Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LiquidMix vs Duende

Options
  • 17-06-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi guys was just wondering what your opinions and views on the Focusrite LiquidMix vs the SSL Duende.

I have a LM but to be honest I have not used it that much, I don't know why this is, I suppose it just never really grabbed me. I am now thinking maybe I should sell the LM and get an SSL Duende mini expanded. Any thoughts? The idea of having 32 channels of SSL is very enticing.

Also is the Buss Compressor on the Duende a good emulation.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

the duende is very cool :) - you need to check firewire compatibility with them before getting one though - i ended up having to getting a separate card for mine (it doesn't chain well) - but gets used on every mix, maxed out (pretty much that buss compressor is scary) - the V3 patch about to come out means you'd get even more power depending on your host cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

Thanks man, I had to get a seperate card for the Liquid Mix as it too was acting funny when chained. The V3 software looks tasty - 64 channels on one Mini!!!

I think it might be worth selling the LM and looking at the Duende. Although knowing me I will keep the LM as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Neurojazz wrote: »
    the V3 patch about to come out

ANYDAYNOW!

I found out the release was delayed from a totally buried forum somewhere ;) - i've been in hell for a good couple of weeks ;) - hopefully it won't wig out my system and explode.

Beta testing brought up a couple of wee issues that needed sorting ... Any Day Now !

• Advertisement

Paul,

What's your take on the LiquidMix vs the SSL?

SeanHurley wrote: »
    Paul,

What's your take on the LiquidMix vs the SSL?

Don't know really . I've never A/Bed them .

I tried the LM when it came out first and thought it was a fun box but why would you need one ?

The firewire issues with the Duende tripped up it's progress somewhat but V3 may give the unit a lease of life.

I have a demo one that we'll squirt V3 in as soon as she's cooked that you're welcome to.

Richard has been scooting around Asia in the last few weeks demonstrating a Beta and reckons he's had no issues.

PaulBrewer wrote: »

I tried the LM when it came out first and thought it was a fun box but why would you need one ?

For me the attraction was the reduction of cpu load as I am working on a native system. My UAD cards sort of replaced my use of the LM.

Are you a fan of the Duende plugins? i.e. are the plugins (a) good emulations of the real thing? (b) worth getting or are there other alternatives?

For me the attraction was the reduction of cpu load as I am working on a native system. My UAD cards sort of replaced my use of the LM.

Are you a fan of the Duende plugins? i.e. are the plugins (a) good emulations of the real thing? (b) worth getting or are there other alternatives?

The Duende+UAD are great - two very different beasts - i prefer the cambridge eq on the UAD :) and the SSL takes over the compression...

I'm looking at replacing my powercore with brainworx digital as i need decent M/S and the MD3 doesn't have solo M/S - pathetic.

With those 3 you'd be set for life for mastering ITB :)

(a) good emulations of the real thing? (b) worth getting or are there other alternatives?

I couldn't honestly answer either question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 savage cold

have both along with the tc powercore very handy indeed even if you run hd dsp's are the way to go for alot of stuff I would say buy both:)

I've got a nearly fully loaded Powercore Firewire and it's becoming redundant with the UAD taking over most jobs now. Once i check what the situation with license transferal is i'll be taking to the flog audio section :)

Advertisement