Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you fail maths?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Are there any college courses you can get into? I have no idea what I want to do so all suggestions are welcome.

Also if you think you failed it too what are you planning on doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Thanks for the info. I did higher level so i'll check out some of the IT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

im fairly sure that general arts in UCC does not require a pass in maths. you can check out any courses requirements on qualifax.ie.
    i failed the mock but im pretty confident about the real thing. i put down arts in UCC anyways in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

beaner09 wrote: »
    Are there any college courses you can get into?

depending on the courses you want, you can get into the following colleges with a fail in maths (higher, ordinary or foundation)

ucd
    ucc
    nui galway
    nui maynooth
    dublin business school
    the list goes on..........

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Some colleges run courses at the end of August that allow you to repeat the exam then too, I know NUIM and UCC do anyway, you might want to look into that as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Stick your courage to the sticking place..
    You might not have failed :D

(sorry,couldn't resist)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

i heard in CIT they let you take a special maths exam to improve on the grade you got in the L.C. Because most of their courses require a C3 at least. It's really handy. Not sure what they do in other I.T.'s though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'm really, really, atrociously terrible at maths, so I did foundation. That meant I had to really research my course choices to make absolutely sure foundation was acceptable. As far as I know, even courses (like Arts or languages ones) still require a pass in at least foundation maths simply for matriculation. If that weren't the case I wouldn't've bothered my ass doing maths at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

if you want to do engineering in galway but dont do honours maths they do a weeks maths course and theres a test at the end which most people pass and they get into the course ... (jus my two cents)

"leaving cert maths is a step on which you must fall down or else o'er leap for in your way it lies"

haha sorry saw d quote above and had to add to it

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Anyone know if DCU offers anything?
    I know I did grand on the math paper!(the glory of doing honours for a year, then doing a year of pass^^ ) But a close friend of mine is pretty certain that she failed it because she just blanked during the exam. Any links or anything of the sort is greatly appreciated. :)

MrPirate wrote: »
    Anyone know if DCU offers anything?
    I know I did grand on the math paper!(the glory of doing honours for a year, then doing a year of pass^^ ) But a close friend of mine is pretty certain that she failed it because she just blanked during the exam. Any links or anything of the sort is greatly appreciated. :)

As far as I know DCU accepts foundation on all the humanities courses like international relations, languages etc... I dunno what happens if you fail it. Maybe you're doomed to the life of a scullery maid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

In the NUI colleges there is no maths requirement for matriculation for the following faculties:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes).

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs0809Eng.pdf

In the NUI colleges there is no maths requirement for matriculation for the following faculties:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes).

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs0809Eng.pdf

Well me doing the maths exam was a complete waste of effort. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

OneArt wrote: »
    As far as I know DCU accepts foundation on all the humanities courses like international relations, languages etc... I dunno what happens if you fail it. Maybe you're doomed to the life of a scullery maid?
    If I can remember correctly, she's going for a science subject in DCU, with a backup in linguistics. I'll look in a bit to see if there's anything available; all links still appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

MrPirate wrote: »
    all links still appreciated. :)

www.qualifax.ie

they have a thing (think its called 'useful tools') on the left and you can put in maths and the courses you do not need it for in DCU or any college.

Warning: if you put in 'give me courses that do not need ordinary maths' it will also give you courses that you need higher maths for so tread carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Thanks again for the help

Advertisement