Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for Dole 12 weeks

Options
  • 17-06-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was let go from my job and issued a p45 from the end of March. I applied for the JSA and was informed that because of my tax credits, i was only entitled to 120/week, but that JSB should cover the rest(ie 80/week). I am 25 and living at home so they said there would be no means test. I have recntly received a letter to go to my local office on friday. The problem is i am abroad for the summer doing volunteer work. I really was counting on getting the backlog at some stage (ie.going home to pick it up) but did not inform them after my application that I would be away. I do not expect to be claiming for the time I am away but I was in the country looking for work until 2 weeks ago. any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if you are abroad doing volunteer work you are not eligible for jobseeker's benefit or allowance anyway, since you are supposed to be genuinely available for and seeking work.

As for up to 2 weeks ago, if you are unable to go in for the interview because you're abroad volunteering, I don't think they'll be very sympathetic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 intern1

Is it possible to take holidays whilst waiting for the first dole payments, ie. I could say I am on holiday now but will return in 2 weeks and have the interview then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would just be truthful with them, although they may not be happy that you are only being honest with them after the fact.

Be sure to have evidence of your job search up to and including 2 weeks ago.

Advertisement