Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terthering- can you explain it to me

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i;ve seen Terthering mentioned a lot in relation to the iphone......what is it:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 -simon-

Think you mean Tethering.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

is this available on the 3g or just to the new 3gs ??

Would be good for my macbook on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 -simon-

I think it will work on your iPhone 3G, you will just have to update the firmware to 3.0.

It will cost you also!

More info here:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

Oh i don't have one yet. Getting a 3gs !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

-simon- wrote: »
    I think it will work on your iPhone 3G, you will just have to update the firmware to 3.0.

It will cost you also!

More info here:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

Thats in the Uk where they have unlimited data on the iPhone. Ireland O2 has not released prices yet and they limit customers to 1Gb which hopefully means they will allow it under that allowance.

Eitherway it is simple to enable tethering without jailbreaking etc. Instructions available from jellysms.com/blog

Tried it out today and works well on macs / pcs. Each machine though needs to have iTunes 8.2 as that installs network adapter drivers needed for it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tethering isn't unique to the iPhone, it basically means accessing (internet) data through another device, typically a phone.

I could set up tethering through my Nokia 6230.. not that I'd want to mind, last time I tried, my credit ran out after 1 web page, more or less..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

is this available on the 3g or just to the new 3gs ??

Would be good for my macbook on the go.

Using it at the moment on my macbook / 3G iPhone and works well for browsing / checking emails. The average speed is just over 1Mb. Perfect for on the go stuff but no heavy downloads!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Amalgam wrote: »
    Tethering isn't unique to the iPhone, it basically means accessing (internet) data through another device, typically a phone.

I could set up tethering through my Nokia 6230.. not that I'd want to mind, last time I tried, my credit ran out after 1 web page, more or less..

Exactly.

Everyone thinks it's something 'new'.

I could do it on the phone I had in 2006/2007.

As well as EVERY other phone I've had since then...

Oh i have that on my E51 since i got it with a meteor data bundle......but didn't know the techie term:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

SirDarren wrote: »
    Exactly.

Everyone thinks it's something 'new'.

I could do it on the phone I had in 2006/2007.

As well as EVERY other phone I've had since then...

That's true, it has been available on many phones for a long time now, just like skype and various other data intensive apps that require a powerful device to allow them function properly.

Have you ever tried actually using a tethered Nokia or sony Ericsson as a mobile modem? Worse than useless, not just due to a lack of proper 3G, but due to the lack of processing power to manage the up/down data transfer.

Like a lot of features on the iPhone, thye have been available im some guise before but it does them properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Victor_M wrote: »
    That's true, it has been available on many phones for a long time now, just like skype and various other data intensive apps that require a powerful device to allow them function properly.

Have you ever tried actually using a tethered Nokia or sony Ericsson as a mobile modem? Worse than useless, not just due to a lack of proper 3G, but due to the lack of processing power to manage the up/down data transfer.

Like a lot of features on the iPhone, thye have been available im some guise before but it does them properly.

Yeah I've used it when I used to be a Sony Ericsson user.

Wasn't the best, but it was in a rural area,so it was still alright.

Expensive of course thanks to o2.

Advertisement