Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone in my telly

Options
  • 17-06-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to plug the iPhone into my tellyvision? I would be tempted to get one of the new fangled ones if this was the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

What like watch videos on your iphone through your telly?

Em not to sure gona go check youd need this if ye can.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?mco=NDcyNDY3Mg

Edit - Yes your able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is it possible to plug the iPhone into my tellyvision? I would be tempted to get one of the new fangled ones if this was the case.
    You can do it with the original iPhone. You just need a specific TV-Out cable.

93_1_b.JPG

Alternatively, you can get one like this too:

iPhone_00021_2.jpg

You can only watch videos and pictures on the TV, not the springboard itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Alternatively, you can get one like this too:

iPhone_00021_2.jpg

You can only watch videos and pictures on the TV, not the springboard itself.

For my iPod classic anyway it had to be an apple cable. Something to do with a chip or something. The video wont play unless its official. Correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I nearly purchased one of those cables last year in the US when I purchased my iPhone.

The only thing is, given the resolution of the iPhone screen vs. the resolution of a modern TV, I can't imagine the video quality being too good.

Though pictures would be fine I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I nearly purchased one of those cables last year in the US when I purchased my iPhone.

The only thing is, given the resolution of the iPhone screen vs. the resolution of a modern TV, I can't imagine the video quality being too good.

Though pictures would be fine I'd say.

I would have thought the resolution of the file would dictate the resolution on TV. Does the iPhone reduce the movie size to match the screen quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Does the iPhone reduce the movie size to match the screen quality?

Well I know when I am encoding video for my iPhone, I select 320x240 (or whatever the nearest resolution is). So that would look crappy on a 32" LCD.

Not sure about purchased/other videos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The iPhone/iPod touch can output video at a resolution higher than that of it's native screen. I think it's around 640x480.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have some freeware to convert AVIs to MP4 for my iPhone... it asks me it if I want it for viewing on a device screen or TV size. Have converted a few movies and watched them on TV and they can look absolutely fine if the source AVI is top notch.

That said I wouldn't recommend watching serious action stuff from ANY digital source. Dramas, comedies, thrillers etc. all good.

Oh, and avoid the non-apple cables as your device will probably reject them. I know from experience. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have a similar cable for my N95 and both the video and pictures are great on a 40" LCD so I'd imagine it should be the same for the 3GS although I don't know the quality of the new camera on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

anyone tried streaming from orb to their tv? I have it setup so I can stream my movies from the media centre to the iphone, would be nice if when away I could connect the iphone into a TV and watch at decent quality.

Anyone tried it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement