Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating possibly

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:38pm

Ok, so ive had a hectic couple of years and i just havent done nearly as well as i could have in my exams. Id like to wait a year and take them again, but id rather have my eyes gouged out with a ladle than have to actually go back to school. I learn far better on my own anyway.

I was wondering, can you retake the exams without retaking 6th year?
    Please help before my head explodes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

yes, you can be homeschooled all you like, just have to apply by yourself and do it in an exam center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yep. if I was repeating I definitely wouldn't go into school either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yep repeating as an external student is no problem. Just go to www.examinations.ie when the application form is up. I think you have to apply by january.

Edit: There is no problem with subjects that do not have a practical element to them. With home ec, construction or ag science you couldnt really do that alone as you couldnt do the practical element. Also history, religion and geog have a project to be supervised/signed off by a teacher. Physics, chem and biol should have experiments done in the book (though you might get away without if you dont get inspected).

So for a complete clean run you could do

Irish
    english
    maths
    all foreign languages
    business
    economics
    accounting
    applied maths
    classical studies

(and you're probably pretty safe with physics, chem and biol because theres a 1 day experiment thing for the leaving in some colleges which might cover you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

if your living in dublin & you have some cash :o

it might be a good idea to contact the institute if your doing practical subjects like ag science or geography, they deal with repeaters constantly so could offer you some advice im sure + they allow a lot of external candidates sit their leaving there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the ag man

Last year i was your very position.
    I felt I had done alot of work, I wasn't sure if I could do it all again.
    I was also humiliated with my result, four of my closest friends got 500+,I'd zero offers on my CAO.
    I felt like I just needed a year to sort a few things out on sylabusses,do ordinary maths and I'd be back in action.
    My Mam had enrolled me in O'Connell's C.B.S, I was initially reluctant ;new school , new teachers, no friends, 1hr commute twice a day not to mention a completely new English course!
    Now with my last exam coming up on thursday I've made the best decision of my life. The nine months between September and June went like a Flash.
    In O'Connell C.B.S (north richmond st. Dublin1)I was with lads and lassies for who were in the tute last year,they said if it was again and they knew about O'Connell they'd go again. this is a student not a teacher talking , even ask
    Cheeky monkey!!!!

so for the love of god repeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

pathway33 wrote: »
    So for a complete clean run you could do

Irish
    english
    maths
    all foreign languages
    business
    economics
    accounting
    applied maths
    classical studies

(and you're probably pretty safe with physics, chem and biol because theres a 1 day experiment thing for the leaving in some colleges which might cover you)

You could also do Art History and Craft and Music.
    Like when you do the written papers, you would attend in a local school for the days of the practical exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

i might have to repeat as well. can i do a fetac course next year and repeat the lc at the end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

might be repeating also, i was wondering if i apply to do it again can i keep certain results the same, like im in no mood to do maths and irish again as i feel i did well in them and english will be a different course, i just wanna do the 4 subjects i picked, i think it would be much handier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

brennaldo wrote: »
    might be repeating also, i was wondering if i apply to do it again can i keep certain results the same, like im in no mood to do maths and irish again as i feel i did well in them and english will be a different course, i just wanna do the 4 subjects i picked, i think it would be much handier

you don't have to do irish english and maths again but you can only use them for matriculation basic entry requirements. You cannot add points from your 2009 irish english maths results to points from your 3 best results in 2010. If you want to do medicine even the entry requirements have to come from the one sitting.

If you really dont want to do irish english and maths again the best thing to do is do the 4 you picked and take up 2 more short course subjects (economics is supposed to be a short course). Physics/chem combined is supposed to be easy but you cant do that subject if you are already doing physics or chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

pathway33 wrote: »
    you don't have to do irish english and maths again but you can only use them for matriculation basic entry requirements. You cannot add points from your 2009 irish english maths results to points from your 3 best results in 2010. If you want to do medicine even the entry requirements have to come from the one sitting.

If you really dont want to do irish english and maths again the best thing to do is do the 4 you picked and take up 2 more short course subjects (economics is supposed to be a short course). Physics/chem combined is supposed to be easy but you cant do that subject if you are already doing physics or chemistry.

ah to be honest it might just be easier to do irish and maths again, with another year of them 2 il be aiming for A's no problem, definatly not doin english again though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement