

Actually did anyone else get ****ed with greek art and arch?

**** OFF TERICOTTA IS NOT A BUILDING MATERIAL, ITS USED IN EVERY TEMPLE.

Silly examiner

• Advertisement

other than that the exam was a sucess.Polyphemus and Granicus what were they thinking!?Any classics student could get an honour in that exam.

12.5% is a lot though.I should probably just forget about it.

Advertisement