Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do CIE allow you to bring a bike on a train when it's off peak times?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering cause basically I am getting a train and doing it already and was wondering if the inspectors got on would they have a problem with a non fold up bike even if it was an empty train?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Probably not unless there is a compartment for bikes, they are pr1cks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd say it depends on whether the inspector was in a good mood or not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

considering how useless this move was, thank you, for anyone else interested the answer is yes they will allow you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jay D wrote: »
    considering how useless this move was, thank you, for anyone else interested the answer is yes they will allow you to.

Only on main line trains where there is a guards van.

NOT on Dart, unless the bike is folded AND in a bag.

Set up a petition that vans be attached to the end of all Darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You wouldn't swing a cat in the freight section of a 20.000, I believe 4 is the very maximum IR will accept on long distance routes and they must be booked in advance.

It'is also a pity they also had to sacrafice the FastTrack service when they rolled out these trains. In Holland they designate a whole carrage just for push bikes on some interurban trains.

Should be fun when the Government expects 200,000 cyclists to be on the road in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Jay D wrote: »

They will allow you to, but only on trains marked Intercity on the timetable or some commuter routes that are operated by a 22k.

There's a rough guide to what services will take bikes here

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

This isn't entirely accurate so it's best to ring ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most/all 22000s can carry 3 - 2 racks and one cupboard.

Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast are listed as 6, but can probably carry more.

A limited number of diesel railcars can carry some on hooks in an area with fold-up seats.

Only folded bikes are allowed on other trains, but you can often get away with it when its quiet.

Advertisement